Online Petition: Provide much needed Truck Stops across the

This subject got a mention in parliament today at prime ministers questions. Some MP calling for more lorry parking facilities, but also calling for more restrictions on where they CAN park (nimbys in action). The PM acknowledged there’s a problem so at least they’re aware but I’m not holding my breath!

GORDON 50:
Some MP calling for more lorry parking facilities, but also calling for more restrictions on where they CAN park (nimbys in action).

I wonder which one of those proposals they will prioritise on, especially where those nimbys are their constituents and votes are up for grabs.

Money generating options will always prevail. Insufficient (legal & suitable) parking means more penalties available to use if ignored by drivers.

I think we just have to continue working away on this topic, and constantly try to keep the poor conditions that most drivers are expected to put up with in front of the general population.

My own site continues to show videos which constantly refer to the problems truck drivers - the latest features a female driver who is very straightforward about the issues, and the more we have of this kind of comment from drivers the better. I’ve been working on getting more publicity for the needs of drivers, and will continue to do more after the Christmas holidays.

GORDON 50:
This subject got a mention in parliament today at prime ministers questions. Some MP calling for more lorry parking facilities, but also calling for more restrictions on where they CAN park (nimbys in action). The PM acknowledged there’s a problem so at least they’re aware but I’m not holding my breath!

Keep your eyes peeled for “stuff”, I don’t blame you for not holding your breath.

robroy:

GORDON 50:
Some MP calling for more lorry parking facilities, but also calling for more restrictions on where they CAN park (nimbys in action).

I wonder which one of those proposals they will prioritise on, especially where those nimbys are their constituents and votes are up for grabs.

The latter, meaning even less places to park…i really do feel for you lot having to put up with so much obstructive cr@p in the UK… :cry:

signing this petition, the one thing that boils my p**s is the fact that motorway services charge so much and make so much revenue and they cant provide a decent shower!! i know it comes down to the drivers that use them really but it must be looked at

also what about the addition of gym equipment in truck stops, i would truely be interested in that as cant say the trucker is the most healthy person in the world and would be a great benefit to health and welbeen

bigdavehull:
signing this petition, the one thing that boils my p**s is the fact that motorway services charge so much and make so much revenue and they cant provide a decent shower!! i know it comes down to the drivers that use them really but it must be looked at

also what about the addition of gym equipment in truck stops, i would truely be interested in that as cant say the trucker is the most healthy person in the world and would be a great benefit to health and welbeen

They put up with trucks because they have to not because they make money from them, £25 for a nights parking is nothing compared to the money they could make from having shops on the truck parking area.

A gym for truckers what a waste of money most won’t even walk to the toilets.

Done

Time to try and take this forward again. As the OP, I’ve read every response, and there have been a lot of constructive comments - although I’ve been sad to see the number that said, in effect, why bother . . . .

One of the ways I’d like to handle this is by looking more closely at the number of MPs trying to make life more difficult for truckers, particularly delivering to their town/constituency. I plan to challenge these individuals directly, and see what responses we can get. Please take a couple of minutes to send me a PM or message if you notice something in the press or online - in case I miss it, and we’ll see what we can achieve this way. If we could get MPs to have a more realistic view, then perhaps we could get some of them onside for improved facilities.

I’ve signed it, if I had the money to buy some land in a good spot I would open one, it’s a liscence to print money,

mac12:

bigdavehull:

They put up with trucks because they have to not because they make money from them, £25 for a nights parking is nothing compared to the money they could make from having shops on the truck parking area.

i can understand that they have to provide somewhere for trucks to overnight but we are all human beings and deserve something half decent whilst been away from home, whats wrong with having cleanliness and possibility of exercise! i know alot of drivers and 95% of them would use a gym of jump at the chance of been able to exercise during the week

ryan011284:
I’ve signed it, if I had the money to buy some land in a good spot I would open one, it’s a liscence to print money,

Why is it how much do you think they make charging £25 a night? if it’s such a good earner they would be everywhere.

Haven’t read the whole thread but my opinion is that truck parking needs to be taken out of the hands of business and made an integral part of the transport infrastructure.

Not as in truck stops with a multitude of facilities but just parking areas with toilets and showers as a minimum. Similar to the roadside rest areas found in much of Europe.

If anyone wants to say place a Retail/food business on the site then they are purely responsible for their retail premises NOT the whole area such as Moto etc. They are not reliant on parking for profit and if they can’t make money from the flow through of vehicles then that’s their decision. BUT the parking and minimum facilities remain.

It would need to should be funded from the Department of Transport as well as the Department of Trade due to the fact road transport is integral (at this time - that’s an entirely different argument) to a majority of industries if not almost every industry albeit in some cases indirectly.

They will happily spend millions to widen a motorway - they need to take responsibility for the safety (it’s a basic human right - I feel a bit queasy using human rights, ha) and security for the vehicles supplying many facets of this country.

All it takes is decent planning on new build industrial estates and bolting onto existing motorway maintenance projects such as the above mentioned widening.

This will never happen though as I can virtually guarantee an MP or a member of an MP’s family has never nighted out in anything less than a hotel. The RHA and other industry “voices” are as spineless as they come with regards to anything other than something that effects their members profit margins.

Done

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mac12:

ryan011284:

Why is it how much do you think they make charging £25 a night? if it’s such a good earner they would be everywhere.

Yup, If it’s so profitable I’m struggling to understand why the RHA & FTA are not falling over themselves to open up new facilities as they are transport “experts” :unamused:
m.forecourttrader.co.uk/news/ful … rking.html

I see the patision is no where near where it needs to be (only about 1/3)
I though about it then I though about the red lion Northampton and then rethough about it and it would not be worth the match stick to set it alight!
The staff and the customers there are scum! and this is why I will not sing the patition

ChrisG46:
Time to try and take this forward again. As the OP, I’ve read every response, and there have been a lot of constructive comments - although I’ve been sad to see the number that said, in effect, why bother . . . .

One of the ways I’d like to handle this is by looking more closely at the number of MPs trying to make life more difficult for truckers, particularly delivering to their town/constituency. I plan to challenge these individuals directly, and see what responses we can get. Please take a couple of minutes to send me a PM or message if you notice something in the press or online - in case I miss it, and we’ll see what we can achieve this way. If we could get MPs to have a more realistic view, then perhaps we could get some of them onside for improved facilities.

thurrock,3 docks the gateway to kent,euroland and this is the ■■■■■ they come up with

thurrock.gov.uk/sites/defau … 201011.pdf

mac12:

bigdavehull:

LoL.

Done and good luck with the petition.