Open curtain sides in high winds

I have never really seen this myself (or remember seeing it) in real life, however on theory they are teaching me to have curtain sides open when empty, in high winds. I have had a search through and googled it and there seems to be some clashing opinions out there, what do the majority of drivers tend to actually do?

Obviously for purposes of CPC / Theory I will stick to what they teach me but for when I start my job…

Thanks

Luke

I remember many years ago opening my curtains a fair bit and the doors but now a lot of these modern trailers have flimsy roofs so not sure it’ll be such a good idea now, i now pull fridges but someone with more recent experience will be along soon i’m sure.

We have both cutains closed in strong winds,
Never have just one curtain open , its a recipe for disaster , as it will act like a sail on a boat.

I saw it on a video, or read it in a book (possibly my Theory book) says you should, but from what I’ve heard, it just takes all the rigidity out of the box, so if the roof doesn’t peel off, it could end up looking like you’ve hit a bridge.

your still waiting for your provisional arnt you

nick2008:

Me?

If im running back empty in high winds, will always take the time to get the curtains as tight as I can and same with the straps, never liked the idea of running with curtains open new trailers dont look strong enough for it.

NOVE:

nick2008:

Me?

no :unamused:

LDP on the 21st he /she was still waiting for their provisional

nick2008:

NOVE:

nick2008:

Me?

I am yeah. Hoping it’ll be here today / tomorrow!

Luke

LDP:

nick2008:

NOVE:

nick2008:

Me?

Luke

When did you send off for it ? Dvla have had mine 3 weeks and still havent got it back since passing my cat c.

halfers:

LDP:

nick2008:

NOVE:

nick2008:

Me?

Luke

When did you send off for it ? Dvla have had mine 3 weeks and still havent got it back since passing my cat c.

Sent it off two weeks ago yesterday. So it could be longer then :confused:

Daytrunker:
If im running back empty in high winds, will always take the time to get the curtains as tight as I can and same with the straps, never liked the idea of running with curtains open new trailers dont look strong enough for it.

Same here!
Assuming you have some ratchet straps to start with it looks a pain in the arse to get it all neat and secure at the rear of the trailer.
Much easier as you say to do up the curtains really tight.

Im sure Ive read somewhere

In high winds a driver should open and tie back both curtains if running empty, In principle it seems the correct thing to do, but then in the real world as day trucker has said… Trailers don’t look strong enough…

Tying the curtains back also relies on having enough ratchet straps to put at least 2 over the roof, if its windy enough to tie the doors throwing straps over the roof is going to be game for a laugh.
Our curtainsiders have got thin plastic rooves wouldn’t thought it would take much to pop one off.

Some of our trailer roofs come off when the curtains are closed! :open_mouth:

Still a bit of confusion then seems like some companies have different procedures than others and its down to individual choice! However having just seen that picture :confused:

really wouldn’t worry about it …wait till you pass your test before even thinking about it as there are more important issues you need to get your head around 1st

halfers:

LDP:

nick2008:

NOVE:

nick2008:

Me?

Luke

Just called the DVLA re mine. I have been told they have sent a letter to my doctor to ask more about an ECG test (which I declared during my medical examination) which I had last year. The results of this came back as 100% fine and my risk of heart attack, diabetes or stroke was actually a zero on their measuring system.

However this doesn’t stop me from worrying a bit… I have spoken to my doctors and I am having a call from my usual doctor tomorrow night just to talk this through. Should all be fine though with the results I got.

Daytrunker:
Our curtainsiders have got thin plastic rooves wouldn’t thought it would take much to pop one off.

So have ours and they are see through to let light into the trailer and they remind me of cling film so I’ll never tie them back.

I will stick to what they teach me but for when I start my job…

For the CPC you do what your taught… when you get a job in haulage on curtain sided trailers, you find out what the companies stance on curtains in high winds… open and tied back or closed…

Don’t just assume that what they teach on the CPC is 100% correct… the firm you work for might have a difference of opinion