Oops! That looks expensive. Pass the 'T' Cut

Pulled into a yard this evening and saw a somewhat ‘customised’ unit hitched up to a trailer. :confused:

To say it was ‘customised’ is something of an understatement because the passenger door was almost hanging off. Part of the A post had been pushed back about 150 mm (6" in old money :astonished: ), the windscreen resembled a piece of abstract artwork, the front panel was pushed well back into the radiator, and the fact that even the drivers’ door did not open/close smoothly, suggests a new cab might be needed.

Too fast and too close in the wet weather conditions might seem the most logical cause but, No. Far simpler than that. :frowning:

Coupling up to a fridge, connected the lines, reversed fully under, raised the legs, released the trailer brake, AND, :bulb:

Things started moving. (And not just in the intestinal region.) Although it was only a slight gradient, about 1 in 50, and a good 25 metres, from where other trailers were parked on bays, it kept going. :open_mouth:

Even though, when the driver realised the mistake, the trailer brakes were re-applied, they did not come back on fast enough and the inevitable happened. :blush: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The moral of the tale is DON’T be embarrassed to go back and check that you have applied the parking brake on the unit, even though it is dark, it is precipitating down, and you don’t fancy sitting in damp clothing for the next hour or so. :unamused:

Better safe than…having everyone else arriving and smirking gleefully at your demise. :stuck_out_tongue:

i can’t believe you ain’t took no pics m8 to rub it in just a bit more. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I thought about pics, but it was dark, and I don’t have a Digital Camera. It’s on my “To Do” list.

As for ‘rub it in’. I deliberately posted it in the Newbie forum as part of the ‘Learning Curve’, in the hope that our members never find themselves in a similar situation.

Krankee:
I thought about pics, but it was dark, and I don’t have a Digital Camera. It’s on my “To Do” list.

As for ‘rub it in’. I deliberately posted it in the Newbie forum as part of the ‘Learning Curve’, in the hope that our members never find themselves in a similar situation.

you could have put your headlights on man :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Krankee:

This one looks like a great buy at the moment…

play.com/play247.asp?page=title& … 150&pa=rnr

I’ve got an older version of it, that cost well over twice the price they are selling this for at the time I bought it. It’s taken some great pictures and never let me down in nearly three years.

The Olympus optics will give much better results (even with less megapixels) than a cheaper not as well respected brand and another big bonus is that it seems to take two ordinary AA batteries so if your rechargables were to die it’d be easy to get a couple of normal ones to see you through.

Nice and easy to use for the non-technical photographer as well.

I was getting out of my cab the one day last week when I heard this beeping noise. Checked the lights they were off looked around and the handbrake was off, put it, on beeping stopped. Strange thing is I’ve forgotten the handbrake before but never noticed the beeping. Something else that was pointed out to me the other day if when connecting the yellow airline there is no pressure the handbrake is probably off. I don’t know if this applies to all systems but it’s worth keeping in mind.

Certain models of DAF. Does not apply to all models/years.

May also apply to other makes, but have yet to identifiy others with pressurised Service lines.

But a good point to consider.

a mate of mine used to run two units on containers with paid drivers, one of which decided on this particular day he was hungry so pulled up outside some shops half on the pavement to get something to eat, jumped out not putting the handbrake on, sure enough when he came out the the unit and trailer were fifty yards down the road having completely wiped out a bus shelter and phone box! passersby said the wagon hadn’t gained any real speed but it just kept on going,lucky nobody was injured really. unfortunately when the police arrived the driver, instead of admitting his mistake, claimed he’d put the handbrake on and the brakes must have failed obviously not realising the conciquences of such a statement (the police officer at the seen siad he knew the driver hadn’t applied the handbrake). my mate and his brother who were partners in the firm spent months fighting tooth n nail to keep their o’license,the case eventually being dealt with in a magistrates court rather than by the ministry, eventually getting “away” with points on both their licenses and a hefty fine, needless to say once the case was resolved the driver was shown the door.

The topic of handbrakes has raised it’s head here numerous times before, The best solution is to have an alarm attached to handbrake that goes off if the door is opend without the handbrake being applied. This is fitted on Royalmail/parcelforce trucks after the death of a driver from Reading, But why it is not standard on all new trucks is beyond me, 2 or 3 pounds is all it would cost yet lives could be saved and thousands of pounds worth of damage could be saved each year. Penny pinching at it’s best if you ask me.

knight:
I was getting out of my cab the one day last week when I heard this beeping noise. Checked the lights they were off looked around and the handbrake was off, put it, on beeping stopped. Strange thing is I’ve forgotten the handbrake before but never noticed the beeping. Something else that was pointed out to me the other day if when connecting the yellow airline there is no pressure the handbrake is probably off. I don’t know if this applies to all systems but it’s worth keeping in mind.

I was driving a unit last week and think that was a Daf cf. And if you opened the door with the handbrake off you got in a loudish tone ““WARNING PARKING BRAKE NOT APPLIED” i thought that was a spot on idea”

I must admit I have a routine for coupling that includes always checking the hand brake before coupling the airlines.

Bones:
I was driving a unit last week and think that was a Daf cf. And if you opened the door with the handbrake off you got in a loudish tone ““WARNING PARKING BRAKE NOT APPLIED” i thought that was a spot on idea”

Yeah, good idea but a little warning sticker about the ‘audiable warning’ might have been nice!! I near [zb] myself first time it went off and I wasn’t expecting it!! :open_mouth:

[zb] = that’s got to be the ‘moderator friendly’ version??!!

oh no it isn’t :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Denis F

Are the handbrakes mentioned above being left off deliberatly or is it just human error? The reason I ask is because I’m new and don’t understand trailer coupling fully.

mrpj:
Are the handbrakes mentioned above being left off deliberatly or is it just human error? The reason I ask is because I’m new and don’t understand trailer coupling fully.

They are being left off by accident, It is very easy to do. I am now almost ■■■■ about it and find myself checking at least twice most times, But I would rather do that then find myself in a wooden box.

mrpj:

When talking about trailer coupling / uncoupling i’d say it is either a ■■■■-up or just plain dodgy!!

As for the audiable warning with the DAF, i’m sure that was activated if the door was opened without the handbrake being applied. To be honest, i’d say there are one or two occaisions where that is not so dangerous (you might not be even getting out of the cab) such as opening the door for a better look or to talk to some one (short-arse) on the ground. Either way, it certainly does the job of reminding you to put the handbrake on!!

Thanks for the replies, some scary stories about trailers around. Double checking things sounds like a good idea to me.

This is the sort of thing that is normally fitted.
mapletechnology.co.uk/index2 … dvisor.htm

Tescos motors (Scanias at least), have one that hisses or whistles really loud.
There are variations on a theme, but any fitted is a good thing.

If I ever have my own unit again, I’m going to put a warning light on the back wall of the cab that comes on when the park brake is on. That way I don’t have to climb down again b4 connecting the red line if I can’t remember if i applied it. :unamused:

Also, when I plug in the red line, BEFORE turning the collar, I look to the side to see if the rig is moving…so I can whip it out again in that case.

Note for newbies: when connecting the red line, the unit & trailer will often lurch quite alarmingly as the trailer brakes are released quite suddenly. If the trailer park brake button is applied (as it should be for H & S reasons, but in real life driving, rarely is) the movement will be apparent when releasing the trailer park brake.
Hopefully the rig is not going anywhere, its literally just a “change in stance” a bit like you transferring your weight from one leg to another.

Regards, Jonathan.
Ex. Trade Plater. Ex. O/D. Ex. LGV C+E Instructor. DSA ADI.

marcustandy:

mrpj:

When talking about trailer coupling / uncoupling I’d say it is either a ■■■■-up or just plain dodgy!!

I think its more a kind of mental block thing.
ie, you hook up to your trailer, you then put it forward gear and try to drive forwards at least twice.
The blooming thing won’t move (hopefully :smiley: ).

So your subconscious is going “If the blooming thing won’t move, why does it need a handbrake■■?”
(You don’t need to tell me the answer, I know it, from all sorts of experiences :blush: :blush: :unamused: )

I always double check that my handbrake is on. (Now) :laughing: :laughing:

Oh, and the Euro series of IVECOs used to have pressure on the yellow line when the handbrake’s on, too.
Scanias don’t, at least none of the ones I’ve driven so far have.