One for the Tacho Experts

Driver discovers at the start of his shift (at base) that his digi tacho is faulty.

Reports it to management,

They say, if is defected and booked in for repair, the driver is ok to use vehicle (for his days work).

I say it is not ok (using a vehicle when you know it to be defective).

We all know about using digi tachos if you lose/have a faulty card, but what is the law regarding using a vehicle with a faulty VU.

Thanks in advance.

i thought u could use it still but make a manual printout but it must be repaired withinh 15 days correct me if im wrong :open_mouth:

redboxer850:
Driver discovers at the start of his shift (at base) that his digi tacho is faulty.

Reports it to management,

They say, if is defected and booked in for repair, the driver is ok to use vehicle (for his days work).

I say it is not ok (using a vehicle when you know it to be defective).

We all know about using digi tachos if you lose/have a faulty card, but what is the law regarding using a vehicle with a faulty VU.

Thanks in advance.

Its not ok to use it, you’re correct. It should be sent for repair as soon as its found to be faulty. As far as i know the only leeway anyone has for using a vehicle with a faulty VU is if they are away from base, in which case they have a week to get it back to base and repaired or repaired en route.

I agree with Mice-C it’s illegal to use the vehicle with a faulty tachograph unless you’re away from base in which case you have 7 days to get it fixed either back at base or on your journey.

There’s a £60 fixed penalty for using a vehicle with a defective tachograph if you get stopped.
I’ve defected vehicles for defective tachographs and they were taken off road immediately without question from the TM :wink:

Chewyboy:
i thought u could use it still but make a manual printout but it must be repaired withinh 15 days correct me if im wrong :open_mouth:

I think you maybe getting mixed up with the lost/stolen or faulty Driver Card rules where you should take a printout at the start and end of shift and you do indeed have 15 days to get the card replaced as long as you report it as faulty/lost or stolen :wink:

The vehicle should not be used if it is at base and has malfunctioned. There is no excuse for taking the vehicle on the road, if it is at its base.

Breakdown of equipment
EU legislation requires that in the event of a breakdown or faulty operation of the equipment, it must be repaired as soon as possible. If the vehicle is unable to return to its base within a week the repair must be carried out en route.
UK legislation also provides that a driver or operator will not be liable to be convicted if they can prove to a court that the vehicle was on its way to a place where the recording equipment could be repaired, or that it was not immediately practicable for the equipment to be repaired and the driver was keeping a manual record. Additionally, they will not be liable where a seal is broken and the breaking of the seal was unavoidable and it could not be immediately repaired, providing that all other aspects of the EU rules were being complied with.
For faults and breakdowns involving digital tachographs, operators should ask the repair centre to download any data held on the unit. If this is not possible the centre should issue the operator with a ‘certificate of undownloadability’, which must be kept for at least 12 months.

Thanks guys,

just as i thought :slight_smile:

Hate to disagree with you all, but…there is nothing wrong with using a vehicle with a faulty tacho (analogue or digital) PROVIDED that it is repaired as soon as possible. If the vehicle doesn’t return to base within 7 days of the fault being discovered, the tacho must be repaired en route.

If the tacho is faulty you MUST keep manual records of your activities.

If you find that the tacho is faulty at the start of your evening shift report it straight away. The Operator is required to get the tacho repaired as soon as possible, but they may not be able to contact a tacho centre to the following morning, who may not be able to book the vehicle in until the following day. In reality that is getting the tacho repaired ‘as soon as possible.’ Of course, if there is another vehicle available the sensible option is to use the other vehicle.

For those travelling outside the UK, take care, some countries have domestic legislation that makes it an offence to enter the country with a non functioning tacho.

geebee45:

I assume that if it is a faulty digi tacho (no printouts available) then those records must be on analogue charts■■?

ROG:

geebee45:

I assume that if it is a faulty digi tacho (no printouts available) then those records must be on analogue charts■■?

No ROG, you have to take printouts. :unamused: :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Rog said;

Rog, you assume incorrectly. Why would you be carrying analogue tacho charts when your vehicle has a digital tacho fitted?
The legislation says that you will keep a manual record, logic would suggest that you use the reverse side of printout paper when using a vehicle with a digital tacho. Likewise, when the vehicle is fitted with an analogue tacho you’d use the reverse of a tacho chart.

Neil, I almost missed the irony of your answer :smiley: Do I hear trumpets sounding around Leicester??

geebee45:
Neil, I almost missed the irony of your answer :smiley: Do I hear trumpets sounding around Leicester??

Fanfare for the Common Man. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I was unaware that the reverse of an unused blank printout roll could be used - but I know now - thanks

ROG:
I was unaware that the reverse of an unused blank printout roll could be used - but I know now - thanks

The reverse side of the roll is marked out in much the same way as the back of a chart is with little squares and has spaces for entering and signing your name, the date and your digi card number.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

The reverse side of the roll is marked out in much the same way as the back of a chart is with little squares and has spaces for entering and signing your name, the date and your digi card number.

WOW !!
Thanks Neil :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have never seen the back of a digi tacho roll - have now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

geebee45:
Do I hear trumpets sounding around Leicester??

I’ve heard a rumour that there’s a trumpet in Leicester, but I’m waiting for confirmation. :laughing: :wink: :grimacing: