One for TNCSI to solve

We had a fleet of Volvo FM’s sadly they are starting to be replaced with Crappy Mercs, my worst nightmare!!

Anyway that’s not the point, sat navigation works fine in all the Volvos except one truck, same as all the others but sat nav will not find more than one or two satellites at best.

Used my cheap sat nav a tablet with igo truck on it and even tried using sat nav on my phone. None will pick up GPS.

Why is this truck blocking satellite signal but none of the others do.

Do I need to wear a tin hat whilst driving this truck?

Incidentally I don’t need the sat nav but I like to have it on for speed cameras etc just in case I should need to use it.

So come on TNCSI figure this one out. The rest of our Volvos will be gone in October so won’t be an issue after then.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

tracker system on a M.A.N I once drove caused a similar problem ■■ it was a hire vehicle where as the others in the fleet weren’t .

I had problems with losing GPS on a Tom Tom when I worked for Brit European, I changed it at the shop and the next one was the same, so the problem was something in the truck.
They had a communication computer system on board, basically to txt you instructions and track you etc, this was found to interfere with the sat nav, I was told.
All I did was move my sat nav into different positions until the interference stopped, and kept it there.
I would assume yours are the built in type, so maybe if you found the source of the interference and moved it, tracker etc, it may work.

Could be as they all have Microlise installed but yet none of the others do it weirdly. Maybe bad positioning of the GPS antenna for the tracker?

Heat reflective or other coating on the windscreen?

I’m sure i read about some cars having this problem, you would sometimes see French cars with screens that appear reflective.

Looking at the screen of the lorry in question, does it appear different to others without the problem?..i don’t know the answer but something is physically blocking the signal if your own sat nav is suffering the same.

Only things fitted to this truck are the Microlise tracker and a Bury phone kit. Nothing else and same as all the others same year style and everything.

Windscreen looks same as any other, never had an issue with screens being reflective in any vehicle although I have heard of that before. Screen has likely been replaced as have most of ours as the amount of chips we get that can’t be repaired. Being a PLC company as well it will no doubt be the cheapest screen available so unlikely to have heat reflection coating etc.

Like I say it is only in this particular truck it is an issue.

Now I’m parked up sat navigation has picked up signal no issue, I have found sometimes if the roof hatch is open and or the windows it will work for a while but even then just drops out for no real reason.

Its odd and I’d love to get to the bottom of it for sure curiosity.

I had exactly this problem last year and changed THREE satnavs (sorry Argos). As an experiment I asked to go out in another vehicle, a much older member of the fleet was provided and bingo, no problem!

Check if there are any CD’s sat in the windscreen…

the nodding donkey:

HAHA you obviously remember the craze for putting cds in the window to stop speed cameras working…

Who thought of that gem…

the nodding donkey:

Er no lol