Operating centre granted by dft but council are now saying p

Operating Centre granted by DVSA 2 years ago now council are stating I need planning permission.

Does anyone know who I should contact regarding the following;

I applied for an operating centre at my home address 3 years ago. (Large 1acre plot with hardstanding) Advertised in local paper/ filled out gv81 paid fee etc etc. Waited and it came back as granted.

Now the council are stating that they want a planning application for the parking of the 2 lorries there?

Where do I stand? Surely the application had given the local authorities/ statutory objectors / land owners an opportunity back then to make any representations?

No one made any and it was granted.

Thanks in Advance

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

the permission to run trucks or any other business from any site lies with the council, your granted licence only applies if you have the necessary council planning permission, has the site been used for any business before as that usually helps,

Thanks for your reply, no it was never used as a business premises I don’t think. It is an old farm house. So I have no hoping in getting it “passed” then?

Unfortunately Planning will win.

The DVSA would have presumed that you already had the necessary permission in place before you applied for an operators licence. I am surprised its taken two years to rear its head, unless you have a new neighbour who has asked the wrong questions.

Planning have the power to make people demolish houses or extensions. I remember a new fancy Subway being built on an old Little Chef site, they made them knock it all down again.

As above, regardless of the o licence being approved, it does not include change of use for the land. They are two quite independent entities. Planning will still need to be sorted. Whilst you may have an acre of land, you may decide it doesn’t need or won’t all be approved for the business.
Did you know that you didn’t have planning when applying for the o licence?

Hi, no I thought the application for operators licence was the whole lot in one. I thought applying in newspapers to give planning authorities opportubity to object was enough. On the for. Gv81 it didn’t mention needing planning permission.

I can kinda see where you were going with it, but the TC and planning dept cannot authorise over each other’s roles. Typically it’s the highways side of the council who make observations rather than planning.
I’ve heard of the reverse where planning have said a site could be used for tpt and the O licence either saying no or putting restrictions in place.
Alas, that’s the world of business, as far as planning goes, it is binary -either you have their consent or you don’t, it looks like you’re going to have to bit the bullet and apply for change of use etc.

Without jeopardising your application. It would be interesting to see how this application progresses, but the first thing I would do is get your neighbours on side. Good Luck.

I mentioned the change of use and rules.

Little Chef.png
The Little Chef was a Restaurant where people drove to eat.

The Subway and Starbucks was a Restaurant where you took the food away.

So the planning department made them demolish it. :open_mouth: