Opening the front grille on a 65 plate Actros

Is it the same as later models with the catch at each end under the grille or something Different?

From my experience, either catch at each end, or on some models catch below star in middle of grill. I needed to shine torch behind side of grill last time to find.

Thanks mate

I think it’s push buttons on both sides of the emblem on the older models (oldest one we have is 66 plate). Push both in at the same time. Hard to spot as they blend with the grill kind of

I still can’t believe it’s 2021 and drivers still struggle to find catches for the grille release , where the oil and water fillers are without looking for a non- existent drivers handbook . What could be easier than some stickers next to the release and where the fillers are .
Manufacturers need to remember drivers don’t always use the same vehicle , try looking for a catch at ‘Silly O Clock’ in a dark yard ,in the rain , in an unfamiliar vehicle . I spent ages the other week looking for the grille release on a Scania ( DAF and Mercedes fleet ) Its on the door pillar by the way .
Come on manufactures sort it out .

I drive a man
And I open bonnet/grille have a look round…but pointless in a way as no dipstick can’t check the oil.
Have to go through various menus to find check oil level
Then shows a bar . How accurate it is.god knows.
Can’t see why they’ve taken out the dipstick it’s worked fine for maybe 40. Years or more on cars and trucks.why change it.

The release handles are either side of the star in the grill, you will see a pocket either side which acts as grab handles & the releases are on the right & left of the inner pockets edges.

Thanks lads.

Mick Palmer: You’re spot on mate, why don’t the manufactures make some sort of labelling or markings? My usual truck is a 19 plate DAF and my scenario was in total darkness. I looked at the end of grille as on the later models but forgot where they were on the earlier ones. Luckily I didn’t have to use the heap until the following day so I knew where the catches were thanks to this forum.

I normally watch truck videos before i go out in a new truck.Asking other drivers is useless they think you are an idiot.It saves me the hassle

mick palmer:
I still can’t believe it’s 2021 and drivers still struggle to find catches for the grille release , where the oil and water fillers are without looking for a non- existent drivers handbook . What could be easier than some stickers next to the release and where the fillers are .
Manufacturers need to remember drivers don’t always use the same vehicle , try looking for a catch at ‘Silly O Clock’ in a dark yard ,in the rain , in an unfamiliar vehicle . I spent ages the other week looking for the grille release on a Scania ( DAF and Mercedes fleet ) Its on the door pillar by the way .
Come on manufactures sort it out .

Our fleet is entirely Mercedes, all up to 5 years old. A while ago, a regular driver who had been with the company for several years asked me how to open the front grill to top up the oil/water/screenwash. Says it all really!

mikeshe:
Is it the same as later models with the catch at each end under the grille or something Different?

They’re two black, squarish, thumb buttons either side if the emblem. Push together to open.