Operating Centre

Hi,

I have been parking my truck on my driveway and someone has reported me, Got a letter asking me to confirm in witing that this will stop and I will start to use the registered operating centre in future…

The question is, Can I add my house as an operating center so I can park there? Its off the public highway…

You can certainly apply to, though you will need to advertise it in the newspaper and apply for a major change, but my prediction is that the objections would come flooding in.

Harry Monk:
You can certainly apply to, though you will need to advertise it in the newspaper and apply for a major change, but my prediction is that the objections would come flooding in.

And If I get lucky and no one sees it? Would they grant it? Only one person has complained and thats took nearly a year…

They would come down and have a look and assess it’s suitability, it would also have to be published in A’s and D’s and the local council would possibly object to it. There’s nothing to say that you couldn’t use it as an operating centre, provided the powers that be consider it suitable.

You had better get your vehicle parked at the named operating centre on your license.A haulier this way had his license revoked for parking in a quarry and not at his proper base.Apply for a different operating center and only park there if you get it granted.

Worcestershire Filth wrote my ex-Governor a threatening letter because the vehicle had been spotted parked away from its operating base in Sittingbourne. It was seen parked overnight outside Jewsons in Worcester, where it had a delivery the following morning. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Shaunm41:

Harry Monk:

And If I get lucky and no one sees it? Would they grant it? Only one person has complained and thats took nearly a year…

As has already been said a representative of VOSA will come out and check they feel it is suitable to be an operating centre. They will check things like if you have adequate space, and if they feel the access roads are suitable etc.

You’ll do well to stop people seeing it. Someone who knows someone on your street is bound to notice it. When I put in for mine our neighbours had several people ringing them up thinking I was trying to park trucks at my house simply because my home address is the business address and therefore was listed in the advert. We had told them about it beforehand though and assured them that we wouldn’t be bringing the truck here other than for occasional maintenance so they weren’t bothered about it.

Paul

Thanks for the replies…

So should I just forget the idea? Its just a driveway, no gate or fence (although that could be arranged) and the front of the truck is only a few inchs from the edge of the pavement…

The area of the driveway is just the right size for the truck… If it was any bigger it wouldnt fit… I could squeeze it back slightly leaving around 2 foot between front bumper and pavement but thats about it… Width wise theres about a foot either side give or take…

Thanks

Shaun

No one in your street can object anyway, they are not statutory objectors, it would be your council who could object to it, probably because it’s a residential area.

Sorry… They can object but vosa won’t really care unless they are a statutory objector.

Shaunm41:
Thanks for the replies…

So should I just forget the idea? Its just a driveway, no gate or fence (although that could be arranged) and the front of the truck is only a few inchs from the edge of the pavement…

The area of the driveway is just the right size for the truck… If it was any bigger it wouldnt fit… I could squeeze it back slightly leaving around 2 foot between front bumper and pavement but thats about it… Width wise theres about a foot either side give or take…

If the vehicle had to cross the pavement to get in or out then I would say it would be highly unlikely that it would be approved, also if it’s in a residential area then it’s also unlikely.

It would cost you £130+ for the newspaper advert, £250 to apply to keep it there, which you wouldn’t get back if permission was refused, and another £400 for the issue of the O licence if it was approved.

Harry Monk:

Shaunm41:
Thanks for the replies…

If the vehicle had to cross the pavement to get in or out then I would say it would be highly unlikely that it would be approved, also if it’s in a residential area then it’s also unlikely.

It would cost you £130+ for the newspaper advert, £250 to apply to keep it there, which you wouldn’t get back if permission was refused, and another £400 for the issue of the O licence if it was approved.

Ive already got the o license… Just looking for a change of operating centre thats all

You will in fact be apply for a new one essentially, same company but adding a new operating centre, it would like Harry said be classified as a major change and will require all the same costs as far as I am aware.

you would also need to apply for planning permission to use your driveway as an operating centre

ibson:
Sorry… They can object but vosa won’t really care unless they are a statutory objector.

Yeah but you get a copy of the objection and you can pay them a visit at midnight to discuss it :laughing:

But Sorry. You have got two hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope if you are so close to the road, other houses and even if you got it passed they would probably restrict access to between 9 until 5.

But seriously there is one part of the O licence process that states the vehicles must be able to exit & enter in a forward gear.

Wheel Nut:
But Sorry. You have got two hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope if you are so close to the road, other houses and even if you got it passed they would probably restrict access to between 9 until 5.

But seriously there is one part of the O licence process that states the vehicles must be able to exit & enter in a forward gear.

I was just thinking that as I read the description of the driveway. As a general rule you won’t get an O-Licence on anywhere that forces you to either enter or exit in reverse, i.e. you need space on the property to turn the vehicle round.

I’m inclined to agree with the first paragraph quoted above. I don’t think realistically there is much, if any, chance of you getting it approved, so you would probably be wasting your time and money.

Paul

ibson:

These are still “representations” and can delay the issuing of an Operators Licence by months.

i had the same problem a few years ago , some nosey neighbour sticking his beak in, my boss contacted the ministry of transport (in those days) and explained that i was away from home for 2-3 weeks at a time and that this was the only time i could clean and hoover the inside of the truck and restock it with all my bedding and stuff.
they was fine about it and said for as long as it wasn’t every week end then they would allow it . should have seen the neighbours face when i got a new truck on foreign plates, i took it home every week end just to pi** him off.

Harry Monk:

ibson:

These are still “representations” and can delay the issuing of an Operators Licence by months.

Thank you for expanding on that Harry.

I don’t think my neighbours would be to pleased if I parked a truck on my drive, I would love to live somewhere I could though! That would cut costs a bit!

Long gone are the days of neighbourly friendship and acceptance eh?

I use to park my unit up at home when i was working for Bergan International in Manchester, granted it was not very often as most of the time i was away. But non the less no one complained to the boss about it. I did however go round asking the closest neighbours if they minded and they where all perfectly fine about it.

I made sure that i didn’t sit there revving the nuts off it building air up at odd times, and the closest neighbour whose house i would be inches away from when parking was told when i was round the corner and when i was expected to be shipping out again. Only problem i had was kids throwing gravel on my fifth wheel once.

I suppose if you start parking up at home people might get miffed, some new build estates don’t allow white or marked vans parked on driveways and alike. Did yo uask anyone if they minded a truck parked up in the road outside their house?