Opinions on a job offer for bulk tipping

Hi all,

Just looking for peoples opinions on a job offer I have that I’ve accepted but not due to start for a couple of weeks while I work my notice. Im new in terms of class 1 driving - 6ish months of experience on box trailers doing multi drop which I’ve decided isnt for me.

Went for interview and got offered the job (advised i had no experience on bulk tipping but was told someone would be out with me for a week - then a week shadowing - truck following me or me following it to site.

This is what I was told

Class 1 - bulk tippers
mon-fri tramping
£700 per week after tax take home increasing to £750 per week take home after 3 months.
No hours advised but was told would be maxing out on a monday and back in the yard by dinner time friday. The take home pay includes night out money at £28 a night out which is tax free. So I’m not sure how yo work out a rough hourly rate!

Does this seem like a decent crust to earn? Is bulk tipping a decent job? I always seem to see tippers racing around on the road at breakneck speed with not much regard to anyone (not tarring all drivers with the same brush but predominently seems to be the tippers that do this?

Thanks in advance!

Night out money is not part of wages, so -£100 means wages are £600. 50 hr week is £12 per hr. 60 hr week is £10 per hr. Your choice :slight_smile:

I tend to ignore the hourly rate when tramping.
You’re out in the truck all week.
Does what you’ll take home for the week feel enough for being out all week?
If it does, happy days.
£750 in ya pocket for being out Mon to Fri seems ok to me.

Awful salary job, they will max you out, on ■■■■ money.

SWEDISH BLUE:
Night out money is not part of wages, so -£100 means wages are £600. 50 hr week is £12 per hr. 60 hr week is £10 per hr. Your choice :slight_smile:

But the OP says it is take home rate, you haven`t taken tax and NI into account. :smiley:

£750 minus (4x28) is about £640 a week wages. About £33,000 pa
If that is take home that is about £42,000 before tax and NI are deducted.
reed.co.uk/tax-calculator/42000

Working back again, that is about-ish £800 per week gross.
If you assume 2x15, 2x13, and 1 x 6, hr days ? (total guess) take off 4 hrs for breaks you`ve worked 68hrs for your 800 quid. At a flat rate that is------£11-75 per hr. Roughly.

not special money, but tbh I’m quite surprised basic is that high. I’ve found its usually a low basic with a load bonus or “percent share in what the truck earns” kinda thing with bulkers, was when I did them a year or so back anyway.

Franglais:

SWEDISH BLUE:

But the OP says it is take home rate, you haven`t taken tax and NI into account. :smiley:

£750 minus (4x28) is about £640 a week wages. About £33,000 pa
If that is take home that is about £42,000 before tax and NI are deducted.
reed.co.uk/tax-calculator/42000

Working back again, that is about-ish £800 per week gross.
If you assume 2x15, 2x13, and 1 x 6, hr days ? (total guess) take off 4 hrs for breaks you`ve worked 68hrs for your 800 quid. At a flat rate that is------£11-75 per hr. Roughly.

If Frangers is right in his calculations…
£11 .75 right through ain’t brilliant is it :unamused:

Tipper work you will be constantly chasing your arse,.and being pushed I would say, it kinda goes with the territory, then your time is suddenly up, and you end up parking in some sh hole lay by somewhere.

The fact that they specify you HAVE to max out on certain days.and the fact that they include night out money in their wage…(ONLY to make it look more attractive than it really is) , says a lot about them to me.

I ain’t a fan of tipper work anyway, but if it was me, I would not go anywhere near it… but you ain’t me, so it’s your call.

But bear in mind that there are better, easier , and more lucrative in terms of pay, type jobs out there doing tramping, if you are prepared to search for them…which area are you in?

If you have already committed yourself by accepting, then just try it out, if only to get 6 months more experience, and see for yourself, then sack it off.
All I can say to you from an experienced driver is don’t let them push you, but if it’s tippers it’s more a case of don’t let them push you…Too Much. :neutral_face:
Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :wink:

I know Class 1 tipper drivers who’re on £11.50 per hour and they’re home every night. I don’t think they’re paid sufficiently for that work, so your job offer is even more insufficient by my standards. I’m betting they aren’t paying for secure parking so you’ll be sleeping in a layby too, with all the fun and games that go with that.

But, it’s your call.

However… Before you start work you should be given written details of your hours and pay etc in an employment contract. I’m aware of companies who believe scheduling you for 60 (or more!) hours a week is legal - it isn’t.

Not only should they not be counting night out money as wages, but they should not be telling you what your “take home pay” is, there’s nothing to guarantee your deductions are the same as A.N Other driver

Zac_A:
I know Class 1 tipper drivers who’re on £11.50 per hour and they’re home every night. I don’t think they’re paid sufficiently for that work, so your job offer is even more insufficient by my standards. I’m betting they aren’t paying for secure parking so you’ll be sleeping in a layby too, with all the fun and games that go with that.

But, it’s your call.

However… Before you start work you should be given written details of your hours and pay etc in an employment contract. I’m aware of companies who believe scheduling you for 60 (or more!) hours a week is legal - it isn’t.

Not only should they not be counting night out money as wages, but they should not be telling you what your “take home pay” is, there’s nothing to guarantee your deductions are the same as A.N Other driver

Imo…The only reason they ‘know’ what his take home pay will be, is because they will push all their drivers to the max working day every day, in which case they will all earn the same…give or take a few quid for each personal circumstance .

neon989:
Hi all,

Just looking for peoples opinions on a job offer I have that I’ve accepted but not due to start for a couple of weeks while I work my notice. Im new in terms of class 1 driving - 6ish months of experience on box trailers doing multi drop which I’ve decided isnt for me.

Went for interview and got offered the job (advised i had no experience on bulk tipping but was told someone would be out with me for a week - then a week shadowing - truck following me or me following it to site.

This is what I was told

Class 1 - bulk tippers
mon-fri tramping
£700 per week after tax take home increasing to £750 per week take home after 3 months.
No hours advised but was told would be maxing out on a monday and back in the yard by dinner time friday. The take home pay includes night out money at £28 a night out which is tax free. So I’m not sure how yo work out a rough hourly rate!

Does this seem like a decent crust to earn? Is bulk tipping a decent job? I always seem to see tippers racing around on the road at breakneck speed with not much regard to anyone (not tarring all drivers with the same brush but predominently seems to be the tippers that do this?

Thanks in advance!

3 things I’ll comment on here.

1. Night out money should never be used when talking about weekly/monthly pay. Plus you don’t it get when off on holiday. Companies only use it to make their crap pay seem more appealing.

2. I don’t care what type of work we as driver’s do, no company should be planning or expecting you to max your working day to a 15 hour shift in advance. The 15 hours should solely be there for emergencies for running out of hours/getting back to base/parking up after being held up for whatever reason.

3. Me personally I wouldn’t go anywhere near tipper work based on some of the things you’ve already alluded to and from speaking to driver’s who’ve done it. You mention about them rushing around at break neck speed, that’s because it is likely to be push, push, push from the office and no-one should have to work in an environment like that.
    Plus while I have no experience of whatever company you are potentially going to be working for, I would bet my mortgage that you will also be pushed to max hours on Tuesday, Wednesday abd Thursday and they are dangling the carrot of a lunchtime finish on a Friday to make that look more appealing.

Some people like tippers, some dont. Some like tramping some dont.
If home every night you “work” unpaid on your commute. How far is the depot?

I tend to agree with this

trevorking1964:
I tend to ignore the hourly rate when tramping.
You’re out in the truck all week.
Does what you’ll take home for the week feel enough for being out all week?
If it does, happy days.
£750 in ya pocket for being out Mon to Fri seems ok to me.

Tippers do have reputation for max hrs, but I`m not sure how that compares with other companies today? Everyone in haulage wants the wheels to turn, so are tippers really that much worse? Enough posts about box jockeys, fridges, etc etc all being seen as going too fast or whatever.

Id certainly consider it if I was looking. Its not as if youre giving up a job you really like, so why not give this un a square go? Better than summat else after you get so pee-ed off you`ll take anything.

Sounds like maybe your on a salary/ same pay no matter what hours you work.
If they guarantee you finishing early Friday then doesn’t sound to bad.
Bear in mind tramping you have to buy food supplies etc to last all week be it from pub takeaway cafe. Or you stock up at supermarket take your own stuff.
Which can easily cost you easily £15 a day £60 a week depending on what you eat

edd1974:
Sounds like maybe your on a salary/ same pay no matter what hours you work.
If they guarantee you finishing early Friday then doesn’t sound to bad.
Bear in mind tramping you have to buy food supplies etc to last all week be it from pub takeaway cafe. Or you stock up at supermarket take your own stuff.
Which can easily cost you easily £15 a day £60 a week depending on what you eat

Don`t you eat when you are at home?
If you want to economise then you can self cater in the cab for the same price as at home.
Getting out the cab is a good move however IMHO, and after all that is what the £28 n/o money is for.

Thanks for all the replies. I have accepted it advised I will be giving my notice when I get back from a 3 day top scotch run. But I’m not liking some of the stuff that I’m seeing here… about hours maxing all the time and being run around like a blue asked fly! The company in question operates out of sleaford and Metheringham and runs about 40 bulk tippers period. I didnt want to name them in case that’s not allowed? It seems like a decent payday but if working 60 hours a week then it’s really not and even less appealing with night out money added in there already!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

neon989:
Thanks for all the replies. I have accepted it advised I will be giving my notice when I get back from a 3 day top scotch run. But I’m not liking some of the stuff that I’m seeing here… about hours maxing all the time and being run around like a blue asked fly! The company in question operates out of sleaford and Metheringham and runs about 40 bulk tippers period. I didnt want to name them in case that’s not allowed? It seems like a decent payday but if working 60 hours a week then it’s really not and even less appealing with night out money added in there already!

Maybe you should get more details off them mate before you give your notice in …give them a bell and discuss your concerns, and some of the stuff said to you on here.

If they are a decent outfit they will listen and clarify, if you get a 'take it or leave it '/CBA go any further,.response, knock it on the head, because they clearly are not a decent outfit who give consideration to drivers.

neon989:

Surely…they can’t avoid the 48 hrs WTD average over a 17? week period.

So, I would give it a go and see for myself (and try and work to 48 hrs plus breaks).

neon989:
The company in question operates out of sleaford and Metheringham and runs about 40 bulk tippers period. I didnt want to name them in case that’s not allowed?

Yes because that would be against the LAWS :smiley:

A good mate of mine is on for them, he’s happy as a pig in the proverbial ■■■, left our place where he was on agency and the work slackened off and he could no longer guarantee getting five days a week in. He’s on tippers after coming off curtainsiders on the Bibby contract out of Louth.

He’s home every night though and very rarely works over 12 hours. Apparently they are very good to work for in the respect of being treated and spoken to like a grown up.

Give it a whirl, you may love it, you may hate it, but as they’re not known for holding your family hostage you can easily walk away if you want to.

Edit to add; just rang my mate and if it’s the same place as I alluded to he’s been there nigh on three years and has NEVER taken a reduced rest period yet. Make of that what you will.

the maoster:

neon989:
The company in question operates out of sleaford and Metheringham and runs about 40 bulk tippers period. I didnt want to name them in case that’s not allowed?

Yes because that would be against the LAWS :smiley:

A good mate of mine is on for them, he’s happy as a pig in the proverbial ■■■, left our place where he was on agency and the work slackened off and he could no longer guarantee getting five days a week in. He’s on tippers after coming off curtainsiders on the Bibby contract out of Louth.

He’s home every night though and very rarely works over 12 hours. Apparently they are very good to work for in the respect of being treated and spoken to like a grown up.

Give it a whirl, you may love it, you may hate it, but as they’re not known for holding your family hostage you can easily walk away if you want to.

Edit to add; just rang my mate and if it’s the same place as I alluded to he’s been there nigh on three years and has NEVER taken a reduced rest period yet. Make of that what you will.

I like how you did that! [emoji23] yes that’s the one. So your mates proper happy there then? I must admit when I met them they seemed decent and said how they only want decent people in etc as they have got rid of all the divas moaners and bad eggs. The owner in touch with the drivers etc. It seemed pretty decent but I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been “sold” a dream and its turned out to be coal! I don’t mind working especially when tramping I just didn’t wanna get stitched up maxing hours if it was a fixed weekly amount regardless if you now what I mean!

Seriously mate, only you can make that decision. Personally it’s not for me despite being two miles from my house, but only because I’m not a fan of tipper work and getting filthy on occasion (too old for that shizzle) and also the money is three or four hundred pounds south of what I’m currently receiving. Never say never though.

the maoster:
Seriously mate, only you can make that decision. Personally it’s not for me despite being two miles from my house, but only because I’m not a fan of tipper work and getting filthy on occasion (too old for that shizzle) and also the money is three or four hundred pounds south of what I’m currently receiving. Never say never though.

Appreciate it. Feel miles better knowing that your pal is there. I’ll give it a shot! Thanks