Operating in Northern Ireland

I have jut been reading the Vosa website and I cam across this

The following lists the main exemptions from operator licensing and is a summary only. Further details of most of them can be found in Schedule 3 to the Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995.

Vehicles first used before 1977 which have an unladen weight not exceeding 1525kg and for which the maximum gross plated weight is between 3500 kgs and 3556.21 kgs (3.5 tons);

Motor vehicles & their trailers using public roads for less than 9.654 kms (6 miles) a week, whilst moving between private premises;

Vehicles being used under a trade licence;

Vehicles constructed, or adapted, primarily for carrying passengers & their effects while being used for that purpose, and any trailer drawn;

Vehicles used by, or under the control of, Her Majesty’s United Kingdom forces and visiting forces vehicles;

Vehicles being used by local authorities for Civil Defence purposes, or to carry out their functions in respect of certain enactments;

Vehicles being used for police, fire or ambulance purposes;

Fire-fighting & rescue vehicles used in mines;

RNLI & Coastguard vehicles when used for transporting lifeboats, appliances or crew;

Vehicles being held ready for use in emergencies by water, electricity, gas & telephone undertakings;

Tractors, including agricultural tractors, used in certain circumstances;

Vehicles being used to carry goods within aerodromes;

Vehicles being used for funerals;

Uncompleted vehicles on test or trial;

Vehicles being used for or in connection with (or on their way to) snow clearing or distribution of salt, grit etc;

Vehicles on their way to a Department of Transport examination being presented laden at the request of an examiner;

Electric and steam propelled vehicles;

Recovery vehicles. Paragraph 3 of the Good Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995 states that a recovery vehicle has the same meaning as in Part V of Schedule 1 to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (ie a vehicle which is constructed or permanently adapted for any one or more of the purposes of lifting, towing and transporting a disabled vehicle)

Vehicles with fitted equipment eg machines, appliances, where the only other goods (or burden) carried are required for use in connection with the fitted equipment;

Tower wagons & trailers which are carrying goods related to the work of the tower wagons;

Dual purpose vehicles (eg Land Rovers) & their trailers;

Trailers whose primary purpose is not to carry goods but do so incidentally in connection with construction, maintenance or repair of roads;

Road rollers & trailers;

Showmen’s goods vehicles & trailers;

Crown vehicles;

Vehicles being used for international haulage by operators established in other EU Member States;

Vehicles being used for international haulage by operators established in Northern Ireland; and,
Vehicles being used under the provisions of the Goods Vehicles (Operators Licences) (Temporary Use in Great Britain) Regulations 1980. These Regulations include provision for the use in Great Britain of Northern Ireland Vehicles, which have an operating centre in Northern Ireland, provided that certain conditions are met. Own account and hire and reward operations are covered.

If you have any queries regarding your own vehicle, please contact your local Traffic Area Offices.

Does this mean all International operators form Northern Ireland dont need an O licence ? Have I read this wrong ? Surely Not. The South , you have to have a Hauliers Licence.

I was also under the belief that you didnt need an O licence if you moved goods for own account and not hire/reward, or am I wrong on this too. Vosa says different and states that the movement of goods over certain weight , you need an O licence. Have the goalposts moved ?

routier:
I was also under the belief that you didnt need an O licence if you moved goods for own account and not hire/reward, or am I wrong on this too. Vosa says different and states that the movement of goods over certain weight , you need an O licence. Have the goalposts moved ?

To operate a goods vehicles in excess of 3.5 tonnes gross for business use, an O Licence is required.

Orange Disc-Restricted O Licence, tranportation of own goods, tools, equipment and materials for own business use UK and International.

Blue Disc-Standard National O Licence, hire and reward domestic UK only

Green Disc-Standard International O Licence, hire and reward international

Its been like that since the O Licensing scheme was lauched.

Ha, my misunderstanding on the own account bit! What about the exemption for NI International Hauliers ?

Not to sure about N.I. rules and regs exceptions, but until recently they did’nt need mot’s on CV’s :open_mouth:

So basically you want to set up as an O/D but want to avoid the ‘O’ licence? I can’t imagine it’s that easy although I don’t know the exact rules with regard to Northern Ireland although I have read that there is no restricted O licence (which probably wouldn’t help you anyway)

mrpj:
So basically you want to set up as an O/D but want to avoid the ‘O’ licence? I can’t imagine it’s that easy although I don’t know the exact rules with regard to Northern Ireland although I have read that there is no restricted O licence (which probably wouldn’t help you anyway)

Who said I wanted to set up as an O/D ? :open_mouth: :confused: Im just curious as to Y NI operators are exempt on international traffic when its supposed to come under Briitish Regulations.Y is is different for them, thats all Im trying to find out!

routier:

mrpj:

Who said I wanted to set up as an O/D ? :open_mouth: :confused: Im just curious as to Y NI operators are exempt on international traffic when its supposed to come under Briitish Regulations.Y is is different for them, thats all Im trying to find out!

I don’t know the ins and outs of it, but every truck I’ve driven has had an operaters licence displayed. Also, taken from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing NI website.

Road Freight Operator Licensing

Any person who is paid for carrying other people’s goods and uses a vehicle with a Gross Plated Weight of more than 3.5 tonnes needs a Road Freight Operators Licence.To get an Operators Licence you need to provide the following:

You need to be professionally competent or employ someone as your Transport Manager who is professionally competent.

You must show that you have enough resources to set up and properly run your business. (you need to provide bank statements showing available money).

You and your Transport Manager must be of good repute. This means that you and your Transport Manager (if applicable) must declare any convictions.

You need to provide details of where you can park your vehicle(s) overnight. This must be approved by us.

I’m a bit confused as to why VOSA have that information on their website, as they have nothing to do with licensing over here. Its run by the Department of the Environment (DOE) and VOSA have no power as such. Of course, they will prosecute for offences detected on the Mainland such as hours, limiters, weight and maintenance etc. but they can’t revoke a Northern Ireland Operators Licence. All they can do is advise the DOE of serious offences. That will usually result in a months worth of tachos being requested by the DOE.

Who said I wanted to set up as an O/D ? :open_mouth: :confused:

Sorry routier I misinterpreted your post :slight_smile: . With regard to regulations despite N. Ireland being part of the UK they do have different rules concerning vehicles and licencing but I believe the authorites are trying to standardize them.

routier:
I have jut been reading the Vosa website and I came across this

Vehicles being used under the provisions of the Goods Vehicles (Operators Licences) (Temporary Use in Great Britain) Regulations 1980. These Regulations include provision for the use in Great Britain of Northern Ireland Vehicles, which have an operating centre in Northern Ireland, provided that certain conditions are met. Own account and hire and reward operations are covered.

Are you sure they are not trying to say -" Vehicles from NI don’t need a British O licence if they have a NI one"

routier:
The following lists the main exemptions from operator licensing
Vehicles being used for international haulage by operators established in Northern Ireland;
[/quote]
Im a little lost over this statement on the Vosa website! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

routier:
Vehicles being used for international haulage by operators established in Northern Ireland; and,

From my understanding, that page is stating exceptions for a GB operators license. We don’t need a GB O’ License because VOSA don’t govern Northern Ireland. VOSA also state that operators established in EU states don’t need a GB O’ License. They will still need the relevant operators license from their home country if they have such a thing.

Hence, a N.I. truck doing GB work is exempt, and a N.I. truck doing international work is exempt from a GB operators license. I think it does not mention N.I. trucks doing local work because VOSA will never see these trucks. Its very confusing, but I think thats it. :confused:

jd_123:
From my understanding, that page is stating exceptions for a GB operators license. We don’t need a GB O’ License because VOSA don’t govern Northern Ireland. VOSA also state that operators established in EU states don’t need a GB O’ License. They will still need the relevant operators license from their home country if they have such a thing.

Hence, a N.I. truck doing GB work is exempt, and a N.I. truck doing international work is exempt from a GB operators license. I think it does not mention N.I. trucks doing local work because VOSA will never see these trucks. Its very confusing, but I think thats it. :confused:

Is Northern Ireland no longer part of GB?

If VOSA has authority over vehicles in Wales Scotland & England why not NI?

seems strange to me.

north surrey haulage:
Is Northern Ireland no longer part of GB?

seems strange to me.

AFAIA N.Ireland has had quite a few differences to UK mainland, not just restricted to roads/vehicles/transport & regs etc.

Differences include;

*Different driving licence and dvr lic authority.

*MOT’s for a private car are carried out at a ‘government’ testing centre (like a CV is in UK mainland) - no back-street garage MOT’s in NI!! I (used to) know of NI residents who had at least one mainland trip per year…to get an MOT cert which is accepted in NI. MOT garage in Stranraer = good business!

*Cheaper car tax!!

*No Council Tax.

*Only ONE fixed speed camera and not many camera vans neither!!

*Different school holidays and different Bank Holidays.

There’s more that I don’t recall just now…

Its all confusing, NI is stated as being part of GB so Y are the rule different ref O licence ? Does that mean they are different for Scotland and Wales too ?

routier:
Its all confusing, NI is stated as being part of GB so Y are the rule different ref O licence ? Does that mean they are different for Scotland and Wales too ?

Northern Ireland was never part of Great Britain, only part of the UK. The full name is “The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland”. As for why it has all the different rules/regulations is probably just history dating back many years.