Opinions on this route

One of the longer routes we do currently is Swansea to Livingston, with the idea being you try and get as close to Dunfermline as possible after you’re tipped.

I was just interested in your opinions of your best route and the one you’d take. Ive just parked up near Edinburgh airport after possibly hitting every bit of bad traffic today between the two drops. Granted there was something bad that happened between j12-13 on the M6 that closed southbound so I got off and went up the A449 through Penkridge, but the combined roadworks on the M6 just seem to kill my time very trip I make using that road. I always try and use the M1, A66 if I can.

Thoughts appreciated

I go up the M5 and M6 to Scotland twice a week through the night and increasingly find whatever nonsense is on the M6 between Stafford and Knutsford is losing me enough time to make it more worthwhile going off at the M54 and up through Whitchurch, which is about 35 minutes longer than a clear M6 - but there never seems to be a clear M6 any more.

So from Swansea I’d guess it would just be a case of taking the A465 to Hereford then A49 all the way up to Lymm and joining the M6 at J20 (if you can get under Pontrilas bridge?) or A40 then A483 up to Chester and over to Lymm from there. If you can manage up to Lymm (or even just Chester) in your first 4:30 then you’ll be fine to get up to Livingston in your second hit.

From there I go M6/M74 up to J5, then on to A725 through Bellshill and on to the M8 at J7 but if I was really tight for time there is a way of shaving five minutes or so off it by leaving the M74 at J12 and taking the A70 east to Carstairs, then A721 west for a mile or so and on to the A706 north up through Forth and Breich and joining the M8 at J4.

Are you planned to make it on to Dunfermline in 9 hours or is it a once a week thing and you’re using 10s? Would’ve thought the latter as I’d say you’d be struggling big time for the former.

M1 / A66 cannot possibly be doing you any favours time wise. I know the M6 is a cesspit but going over the other side to come back must be slowing you down a bit.

Yeah I don’t use the M1, A66 unless I’m coming from one of the Amazons off the M1 or A1 really.
If it’s straight to Dunfermline and not Livingston, I’ve started just staying on the A1 all the way to Edinburgh, depending what time I’ll hit Newcastle, that seems quite a decent way.

It’s not planned for a 9 hour drive, although I’ve done Dunfermline to Weybridge, tipped and parked up in Cobham in just under 9 hours a couple of times but had a nice clear run most of the way down. That was going across the A66 and down the M1.

It just seems that with the M5/M42 split roadworks, the 30mph roadworks up to West Brom and roadworks most of the way up to Manchester, you’ve got no chance.

We run about 13ft 10” so I’m not sure about that Pontrilas bridge.

Swansea to M5 (via Heads of valley road)
M5/M6/M74/A725/M8.Livingston.

There are shorter in distance routes but they could take virtually the same (or even more) time imo.
If time was the main consideration that would be the way I would go.

Not the best could you try going through Mid Wales i know its slower but could avoid all the hold ups on the motorway

robroy:
Swansea to M5 (via Heads of valley road)
M5/M6/M74/A725/M8.Livingston.

There are shorter in distance routes but they could take virtually the same (or even more) time imo.
If time was the main consideration that would be the way I would go.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
thats the one to use.
if your working for one of those run legal mobs,then stick to the main route,
unless your nobbing a tart in dunfermline then work it out in your head by the time you get to hamilton,and pick your ■■■■■■■■■■■■.
let them know and if they dont like it,suggest they contact the roads department.
plenty of parking along that route from there till your drop?
stick to that,and theres less chance of getting done with a camera van,or doing a stobart and shaving the roof off.

Robs Way is the way I thought was best, it’s just it’s still a ■■■■■■■ nightmare :imp:

I had parking worked out by the time I got to Southwaite, the only reason I didn’t park up in Livingston was because I knew a place I could park towards the airport.

Planners aren’t an issue, just let them know what’s happening and they’re fine with whatever you need to do to keep legal, it’s just getting as close to Dunfermline as possible helps because we have a yard there and it makes it easier for the next days route

Will_161:
Robs Way is the way I thought was best, it’s just it’s still a [zb] nightmare :imp:

I had parking worked out by the time I got to Southwaite, the only reason I didn’t park up in Livingston was because I knew a place I could park towards the airport.

Planners aren’t an issue, just let them know what’s happening and they’re fine with whatever you need to do to keep legal, it’s just getting as close to Dunfermline as possible helps because we have a yard there and it makes it easier for the next days route

Btw Southwaite would not be my first choice to park either.

robroy:

Will_161:
Robs Way is the way I thought was best, it’s just it’s still a [zb] nightmare :imp:

Btw Southwaite would not be my first choice to park either.

It was only for my 45min break to use my coffee vouchers :smiley:

I don’t stay in services if I can help it.