One of those days .

Tipped this morning in West Bromwich and 1 pallet left to deliver to Derby , in my head down the M6 and then A 38 but no satnav took me on the northbound M6 (I know shouldn’t listen to sat nav ) but as I had not been that way in a lot of years and the satnav said off at junction 11 for Cannock I thought no problem cut across from there but no satnav bought me down the M6 toll to the A38 costing me £10.90 .
Worse was to come though you know some of those industrial estates that you have to drive through a housing estate to well satnav took me down some narrow terraced roads and then finally into a new housing estate . Still not too worried as have driven through stuff like this before where you think no way and sure enough there is the industrial estate at the end only this time no . A dustcart pulls up in front and after chatting with him I had to reverse down a narrow winding road with parked cars that was tighter than you would want .
I did find the industrial estate and I now know which way to go .
No I did not hit anything and yes I should have stopped and looked at google maps or google earth before getting into that predicament but if like me you have delivered to some strange places you don’t question as much as you maybe should . And yes I will carry on using the satnav but maybe trust my own judgement a bit more .

Won’t company pay toll , I’ve only ever ended up on toll once ( daydreaming ) & I just told them roads were closed and it was either a 7.5 t limit or toll so did sensible thing and took toll , they paid it
Nb were not meant to use it , toll

Gillberry:
Tipped this morning in West Bromwich and 1 pallet left to deliver to Derby , in my head down the M6 and then A 38 but no satnav took me on the northbound M6 (I know shouldn’t listen to sat nav ) but as I had not been that way in a lot of years and the satnav said off at junction 11 for Cannock I thought no problem cut across from there but no satnav bought me down the M6 toll to the A38 costing me £10.90 .
Worse was to come though you know some of those industrial estates that you have to drive through a housing estate to well satnav took me down some narrow terraced roads and then finally into a new housing estate . Still not too worried as have driven through stuff like this before where you think no way and sure enough there is the industrial estate at the end only this time no . A dustcart pulls up in front and after chatting with him I had to reverse down a narrow winding road with parked cars that was tighter than you would want .
I did find the industrial estate and I now know which way to go .
No I did not hit anything and yes I should have stopped and looked at google maps or google earth before getting into that predicament but if like me you have delivered to some strange places you don’t question as much as you maybe should . And yes I will carry on using the satnav but maybe trust my own judgement a bit more .

You’ve said it 4 times, which explains the cause of your problem.
‘‘Sat nav took me/sat nav told me/sat nav brought me/sat nav said…go to…’’

No you’re wrong, you should listen to your sat nav, but …
Try …Sat nav ‘‘SUGGESTED’’ then YOU decide…and you’ll be fine next time. :bulb:

Sorry that sounds really arsey :blush: :smiley: , but you get my drift. :wink:

Assuming that the accurate dimensions of the vehicle are Entered in the satnav, the route preferences are setup correctly, and it has a live traffic subscription, then maybe just maybe it will take you the best way. But numerous times I’ve see drivers using the satnav app on their phone rather than a dedicated truck satnav and the disastrous results are obvious.

at least you owned up to having a lapse of sanity and reverted to being a steering wheel attendant for a day with the profiso that you will pay more attention from now on and not drive like your average cabbage in a hiviz twunt… :smiley:

No sympathy, I’m leaving then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In all seriousness it’s a good thing I’m not a steering wheel attendant otherwise it would be all over the news about damage to cars and a hgv being stuck :smiley: even the bin men said nice reversing.
And like I said one of those days as I normally check my route if I’m going somewhere new , so yes a lapse on my part but at least I’m not afraid to admit I’m only human :smiley: :smiley:

dozy:
Won’t company pay toll , I’ve only ever ended up on toll once ( daydreaming ) & I just told them roads were closed and it was either a 7.5 t limit or toll so did sensible thing and took toll , they paid it

Company will pay if I have a good enough excuse as same again we’re not supposed to use it but with everything else I’ll take it on the chin and chalk it up to a new experience as I’ve never been on it before and it was nice and quiet and no potholes :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

peirre:
Assuming that the accurate dimensions of the vehicle are Entered in the satnav, the route preferences are setup correctly, and it has a live traffic subscription, then maybe just maybe it will take you the best way. But numerous times I’ve see drivers using the satnav app on their phone rather than a dedicated truck satnav and the disastrous results are obvious.

Proper truck satnav but 4 yrs old and a cheapie that usually does the trick when combined with me checking my route and where exactly my destination is .
That’s why it was one of those days as I failed to follow my usual procedures which means the satnav is only an aid , just me being lazy and teaching myself a lesson . :laughing:

Gillberry:

peirre:

Proper truck satnav but 4 yrs old and a cheapie that usually does the trick when combined with me checking my route and where exactly my destination is .
That’s why it was one of those days as I failed to follow my usual procedures which means the satnav is only an aid , just me being lazy and teaching myself a lesson . :laughing:

Tbf mate I’ve also done it.
You head for a regular drop that you know, maybe listening to something good on radio, or generally day dreaming, you hear sat nav n background, saying turn left, you look at the left turn and go with it, or maybe even miss it, then think ‘I don’t remember seeing this or that’’ but on a drop for first time I’m a bit more on the ball.

robroy:

Gillberry:

peirre:

You head for a regular drop that you know, maybe listening to something good on radio, or generally day dreaming, you hear sat nav n background, saying turn left, you look at the left turn and go with it, or maybe even miss it, then think ‘I don’t remember seeing this or that’’ but on a drop for first time I’m a bit more on the ball.

Usually I am on the ball especially for a first time drop but like I said one of those days that bought me back down to earth and apart from the toll charge no bumps :smiley:

robroy:

Gillberry:

peirre:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats because you,and the o/p like myself and a few others on here “are only human”
look at the number of “professional and ex professional” on here that are above reproach.
if you dont make a ballsup now and again then your not trying. :slight_smile:

I’d check the nav to see if it has an avoid tolls option as most do. At least that should avoid the M6 toll rip off.

You prob don’t want a truck one for Derby as there are so many 7.5T limits around ind areas, it’d have a fit and flounce off faster than Dozy! :wink:

Done it myself, thought Sat nav knew something I didn’t, trusted it then 20 minutes later shouting at it saying ‘you do this on purpose c*ntybollox’.

Although letting it take me on a toll road is yet to be added to my cockup arsenal… :slight_smile:

Usually happens rushing with no manual route plan.

Live and learn but as long as you had fun and endangered no kittens it’s all good.

Everything happens for a reason as they say, ‘they’ being folk like us who are only 1 lapse of concentration away from ■■■■ up city…

trevHCS:
I’d check the nav to see if it has an avoid tolls option as most do. At least that should avoid the M6 toll rip off.

You prob don’t want a truck one for Derby as there are so many 7.5T limits around ind areas, it’d have a fit and flounce off faster than Dozy! :wink:

Found the toll option and now took it off :smiley:

Gillberry:

peirre:

If you want to get out of the habit of sat nav reliance, try driving on a night! Theres that many road closure that, unless you have a super duper sat nav that gives you the diversion route, they’re next to useless.

I would give you examples of my ■■■■ ups in those situations, but I’d probably exceed the boards character limit!!

Before following SatNav suggestions I normally tap on the screen to see what route it has planned.
Sometimes it’s the same as I was planning.
Sometimes it’s different to the route I was considering and I’ll try it out. Maybe I’ll think that route is silly.
Occasionally it will be an insane route…
Often it’ll try to avoid “except for access” weight limits, that are ok to run.
I try to look at the routes and understand WHY it is being suggested.
SatNav seems to assume you are driving close to the speed limit. Might be reasonable on a m-way, but not with a heavy load on narrow, hilly, roads.
Example of route avoiding a weight limit?
Niort to Blaye. Via ferries at Royan and Lamarque.

I use the Sygic app on my phone.

I’ve got avoid tolls checked…and it does. Usually.

However, it always tries to put me on the M6 toll [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Before following SatNav suggestions I normally tap on the screen to see what route it has planned.
Sometimes it’s different to the route I was considering and I’ll try it out. Maybe I’ll think that route is silly.

Yep, that is just what I do with my crappy old car sat nav (that I fully admit Iwould never be without it these days)
I basically know main routes to main places down to experience (but I never would have known or gained that useful experience if I’d totally relied on a ■■■■ sat nav all these years :bulb: ) but I get close and then check sat nav for the last few miles to the actual drop.

I then have a look at my Truckers map (being old school) to cross reference the route for bridges etc (other higher tech methods are available :smiley: )
Then I decide (not sat nav) which way to go, …but leave sat nav on anyway.

It’s usually rural areas I cover, so I do have to be careful …(ie 44toner/single track roads) if it says turn left, if it looks iffy I usually respond out loud with ‘‘Aye and ■■■■ that’’ :smiley: and then carry on to a more suitable looking road, quickly glancing at map again.
I’ve previously always rang customer for basic instructions to farm btw.

Works well for me anyhow, and saving 3 to 400 + quid :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , on something I don’t really need is a bonus. :sunglasses:

How’s that for you for tact Mr (mod) Bobbya. :laughing:

robroy:

Franglais:

Yep, that is just what I do with my crappy old car sat nav (that I fully admit Iwould never be without it these days)
I basically know main routes to main places down to experience (but I never would have known or gained that useful experience if I’d totally relied on a [zb] sat nav all these years :bulb: ) but I get close and then check sat nav for the last few miles to the actual drop.

I then have a look at my Truckers map (being old school) to cross reference the route for bridges etc (other higher tech methods are available :smiley: )
Then I decide (not sat nav) which way to go, …but leave sat nav on anyway.

It’s usually rural areas I cover, so I do have to be careful …(ie 44toner/single track roads) if it says turn left, if it looks iffy I usually respond out loud with ‘‘Aye and [zb] that’’ :smiley: and then carry on to a more suitable looking road, quickly glancing at map again.
I’ve previously always rang customer for basic instructions to farm btw.

Works well for me anyhow, and saving 3 to 400 + quid :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , on something I don’t really need is a bonus. :sunglasses:

How’s that for you for tact Mr (mod) Bobbya. [emoji38]

Agreed here: when the SatNav tells us to turn, we still have the choice whether to or not. Overshoot a narrow awkward turn, If not comfortable with it, and take time to assess it.
Phones, plus eyeballs and walking boots are useful tools too.
Edid. And if more than an occasional twig is scratching the cab roof, be cautious.

Gillberry:

dozy:

Company will pay if I have a good enough excuse as same again we’re not supposed to use it but with everything else I’ll take it on the chin and chalk it up to a new experience as I’ve never been on it before and it was nice and quiet and no potholes :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Have to agree though,that neck of the woods can get a little confusing at times,caught me out a few times :blush: