One for the shunters

Question for the shunters that use the tug on a regular basis:

Did you find being a shunter for a while had helped sharpen up your reversing when backing onto a bay with a regular tractor unit?

I’ve just been trained up as a shunter today and I’ve found reversing trailers with the tug vastly more accurate (and fun!) than a tractor unit, so I’m just wondering if there was any carryover to regular reversing.

The only thing you will learn/carry over is a shunters happy go lucky attitude :smiley:

No,I’m the opposite.
Totally useless in a standard road unit…when I’ve been on the tug. :blush:

As above ^^^^ tugs make you look far better than you really are :smiley: after a week in a Terberg I’m hopeless for the first day back in a standard unit.

Speaking of shunting oddities I pulled a 10m urban trailer the other day for the first time in god know how long, nearly two decades probably, and reversing it wasn’t a pretty sight :laughing:

Sat sitting (thanks Terry :smiley: ) up close to the side window, tiny little steering wheel easy to twiddle from one lock to the other and the trailer tipped up so that which axle it is going to pivot about is not just predictable but virtually remains constant more or less regardless of changing gradient.

toonsy:
Speaking of shunting oddities I pulled a 10m urban trailer the other day for the first time in god know how long, nearly two decades probably, and reversing it wasn’t a pretty sight :laughing:

I did those regularly, if my memory is right , 8/9/10/12/13 , the hardest part I found was remembering what I had behind me , I once went to screw a 8/9m round in Huddersfield to realise halfway round it was a 13 m , i assume your now on store deliveries , hopefully you don’t get under Victoria centre in notts , 1 st time that’s a nightmare , 4/5/6 drops trying to move cages round , rubbish is hard work

dozy:

toonsy:

I did those regularly, if my memory is right , 8/9/10/12/13 , the hardest part I found was remembering what I had behind me , I once went to screw a 8/9m round in Huddersfield to realise halfway round it was a 13 m , i assume your now on store deliveries , hopefully you don’t get under Victoria centre in notts , 1 st time that’s a nightmare , 4/5/6 drops trying to move cages round , rubbish is hard work

No no I was taking it to a scrap yard for disposal. I do occasionally get some stores but it’s rare, and I’ve done Victoria in Nottingham, its not ideal but we don’t do RSU so don’t need to worry about that.

toonsy:

10m “urban” thats 32ft pretty much a full length trailer for many folk, you should try an Argos urban then you might have a struggle :laughing: :laughing:

lolipop:
10m “urban” thats 32ft pretty much a full length trailer for many folk, you should try an Argos urban then you might have a struggle :laughing: :laughing:

I’m gonna…

Have to stop you there. This is very ‘my dad’s bigger than your dad’.

Guy Warrior, no power steering with a 20 foot loaded skelly trailer on drums and springs in the winter on a mud yard.

Ha! I win.

the maoster:
As above ^^^^ tugs make you look far better than you really are :smiley: after a week in a Terberg I’m hopeless for the first day back in a standard unit.

Guys! You’re not selling it to me correctly lol. You’re supposed to say “Yes Mark shunting will turn you into reversing GOD!”

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Yes Mark shunting will turn you into a reversing GOD! :slight_smile:

In your dreams if not in the real world :wink:
Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

yourhavingalarf:

lolipop:

I’m gonna…

Have to stop you there. This is very ‘my dad’s bigger than your dad’.

Guy Warrior, no power steering with a 20 foot loaded skelly trailer on drums and springs in the winter on a mud yard.

Ha! I win.

I see your 2 foot skelly, and raise you a 20 foot open top container, loaded with coal, on top, down from G-C-G to Swansea docks…

(That, incidentally, was my first job in this country. )

tachograph:
Yes Mark shunting will turn you into a reversing GOD! :slight_smile:

In your dreams if not in the real world :wink:
Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

:smiley:

dozy:

toonsy:

Nah dozy, that’s different.
I did agency with BRS Taskforce for 5 years. Different job every week, sometimes every day.
Driving different vehicles , with a variety of trailer lengths, every day, you don’t get tied ‘into a groove’. You react to every trailer, as it reacts to your input.
If you’re driving a 13.7 m tri-axle for 20 years, you learn exactly how it reacts to your input, and learn exactly how much input it needs.
If you then pull a 10m urban, you know it won’t react the same as your 13.7m tri-ax, but your trained input/reactions don’t believe you :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Simon:

dozy:

toonsy:

Nah dozy, that’s different.
I did agency with BRS Taskforce for 5 years. Different job every week, sometimes every day.
Driving different vehicles , with a variety of trailer lengths, every day, you don’t get tied ‘into a groove’. You react to every trailer, as it reacts to your input.
If you’re driving a 13.7 m tri-axle for 20 years, you learn exactly how it reacts to your input, and learn exactly how much input it needs.
If you then pull a 10m urban, you know it won’t react the same as your 13.7m tri-ax, but your trained input/reactions don’t believe you :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for hijacking my thread guys, go start your own thread! :laughing:

Marky-p:
Thanks for hijacking my thread guys, go start your own thread! :laughing:

It’s connected, obliquely :stuck_out_tongue: