Operation Stack

Does anyone have any update on the news, are they going to implemet it to free up the ports for Easter traffic?

Keen to know as I have a B/Stortford - Brighton Friday night.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

CM:

I’m sure I heard that quote on ITV2 ‘The Contender’ last night (George Foreman). Great program by the way!!

marcustandy:

CM:

I’m sure I heard that quote on ITV2 ‘The Contender’ last night (George Foreman). Great program by the way!!

Really, I’ve been using it for years, one of my pet sayings :unamused:

as at 2348hrs op-stack was on with the second phase also in operation
so it looks like the lorrys again have to take the back seat due to the
unfortunate circumstances in the docks at calais,

Sea france are on strike which is making the problem worse this week. without the berthing problems (ooeer Mr’s)

Got off the ferry in Dover this morning and it was very quiet with plenty of space. On the way up the M20 saw Operation Stack which seemed a bit strange given the fact it was so quiet in Dover. Also there were no police at the bottom of Jubilee Way when I left and trucks where able to come down the hill and straight into the docks without being diverted up to join the queues. As I went past Operation Stack they were just lifting Phase 2 and in fact a few minutes later they reported this fact on the radio.

Over in Calais there were no problems or queue and I was on the ferry 25 minutes after arriving at the port and that included being put in the shed and having the trailer checked by UK Immigration and passing through the Heart Beat Monitor.

Coffeeholic:
Got off the ferry in Dover this morning and it was very quiet with plenty of space. On the way up the M20 saw Operation Stack which seemed a bit strange given the fact it was so quiet in Dover. Also there were no police at the bottom of Jubilee Way when I left and trucks where able to come down the hill and straight into the docks without being diverted up to join the queues. As I went past Operation Stack they were just lifting Phase 2 and in fact a few minutes later they reported this fact on the radio.

Over in Calais there were no problems or queue and I was on the ferry 25 minutes after arriving at the port and that included being put in the shed and having the trailer checked by UK Immigration and passing through the Heart Beat Monitor.

Thank you Coffeeholic, that sounds encouraging, lets see what tomorrow brings. :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

SeaFrance News
5.10 pm 24th March

There is currently less than one hour delay at both the ports of Dover and Calais. Three berths are operational in Calais, and our services are running to time. There is still a small queue of traffic entering the port of Dover, and Operation Stack is in operation, as heavy volumes of traffic are predicted for the start of the Easter holiday period. We will keep you informed on any further developments.

Bishops Stortford to Brighton takes you no where near dover…or the M20…go Dartford…M25…M23…problem solved…look at the ol map my boy…so operation stack shouldnt affect you…

truckyboy:
Bishops Stortford to Brighton takes you no where near dover…or the M20…go Dartford…M25…M23…problem solved…look at the ol map my boy…so operation stack shouldnt affect you…

Indeed dear boy, I am well aware of the route, but if the 20 is a truck park it backs up frequently on to the 25 on normal times never mind bank holidays and can be very slow moving or stopped. Doing North Notts-BS-Brighton-BS-North Notts in a 10 means you dont want to be in standing traffic for long, just being careful and planning ahead. :slight_smile:

Little devil the software has changed B S for B/Stortford into [zb}. :unamused: :laughing:

Further updates
Changes to the way Operation Stack is carried out on the M20 in Kent will come into force over Easter. The new system will be put into practice if Operation Stack is required over the holiday weekend.

It would see a two-way contraflow between junctions eight and nine on the London-bound carriageway of the M20.

Coastbound traffic that is not part of the Stack operation will use the London-bound lane. Previously, lorries were kept on the M20 and other traffic was diverted onto the A20. The London-bound carriageway remained unaffected with traffic in that direction continuing to run. Kent Police, the county council and local residents and businesses have felt the complete blocking of the coastbound carriageway and the diversions onto the A20 have had too big an impact on the local area. The new system will affect traffic heading in both directions, but will also leave part of the M20 clear for traffic heading both ways.

Kent Police’s Assistant Chief Constable, Dave Ainsworth, said: “People will be travelling to see friends and family over the Easter holiday and we hope this new plan will minimise disruption to motorists.” He urged drivers to allow extra time for their journeys or to consider using the A2 or M2 as an alternative route to Dover.

And on another note it looks like tempers will need to be kept in check because following an incident in Dover last night when 5 drivers were arrested Kent Police have let it be known that they are now operating a no tolerance policy. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

And the official version of the above.

JOINT PLAN TO EASE TRAFFIC CONGESTION IN DOVER CAUSED BY CALAIS PORT PROBLEMS

Kent Police, Kent County Council and the Highways Agency will be implementing short-term measures over Easter to ease holiday traffic congestion in Dover caused by ferry handling problems in Calais and the strike of French seamen on cross-channel ferries.

The plan will be used over the busy holiday period, when traffic levels are forecast to be high and ferry services are limited due to restricted docking space in Calais.

The new plan involves the introduction of a contraflow for 11 miles (17 km) on the M20 London-bound carriageway between Junctions 8 and 9, so that when traffic builds up new arrangements can be implemented immediately. In anticipation of the large number of people travelling to France and beyond this Easter, traffic management will be put in place on Tuesday night, (22 March 2005), reducing London-bound lanes from three to two.

The contraflow will remove traffic from the coast-bound carriageway, freeing up lanes which can then be used to hold lorries heading for the Channel Tunnel and Dover. The hard shoulder and lane 1 of the London-bound carriageway will be open to London-bound traffic and lane 3 for traffic heading for the coast. Lane 2 will be closed to provide a safety lane between London-bound and coast-bound traffic. The three organisations are working closely to find a solution that will alleviate the pressure on the M20 and local roads in Dover, caused by the current problems in France.

During operation stack HGVs should follow all the normal procedures and assemble at M20 Junction 8.

Drivers requiring further information should call 08457 50 40 30 or consult the Highways Agency website www.highways.gov.uk

CM:

truckyboy:

Indeed dear boy, I am well aware of the route, but if the 20 is a truck park it backs up frequently on to the 25 on normal times never mind bank holidays and can be very slow moving or stopped. Doing North Notts-[zb]-Brighton-[zb]-North Notts in a 10 means you dont want to be in standing traffic for long, just being careful and planning ahead. :slight_smile:

Little devil the software has changed B S for B/Stortford into [zb}. :unamused: :laughing:

Why not go down the M1 then down the west side of M25 to M23 as an alternative that way you wont go anywhere near M20 :laughing: