Opinions on NDC Training Croydon... (Now passed C )

Hello everyone, thought i’d better introduce myself as I have used the guides on here to get this far with my training for LGV, but now I have a couple of questions…

As of last week I have successfully passed my Module 1 Theory Test and Hazard Perception, and I also passed my Module 2 CPC Theory (which was pretty easy after studying for the theory).

I’m now looking for a trainer to do my Module 3 and 4 with, the nearest one to me being NDC in Croydon - only about 10 mins from me.

So im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and how their quote of just over £1000 for a 5 day course including both modules 3 and 4 compares.
It concerns me that the module 4 is included within that time as that will surely eat into my driver training time?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome mk1chris :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

mk1chris:
I have successfully passed my Module 1 Theory Test and Hazard Perception

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

mk1chris:
I’m now looking for a trainer to do my Module 3 and 4 with

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

mk1chris:
their quote of just over £1000 for a 5 day course including both modules 3 and 4 compares.
It concerns me that the module 4 is included within that time as that will surely eat into my driver training time?

Ask for a breakdown for the time to be spent on each of the modules - especially ask this - how many ‘behind the wheel’ driving hours will I get?

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:
A read of THIS POST may also be useful.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

mk1chris:
As of last week I have successfully passed my Module 1 Theory Test and Hazard Perception, and I also passed my Module 2 CPC Theory (which was pretty easy after studying for the theory).

Can I rightly assume that you had no formal training for any of the theory modules ?

If no, do you think you would have benefitted if you had ?

ROG:

mk1chris:

Can I rightly assume that you had no formal training for any of the theory modules ?

If no, do you think you would have benefitted if you had ?

No formal training at all, just got the dvla hazard dvd and theory cd-rom, along with the guide to lgv and worked my own way through the material. I got 86% on hazard, 96% on theory and 90% on cpc theory.
I did all three in a day and a morning and just booked them through the website.

I could possibly be more clued up in certain areas, but the tests themselves are fairly straightforward - although I found the cpc theory a bit wishy-washy. So I don’t think I would really benefit too much from training in this area, but for the Module 3 thats a different matter - I want as much as I can get :wink:

mk1chris:
No formal training at all

That has been my take on all the theory modules although many trainers might disagree !!
And you got good scores in them all :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

PS - did you get the package of cheap theory books etc from HERE ?

mk1chris:
So im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them ?

Website = NDC but Neither I nor any other members seem to have had any experience of them (good or bad) that I can find on this site.

Hi

I’m a trainer from the other end of the country - so I’m not trying to poach you!! I’ve dealt with National at Croydon having sold them a truck about 3 years ago. I’ve had a fair bit of contact since and many professional discussions.

I would say that they are a well set up school of some substance and you will probably get on very well with them. They were in the process of setting up their own test centre but I think that’s on hold at the moment.

Go and have a look at them and see what you think. Talk to the instructors - have a trial drive.

Best of luck :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
PS - did you get the package of cheap theory books etc from HERE ?

Sure did :wink:

I went for an assessment drive with them, and they seem quite well set up at the National Driving Centre in Croydon, unfortunately they can’t fit me in until mid January - so they must be doing good business.

EP training have said they can fit me in in 3 weeks time, so i’ll probably go with them since they have a good rep on this forum. :smiley:

Seems like a good plan :smiley:

let us know how i fancy doing my c + e with them in the new year. im also thinking of going with ndc too. i think i would prefer to learn in an artic rather than a w&d

Just thought i’d update this thread with news…

After I had decided to go with EP training, NDC gave me a call the next day to say they had a cancellation for the next week and they’d do my training, test and module 4 for £50 cheaper if I could do it as i was doing them a favour.

So I graciously took them up on it and did 4 and a bit days training with them before test on friday afternoon. My instructor, steve, was very good. Nice bloke overall, and he seemed to know his stuff.

Unfortunately I didn’t pass the test as I had the last slot on friday afternoon, and the examiner decided to take me through Guildford town centre - which left me open to make plenty of mistakes, and sure enough I made one thanks to a car going round the roundabout without an indicator on, and me misjudging where he was going. Other than that, I only got 6 minors. So i took comfort in my otherwise good drive in a difficult situation.

Roll forward to today, had my retest and passed with 10 minors, but nothing serious. :sunglasses:
It certainly was a different test experience going out midweek at 11am and not going anywhere near the town centre.

So just wanted to thank steve and the guys at NDC, I really enjoyed my training and am glad to finally hold that all important bit of blue paper (oh and the red one from module 4 :wink: )

:smiley: :smiley:

well done for passing! did you drive to guildford every day to do the training? if so how much time roughly did you spend in the test area :question:

did you feel croydon to guildford every day was a waste of time :question:

guildford is a ball ache to drive around at the best of times. even worse at rush hour times, so well done on the first test (even though you failed, i blame the car driver :laughing: ).
I think the test time has got something to do with passing the test, during rush hour theres a lot more things going on around you so theres less time to spot potential hazards etc, as well as remembering to drive how DSA want you to. I found that true when doing my car test 5 years ago, first couple of tests were during rush hour, i found i was rushing things and getting a bit stressed. 3rd test i did was around mid morning, it was much quieter and i was able to stay relaxed and more focused.
All I want to do is pass class2 so if someone has got a £1000 i can borrow that would be great :laughing:

joedwyer1:
well done for passing! did you drive to guildford every day to do the training? if so how much time roughly did you spend in the test area :question:

did you feel croydon to guildford every day was a waste of time :question:

The days kind of went like this:

Start 8am
1hr drive
Hand over to other trainee for 1 hr drive.
Arrive in Guildford 10am
1 1/2 hr drive round Guildford Test routes
1/2hr Lunch
Other trainee 1 1/2hr round Guildford
1hr drive back toward Croydon
Other Trainee 1hr drive back toward Croydon.
Arrive back 3ish.
Any remaining time for manouvres and braking in the yard.

You could see the drive to and from Guildford as a waste, but I ofset that with the lack of travelling to the training centre as NDC is only 10 mins from my house. Next nearest trainer is about 40mins drive (on a good day).

So I easily saved myself 5hrs of travelling and petrol time over the week. Plus i suppose it is of benefit not to just learn how to drive test routes as I’m sure when I get a job it won’t just be around the test centre :laughing:

Interesting that I’ve currently got a trainee with me from Guilford. Maybe Mansfield is a better bet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: