One for TK dave

stringy:
I’m with DHL Containers previously Securicor Omega before that Dual Carriage, James Irlam, Ionian.

hello Stringy - when did u work for Irlams as I was there for a few years. I recall that TK in Vandies (often wondered how it managed with the weight) I was at Westerns at the time (did the man Rankin ever work for Caddies?) Was that yard near the viaduct the last depot that Norseman had (a skip firm in there now) Staying with the TK’s, I took my test in one with a firm at Burtonwood (think they were called Ollertons) a 4 speed artic and semi trailer, passed my test and got straight into a 6X2 Scania tractor unit - which was almost as long as the Bedford artic combo! I also remember Rylands Wire had TK’s for shunting around the works and I think they also used the dolly converters on some of their older kit.

the photo of the curtain sider in the picture was frank andrews rip and cliff retford i worked with them both yes it is big arthur i started with nwss and drove the erf called the norseman that is where the name came from. :smiley:

Hello Big Arthur, you are correct, the photo was of Frank (The Tank) Andrews who was killed in France when he was driving a tanker for Dentresangles after he had left Norseman Freight. Sadly his wife Brenda died last year after a long battle with cancer, here is a photo of them both in one of the shops in the Bazarr in Istanbul. I met you briefly in Dover sometime in the eighties but I can’t remember if it was Bob Mathews or Mick Cosgrove who introduced me to you. On another trip with Bob we met up with another Norseman driver called Tommy, this was about 1985, do any of these names ring any bells ?

mushroomman:
Hello Big Arthur, you are correct, the photo was of Frank (The Tank) Andrews who was killed in France when he was driving a tanker for Dentresangles after he had left Norseman Freight. Sadly his wife Brenda died last year after a long battle with cancer, here is a photo of them both in one of the shops in the Bazarr in Istanbul. I met you briefly in Dover sometime in the eighties but I can’t remember if it was Bob Mathews or Mick Cosgrove who introduced me to you. On another trip with Bob we met up with another Norseman driver called Tommy, this was about 1985, do any of these names ring any bells ?

Yes I new Frank very well and a lot of the old hands Billy jones ronnie royal bob Mathews don Gibson and many more Frank brother worked at levers Eric rip keny corigan then all the ex radclive driver Micky dunston porky big Dave I have been round the block a few times. :smiley:

Good heavens Arthur :open_mouth: , I hope that the K.G.B. are not reading this thread. All of those names that you have just mentioned could help them with their enquires into the disappearance of hundreds of thousands of litres of diesel fuel that went missing from a number of communist countries in the 1970/80’s. :wink: