Operation Stack

I think the snow plough fitted to the front of the p&o highlander fell off,and there having to refit it for h&s reasons due to winter conditions. … but I could be wrong… :confused:

Freight Dog:
I wonder if anyone has been absent minded, taken the m20, got stuck in this operation haystack and only had a local day delivery in Dover?

Probably not. The police are at the entry slip, they stop you and ask train or boat but even if you did drive into it you can always get out as middle two lanes are clear

it must play havoc with your tachos?

NewLad:
From what I’ve heard the M20 is shut`

Gantry signs were saying “3 hr delay M20 J6-8” earlier.

martinviking:
Quick question-do they close the M20 completely or do they allow local traffic, ie outside lane ?

We drop in Park Farm Industrial Estate once or twice a week & I hav’nt come across Stack yet (luckily)

Thay make 2 lines out of it inside and outside lane leaving the center clear. one usually for ferries one for train.

Currently truck waiting between Junction 9 & Junction 7 on M20 still… So looking like a long day / night again.
And…Tunnel closing overnight on Saturday and Sunday for repairs.
At least its not snowing :slight_smile:

I know two people who were on the train on which the trucks caught fire, and apparently the damage is far worse than it is being presented, at least three trucks were completely burnt out, down to the framework. If this is so then I imagine it will be months before the tunnel re-opens.

As often said… the truth will always out… and Eurotunnel are renowned for playing things down as clearly they
want to limit the damage to their business…Today…and the future.

I was chatting to one of the tunnel engineers a few nights ago, said it will be at least a few weeks to repair due to the power failures and damage caused from the fire.

It’s a nightmare at the moment living around Ashford, always gets like this when implement this. Surely after all these years they will figure out a suitable alternative.

Andi since you live in the region you just have an idea of what you’d like down/built etc

Ive just come over and they are running a normal service as of this afternoon so the staff told me. Trucks started to move through Calais much faster at one point. Nothing in Operation Stack for train, all for ferry.

Back to normal just in time for them to close it again on Saturday night for the annual safety check.

Is this just Dover? Boats are coming and going just fine from Immingham.

merc0447:
Andi since you live in the region you just have an idea of what you’d like down/built etc

Perhaps they could finally build the massive truckstop in Ashford that they keep talking about, would serve as a big holding area in times like this.

Even using the show ground as a holding area could maybe work to keep the M20 open.

As immingham only runs one boat a night they would all have to be pre booked so no point in turning up without a booking hence no qs

Radar19:
Is this just Dover? Boats are coming and going just fine from Immingham.

as immingham only runs one boat every night you would have to be booked on so no point in arriving without a booking hence no qs

ooops double post

Anyone fancy a game of football in Operation Stack em up, cones for goal posts, it could be EE drivers versus UK drivers
The losers play Turkish driver’s Ukrainians.
Or play teams between Nobbly Dingledangle
V Link trans PL.
Second division EKOL and Mars Turk United.
Division three, Matthews V Turners.

andi_cardiff:

merc0447:

Perhaps they could finally build the massive truckstop in Ashford that they keep talking about, would serve as a big holding area in times like this.

Even using the show ground as a holding area could maybe work to keep the M20 open.

I think the show ground is a non starter it wud cost way to much to make that suitable for trucks the best bet would be on the A20 at westwell where they had the sidings for HS1

this operation stack is down to electrical problems with the channel tunnel [apparently]why dont the powers that be think about a bridge for future years,i admit it sounds impossible but get the best engineers together put money into it and I reckon it could be achieved,it would probably be the longest bridge in the world [I think],the new severn bridge is a masterpiece,if they could do that then put a few more miles on and try over the channel from dover to Calais,it might work,it would solve a lot of problems,if they could achieve it then make it a toll bridge,i am sure i read somewhere they were thinking about it before they decided on the tunnel many years ago,and if they did achieve it no more operation stack because of the tunnel,as I said just a thought

andi_cardiff:
I was chatting to one of the tunnel engineers a few nights ago, said it will be at least a few weeks to repair due to the power failures and damage caused from the fire.

It’s a nightmare at the moment living around Ashford, always gets like this when implement this. Surely after all these years they will figure out a suitable alternative.

Haven’t there been discussions for a site for operation stack and general truck park for years, but nobody want to pay for it, and nobody wants it near them?