Operators' licence requirements for private use?

Hi

Are operators’ licences and CPC’s required for private use of HGV’s and 7.5t vehicles in the UK?

I just registered my 8 tonner here in Finland as my private vehicle, and was slightly surprised that I wasn’t asked for my CPC or what I was going to do about an operators’ licence. Pleasantly surprised, I should add :laughing:

Out of interest I asked my sister, who still lives in the UK, what her horsey friends do about their horse wagons. She hadn’t heard of CPC’s or operators’ licences at all. Is it possible that this covered by the farm where they all park up, or is it really not required if you are just using a wagon as your private van??

“Z”

Check out this thread it may give you some information.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

Actually it looks as though I have found out what I wanted to know from the transportoffice.gov.uk website. As far as I can make out the key phrase is “in connection with a trade or business”. So, it would appear that for example horseboxes kept for hobby use, or someone who just wanted to use a wagon as his van, should be exempt from having to have an operators’ licence?

Zetorpilot:
Actually it looks as though I have found out what I wanted to know from the transportoffice.gov.uk website. As far as I can make out the key phrase is “in connection with a trade or business”. So, it would appear that for example horseboxes kept for hobby use, or someone who just wanted to use a wagon as his van, should be exempt from having to have an operators’ licence?

that’s right, private use covers your sister ( or her friends) to carry her own horses ( but nobody else’s ! ) unless she’s/ they’re running a business

however, since April private horseboxes over 7.5 tonne have lost their exemption to the tacho rules

Ahaaa… So… if my sister’s friend offers a lift in her horse box to my sister’s horse, does she then need to have an operator’s licence? It’s still totally private use isn’t it? No money changes hands anyway.

This has got me wondering if there isn’t some similar requirement here in Finland, as most of the EU seems to have the same rules and regulations these days. I haven’t heard of any operators’ licence requirement here but that doesn’t mean to say that there isn’t one. If there is, I hope my British CPC is valid here :slight_smile:

I plan to use my own wagon for transporting my mini tracked excavator from place to place - but I might in the future also have to help the place where my partner works transport and install large signs that she (and others) have made. I would be working as an independent contractor anyway then but should really find out what the rules are beforehand :wink:

Zetorpilot:
Ahaaa… So… if my sister’s friend offers a lift in her horse box to my sister’s horse, does she then need to have an operator’s licence? It’s still totally private use isn’t it? No money changes hands anyway.

no it’s not totally private! she should have an O licence :wink: she would probably need different insurance for the lorry as well, she might want to think about goods in transit insurance and a Transporter Authorisation (although the rules regarding economic activity differ from O Licence definitions)

Of course, she could just do what thousands of others do and ignore the whole lot :open_mouth: :wink:

This has got me wondering if there isn’t some similar requirement here in Finland, as most of the EU seems to have the same rules and regulations these days. I haven’t heard of any operators’ licence requirement here but that doesn’t mean to say that there isn’t one. If there is, I hope my British CPC is valid here :slight_smile:

I plan to use my own wagon for transporting my mini tracked excavator from place to place - but I might in the future also have to help the place where my partner works transport and install large signs that she (and others) have made. I would be working as an independent contractor anyway then but should really find out what the rules are beforehand :wink:

no idea about Finland, but over here you’d need a restricted O licence to move your digger and a full O licence to move the signs :laughing: