Ooops

You could have bought a decent second hand lorry for what was paid for this major overhaul. NOT by me.

Looks like a warranty claim is on its way ! Somebody must have been proud of that one . Regards , Geoff

I think the terminology is, “A leg out of bed”!

What make of engine, was it?

Dave…

dave docwra:

Dave…

A Detriot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

bestbooties:

The correct terminolgy is ■■■■■■. :slight_smile:

dave docwra:

bestbooties:

The correct terminolgy is [zb]. :slight_smile:

Yes well & truly,Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

dave docwra:

Dave…

A Detriot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Thanks,

The rattling has stopped.

Dave.

bestbooties:

I was thinking something quite different :smiley:

Happened to me many years ago, Ford 4D, oil and water OK and BOOM , it “ventilated the block”, daylight straight through.

grumpy old man:

bestbooties:

I was thinking something quite different :smiley:

Happened to me many years ago, Ford 4D, oil and water OK and BOOM , it “ventilated the block”, daylight straight through.

I had a 4 cylinder seize up in a D series. as i recall i ws told they had a weakness in some of the quill shafts that drove the oil pump. They would shear with the inevitable consequences! No daylight in my case but it seized solid as the motor was pulling hard up a hill at the time… Ford picked up the tab as the vehicle was only about 1 year old at the time.

I remember getting called out to a Seddon Atkinson 200 series fitted with an International engine which was just on the south side of Shap summit on the M6, The driver reported a knocking noise then no drive, I tilted the cab & I have to say unto then & almost for the next 40 years since I have never seen so much destruction to an engine, what was left of the sump was just full of twisted & broken metals, the block had six holes punched through each side, the engine was replaced under warranty by Scotts of Penrith due to an unknown reason for failing, I came to the conclusion quite some time afterwards that the driver either rolled down the hill in the wrong gear & when he lifted his foot off the clutch it all went horribly wrong or somehow changed down into a very low gear, I wish I had a camera with me back then to show how totally destroyed this engine was.

Dave…

This is a very old, comparatively rare and hence valuable engine. This is an overhaul following a failure, using core components from two engines with certain components being specially made. I have seen the invoices which reveal that considerable work was undertaken by a reputable engine reconditioner . Their invoice is extremely detailed thus making clear not only what was done, but the care taken to get everything they had been asked to do completed to the highest standard. It seems that they were only asked to do certain necessary machining work, the reassembly and all further work apparently being undertaken by the company to whom the job had been entrusted.

At this stage I would request that speculation about who that might be is avoided. It is not any of the well known companies which may spring to mind as being likely.

There seem to have been some problems at the reassembly stage, with the customer being advised that the main bearing shown was ‘pitted’ and another was a bit worse. A decision seems to have been made not to rectify this defect. Even allowing for the possible difficulty likely to be encountered with replacement it seems very odd that the head stud pictured, which is just one of several in the same condition, was not renewed. Whether the rest of the damage to this bearing happened in the following 1000 miles is a moot point. Whatever the case it seems not to have had any bearing upon the ultimate failure. The engine was rejected upon return because of a knock. It was dismantled again and certain quite extensive remedial work undertaken. It then performed satisfactorily until a connecting rod suddenly failed without any warning at moderate revs and while not under full load.

Keeping in mind that anything within reason is repairable and that a hole in the crankcase looks dramatic but is not necessarily terminal, then the consequential damage is remarkably limited from what can be seen without a complete strip down. The affected crankpin is in no worse condition than others examined and more importantly appears to be standard. The bottom of the piston skirt has been broken, but the liner has only the smallest knick in it. The connecting rod is obviously a complete write-off.

The cause of the failure? The ‘remedial work’ following rejection included examination of the connecting rods and considerable attention to them and the bearings. Hairline cracks were discovered in one of these rods. Quite why someone thought it was a good idea to weld these completely escapes me, other rods were to hand. This was precisely the rod which failed, at the point of the ‘repair’ with the results illustrated. There was no warranty offered.

We had plenty of Gardner 6LXB and LXC engine con-rods that sought the outside world, one did it while being reversed into the workshop and the TM was standing there when the gudgeon pin dropped out and rolled down the bankside! “That part looks expensive” the TM said, I replied “Not really but the hole it came out through will be!” but of course he didn’t see the funny side. :unamused:

Pete.

So to save a few dollars or pounds it’s cost them a lot more than they saved !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
So to save a few dollars or pounds it’s cost them a lot more than they saved !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.”

Always made sense to me!

Similar story. Driver flogging it down the M4 heard a “funny noise” so as a precaution pulled onto the hard shoulder. The Mandator wouldn’t re-start, so phoned the cops from an emergency phone who rang through to us.
Next morning I found No. 1 piston had picked up, seized, the rod had ripped out and on the next stroke, driven the piston up, smashing the cylinder head and the top of the block up at least half an inch.
Must have been a rum “funny noise” 8 inches from his left knee! Jim.