Oops I forgot the legs!

When I hitch up, or drop a trailer I just go into the zone.fixed on doing the job properly ,but for some reason dropping a trailer last week ,heard this loud screeching noise :open_mouth: it was another truck braking hard,I walked to the front of the truck and forgot to wind down the legs :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yep dropped it on it,s arse :frowning: :frowning: .

Tried winding the legs down in a low gear ,sometimes this works(on a empty trailer) but no joy… :cry: :blush: :blush: :blush: by now the sweat is ■■■■■■■ out of me. :unamused:

So a big thanks to Fodden 4405on you tube managed to lift it with large planks of wood.,on the unit suspension :unamused: A lesson I will never forget .DONT GET DISTRACTED .

Trailer Fodden -on YouTube :laughing:

Can,t copy link for some reason.

Not done it yet but I keep forgetting the ■■■■ number plate. Police will stop me one of these days as twice in 3 weeks I’ve had to pull up at the side of road and not to mention a few times I’ve had to go back to the trailer and pick it up.

ROG:
[/quote]
:unamused: What’s the point in that vid then Rog :unamused:

Beggersbanquet:
Not done it yet but I keep forgetting the ■■■■ number plate. Police will stop me one of these days as twice in 3 weeks I’ve had to pull up at the side of road and not to mention a few times I’ve had to go back to the trailer and pick it up.

Plate Pin Pipes Peg (leg) Pump (break). PPPPP. A little nursery rhyme. It’s easy done, done the same as you mate and will do it again. Just try and get into the habit of putting the plate on first and taking it off first. Obviously you can’t if you’re picking up a trailer from a loading bay so what I do is put the plate somewhere like the drivers seat or in the windscreen so I can’t forget it.

BLACKEN

Brakes
Legs
Airlines
Clip
Kingpin
Electrics
Number plate

Every time I have finished I do a quick walk around checking with the word BLACKEN :smiley:

Similar to Darb’s post: BLANK

B-brake
L-legs
A-air(susies)
N-number plate
K-king pin (dog clip)

They teach you the word BLACk when learning so that’s what I adhere to (only been driving artics for 3 weeks ) but think BLACKEN or BlANK and even all the p’s are good ideas although last couple of days I’ve concentrated on the number plate first thing I do.

dri-diddly-iver:

ROG:
[/quote]
:unamused: What’s the point in that vid then Rog :unamused:
[/quote]
Explains how to get trl up using what little room you have at the back of a unit… Without damaging wings an lights etc…

Doesn’t show actually picking it up though, bit pointless really.

When dropping a trailer, the last thing i always do is release the kingpin as once you have done that you look left to make sure the legs are down then right to make sure the suzie’s are disconnected then jump into the cab !!

but yes it is very easy to get distracted and forget something and in some places you can get banned from site for dropping a trailer !! :open_mouth:

nice looking foden

Try dropping the air out of the trailer suspension. This pivots the front of the trailer up a couple of inches.

Tris:

Beggersbanquet:

Plate Pin Pipes Peg (leg) Pump (break). PPPPP. A little nursery rhyme. It’s easy done, done the same as you mate and will do it again. Just try and get into the habit of putting the plate on first and taking it off first. Obviously you can’t if you’re picking up a trailer from a loading bay so what I do is put the plate somewhere like the drivers seat or in the windscreen so I can’t forget it.

no no no :imp: doing it that way you will hav a trailer roll back on you all ways legs trailer brake lines pin a driver dropet a tank on its nose last week got out pulled pin rolled back bang :blush: :blush:

I always wind down the legs first. Forgetting anything else is a disciplinary, forgetting the legs is the sack. At our place anyway.

ROG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1t7GeAgps

Definitely need more videos like this :smiley:

Checked out Luke Ver… Vernons videos a while back, some very useful stuff on his videos. Was looking for videos on how to secure things inside a curtain sider using the internal straps and general tips for using one ect. Had the unit slightly kinked when I opened the curtains… Yes you guessed it… rear lights and wheel arch of the unit to some bashing from the front of the fortlift :open_mouth: Live and learn :smiley:

I take 10 seconds after either pulling the pin or releasing the brake. First to check the thing doesn’t start rolling but on uncoupling I glance at legs and airlines as I go past. Though obviously legs is the most important!

anyway as long as its the same way every time
distracted start again