Online Petition: Provide much needed Truck Stops across the

Done

Too many truck stops are in a sorry state, done. Good luck.

A bit from Transport focus on HGV stuff in the SE, ■■■■ all to write home about.
transportfocus.org.uk/news- … report.pdf

Bones of report about what drivers ‘want’
d3cez36w5wymxj.cloudfront.net/wp … report.pdf

done

kjw21:
Haven’t read the whole thread but my opinion is that truck parking needs to be taken out of the hands of business and made an integral part of the transport infrastructure.

Not as in truck stops with a multitude of facilities but just parking areas with toilets and showers as a minimum. Similar to the roadside rest areas found in much of Europe.

If anyone wants to say place a Retail/food business on the site then they are purely responsible for their retail premises NOT the whole area such as Moto etc. They are not reliant on parking for profit and if they can’t make money from the flow through of vehicles then that’s their decision. BUT the parking and minimum facilities remain.

It would need to should be funded from the Department of Transport as well as the Department of Trade due to the fact road transport is integral (at this time - that’s an entirely different argument) to a majority of industries if not almost every industry albeit in some cases indirectly.

They will happily spend millions to widen a motorway - they need to take responsibility for the safety (it’s a basic human right - I feel a bit queasy using human rights, ha) and security for the vehicles supplying many facets of this country.

All it takes is decent planning on new build industrial estates and bolting onto existing motorway maintenance projects such as the above mentioned widening.

This will never happen though as I can virtually guarantee an MP or a member of an MP’s family has never nighted out in anything less than a hotel. The RHA and other industry “voices” are as spineless as they come with regards to anything other than something that effects their members profit margins.

It does affect their profit margins. Don’t know about you, but I would willingly do longer days however you can’t leave it past 18:00 in a lot of places.

Cobhams App for an extra 79 spaces is due for decision soon

emaps.elmbridge.gov.uk/ebc_plann … hTab.tmplt

Under search input postcode KT11 3DB for the details

speedyguy:
Cobhams App for an extra 79 spaces is due for decision soon

emaps.elmbridge.gov.uk/ebc_plann … hTab.tmplt

Under search input postcode KT11 3DB for the details

Hopefully it is approved as it is desperately needed. What gets me is that most services are surrounded by fields and land which are serving no use or purpose to anyone really. Most services you could double the lorry park without much inconvenience to anybody near by like farmers etc. It should be compulsory purchase or such like.

Done :slight_smile:

Signed and shared on FB

CMB82:
Hopefully it is approved as it is desperately needed. What gets me is that most services are surrounded by fields and land which are serving no use or purpose to anyone really. Most services you could double the lorry park without much inconvenience to anybody near by like farmers etc. It should be compulsory purchase or such like.

I hear the council wallahs rolled up early morning and said it doesn’t look that busy :open_mouth: “that’s because they all left before your office hours start”

It is unlikely to be CPO’d as many service areas are privately owned and the land around them will be “ransom land” to the farmer. Unless an operator can negotiate a land swap.

This is the Governments response to the petition.

petition.parliament.uk/petition … sponse=yes

Government responded

The Department recognises the importance of the road haulage industry to the UK economy and that its drivers are its most valuable and unfortunately scare resource.

We know, to support the industry and those that work in it, there is a need for more good quality roadside facilities and there needs to be better access to facilities at delivery sites. To seek to address this DfT Minister, the Rt Hon John Hayes CBE MP chaired a working group with industry representatives to address the availability and standard of facilities.

The attendees for the meeting on facilities included the Freight Transport Association, Road Haulage Association, motorway service area and truckstop operators, local authorities and trade unions.

The key issues identified include:
• joining up national and local planning frameworks to ensure provision of facilities is included in development projects;
• working with planners to consider how to minimise objections to planning applications;
• payment systems for facilities to enable hauliers to better book and pay for facilities in advance;
• development of a quality charter for facilities, including those for delivery drivers; and
• when facilities are supplied, ensuring there is adequate parking enforcement.
We are currently working with the Road Haulage Association, Unite the Union, the campaign group Toilets for Truckers and the Health and Safety Executive to establish the legal rights of visiting drivers. We are considering how to develop a Code of Practice for the sector that recognises the need to provide access to facilities and promotes best practice. We will seek to inform those involved of the physical and mental health impacts on drivers of a lack of access to facilities as well as the possible impacts for road safety.

In addition, to inform the wider work on roadside facilities the Department for Transport has also commissioned a national survey of lorry parking that will provide evidence about what facilities are needed and where they should be sited. This information is vital if new facilities are to be commercially viable and assist councils in controlling inappropriate parking. The survey work will be extensive and the study is due to be completed soon.

Department for Transport

With an election in the offing can we expect a sympathetic response from our local parliamentary candidates? Or am I being naive? Will they listen to the nimbys more?

Take that question as a rhetorical one.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk