Opinions please on possible new A65 cafe Ingelton

Just looking for opinions :laughing: due to a changes in personal circumstances :neutral_face: after loading at Ingelton quarry I noticed that the old Little Chef premises is all boarded up on the A65. Looking at it,it’s ready made for a cafe,trailer swaps,showers etc etc. Now I know plenty of trucks,holiday traffic and bikers use this road ,so like I ask opinions please as to whether if would work, :smiley:

It will all depend on quality and price. Good grub good service and sensible prices and it should sell itself. Unfortunately most times these places don’t stick to the basics.

Good luck if you have a go though

There is a reason why it’s boarded up…

the nodding donkey:

… which is :question: :question:

^^^^ it’s shut?

To add to Nodding Donkeys there is a reason why it’s boarded up, and there is a reason why many cafés fail. But Little Chef is a chain that had to make money for it’s share holders, has an image problem and is mostly catering to tourist traffic.
Looking at the site on Google, I think the parking area seems quite small for trucks, and I wonder if you might be fighting the local nimbys as soon as you mention trucks parking.

As for what I look for in a good café, decent food at a decent price, but what I think is decent food and what some others think is decent differ. Some want a big cheap meals and aren’t worried by the quality of the produce used. I’d prefer a smaller meal, but using better ingredients. looking at the area I’m sure there is plenty of good quality local produce available. For over night parking decent clean shower’s and toilet facilities.
The other thing is even if you get it right, it will take time to establish the business, obviously some trade will come from advertising, but you’ll need the returnees and word of mouth and that takes time, and also don’t frighten away the tourist traffic, they’ll be your jam on your bread and butter business. I know plenty of people who prefer to use local cafes on there annual pilgrimage, but don’t want to feel they not welcome because they’re not commercial drivers.

Might work if it`s done properly, after it closed as a Little Chef it was opened up as café 65. It seemed a half hearted attempt, (home made signs and erratic opening times) so hardly suprising when it closed again shortly after, hopes this helps.

Wrighty.

tarmactipper:
Just looking for opinions :laughing: due to a changes in personal circumstances :neutral_face: after loading at Ingelton quarry I noticed that the old Little Chef premises is all boarded up on the A65. Looking at it,it’s ready made for a cafe,trailer swaps,showers etc etc. Now I know plenty of trucks,holiday traffic and bikers use this road ,so like I ask opinions please as to whether if would work, :smiley:

Hi Tarmactipper,
You will have to be quick plans are in with Craven District Council to extend
the building for a cafe and house.Not big enough for you lads. Was it you who
woke me up from my lunchtime siesta i live on laundry lane.
Cheers Malc.

Don’t forget lads them little chef,s or most of them were built on the sites of transport cafes,some of them good one,s and still trading.
regards dave.

As a quaint café … go for it.
As a truckstop / transport café, youll give yourself an headache fighting the nimbys and beurocracy

The Rustler:

the nodding donkey:

… which is :question: :question:

It didn’t make enough money to stay open when it was a cafe before.

duh…

I think most folk would be happy to pay a premium for good facilities and food, just need to find a way of keeping out the riff-raff that only want to use the parking and get something for nothing, run their engines for ten minutes every hour, etc etc etc

Just open a Costa franchise… license to print money. Everyone loves paying £3 for a cup of warm milk these days.