Online cpc

Hiya guys, I’ve done a search on this but failed to find the exact answer I’m looking for so apologies if it’s been done to death already. I’m looking at online cpc courses and was just wondering exactly how they work. When you log on do you actually sit there in front of your screen and interact as you would in say a Skype call, face to face or is it similar to the theory part of a licence where you just read stuff? Reason I’m asking is I’m just recovering from illness at the moment so now would be an ideal time to complete my remaining two but not sure if I’m well enough for 7 hours a day of live interaction without having to…errrr…run off and do what I’ve got to do :frowning: Hope all that makes sense, thanks in advance

woody2808:
When you log on do you actually sit there in front of your screen and interact as you would in say a Skype call, face to face

Yes it’s exactly that, usually a Zoom or Microsoft Teams group video conference so everyone who is in the course is on screen. If you’ve not got a computer with a webcam you can use a mobile or tablet with one. You’re expected to interact just as if it were in a classroom.

An excellent way to burn through a day for those on furlough or isolating and looking for something to do.

Given you’re able to leave the classroom to go to the toilet during a normal classroom based day’s training I can’t see you having to nip off for a few minutes every now and again being an issue but clarify that with the people who are running the course. I would also expect there will still be the mid-morning and mid-afternoon 10-15 minute break too, usually around an hour and a half to two hours in.

Thanks for the quick reply Connor, that’s exactly what I wanted to know. Cheers mate

Conor:

woody2808:
An excellent way to burn through a day for those on furlough or isolating and looking for something to do.

Doing a CPC module is “an excellent way to burn through a day” ■■ :open_mouth: I would rather stick pins in my eyes, frankly.

Mick Bracewell:

Conor:

woody2808:

Doing a CPC module is “an excellent way to burn through a day” ■■ :open_mouth: I would rather stick pins in my eyes, frankly.

:smiley: Me too, especially when I’m really not well but those with greater knowledge than ours (allegedly) say we need to do it so hey ho

Hi woody done mine a couple of weeks ago through driver hire.No problem with going to the loo…instructor had the runs :grimacing: cheers Ray

The general guideline is that if your offline or off screen for more than 10mins they can kick you off the course, likewise if you fall asleep on screen they’ll try to contact you to re-establish contact, failure to respond and your off. Consider having a backup plan if your connection goes down or signal drops and you go offline. My laptop dropped off zoom so I jumped on the zoom app on my phone while I sorted my laptop out. I did all my 35hrs during lockdown MK1 with a Scottish company, the adjudicator was online during one of the sessions, but other than that it was pretty laid back, go make a cuppa or go to the loo etc while online no problem, but again don’t be off screen for too long

tenor.gif

stargazer148:
Hi woody done mine a couple of weeks ago through driver hire.No problem with going to the loo…instructor had the runs :grimacing: cheers Ray

Hi I used Driver CPC Burnley. They send you all the required links etc. Quite relaxed about toilet breaks, answering personal phone calls etc if you or the trainer lose contact due to the internet connection, send him a text saying your still there, and your re connecting, he,s fine with that.

Hi
I completed mine with VR Services. ( VR Training Academy) I highly recommend them, I found them to be very professional, the rate was great and I am enrolling this week to do one 7hr module towards my next Periodic Training. You can find them on Google. My points of contact were Jim Cavanagh and David McLean. It wasn’t too painful.
Good luck.
GS

I did 2 modules while isolating before an operation. On the 1st one I lost the internet so continued on audio only while the router rebooted. I felt poorly on the 2nd and did nod off but the trainer had a shout at me and ok after.
This girl is doing 2 x 3.5 evening courses which I thought was worth a go. Might be others doing similar

Pursy

I did one back in the summer and quite frankly is was awful. They sent the link only a few minutes before the course was due to start and I connected ok. There was 8 of us on the course, one was still in bed, another had no shirt on, a third guy was clearly watching TV and a fourth was absent more than he was present. Also the ability to learn is poor. There was very little possibility of feed back or asking questions. No confirmation of learning through quizzes, so I could see a couple of people were really struggling and the instructor just moved on.

I can appreciate, in theses times, it may be necessary, and I am sure it was early days then so training providers have upped their game, but it isn’t for me. I like to learn not just tick a box.

R2R

If you split the 7hrs into 2x 3.5hrs both must be completed in a 24hr Window.
+1 for VR services, these where the guys I did mine with.

stargazer148:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for all the replies guys and girls, I’m not sure what app we’re using yet but looks like I’d better download a few on all my devices just to be sure. Thanks again