One For The M A N Drivers Among Us

So i have the pleasure of being the latest driver in a 15 plate M A N and it drives pretty much like any other truck uptill that is its in reverse trying to manouver slowley is fun to say the least as when its loaded it just lurches around any one else find this ?

Last truck I ever drove was an auto MAN 6 wheeler with an A frame drawbar.Never had any lurching when reversing empty or loaded.Not the best auto box but was ok.
Presume yours is a manual?

jakethesnake:
Last truck I ever drove was an auto MAN 6 wheeler with an A frame drawbar.Never had any lurching when reversing empty or loaded.Not the best auto box but was ok.
Presume yours is a manual?

No Auto and its a pain trying to get into a space in a services

Exactly why I asked and got a manual for ‘my’ 18 plater. Trying to reverse their autos, especially on site work which I do is soul destroying. My 16 speed manual makes it a pleasure in comparison.

Hitlers Revenge that box

bjd:
Hitlers Revenge that box

No that’s the Merc Actros box , leaves you in middle of roundabout in neutral :imp:
A MAN box just decides to go through every gear till 10th

blue estate:

bjd:
Hitlers Revenge that box

No that’s the Merc Actros box , leaves you in middle of roundabout in neutral :imp:

It is possible to skip gears manually if you want! :wink:

jakethesnake:

blue estate:

bjd:
Hitlers Revenge that box

It is possible to skip gears manually if you want! :wink:

Kind of defeats the purpose of having an auto box if it requires you to do that

Was driving a 13 plate MAN last night. Same problem, hooking up or reversing onto a bay was pretty much Impossible without putting it in tortoise mode. Pulling away from a junction has to be started 5 seconds before you want to move.

Maneuver mode on the box every time.

You have to be really gentle with the throttle on a MAN, in my experience it takes several weeks before you can close maneuver without the lurching but it can be done as gently as any other lorry once used to it, helps if you switch off hill hold (another pile of dung that has no place in a lorry) and control the parking brake yourself…note if the clutch judders badly in reverse when you’re trying to feather it and the motor’s done about 500k (maybe higher mileage for those who carry sod all weight) then there’s a fair chance the release bearing is on the way out, when it goes that’s it, no other warning, tow in jobbie.

Its worth persevering with driving arestronic in manual, after a while once you’ve ‘taught’ the vehicle what you want (ie making it work/lug at sensible revs, not allowing the revs to go too high which they do in auto) you’ll find the engine gives more power at the revs you want it between 900 and 1500, and it will pull away faster from junctions for you.
Try it for yourself, the proof will be when you get back into it after someone else has been driving in auto, it won’t pull your hat off again for about half an hour until you get it back to working hard.

yes they biggest ■■■■ and one of them euro6 should be sold to me for 5k imediately! And it will make me more money than your 120k shiny V8 Scania!

Never had problem with reversing MAN…

Juddian, are you saying the MAN box is a ‘learning’ gearbox…■■

Got this one new in July - our second one. And it’s an absolute pile compared to our previous - that even had a smaller engine! :imp:

99% of the time we only pull Walkers crisps, so a full load is only 1.8t, yet it still decides to pull away in 3rd, sometimes even 2nd…

So you can imagine the lurch when pulling away! :imp:

And as said, it can’t get through the gears quick enough, instead of using each one to it’s potential… :unamused:

One fitter has said it needs an ‘update’ on the gearbox ECU…■■?

Thoughts?..

Boss offered me a brand new one today, mines about 8 weeks old now so obviously due for replacement :smiley: . New ones have a built in fridge, sat nav etc so his logic is that if he gives the trampers them it’ll slightly lessen the chance of the yard chimps using the fridge as a toilet/wastebin (believe me, that has happened) I declined his kind offer.

Goldfinger:
Juddian, are you saying the MAN box is a ‘learning’ gearbox…■■

Got this one new in July - our second one. And it’s an absolute pile compared to our previous - that even had a smaller engine! :imp:

99% of the time we only pull Walkers crisps, so a full load is only 1.8t, yet it still decides to pull away in 3rd, sometimes even 2nd…

So you can imagine the lurch when pulling away! :imp:

And as said, it can’t get through the gears quick enough, instead of using each one to it’s potential… :unamused:

One fitter has said it needs an ‘update’ on the gearbox ECU…■■?

Thoughts?..

No, the gearbox didn’t learn on mine as such, it’s just the 440/arsetronic combo at least was a different and far better lorry driven in manual.
Engine lugs much better than the auto gearing makes use of.

I don’t recall it going up through every gear in auto, but i wonder if you’re giving it absolutely full throttle going past the kickdown resistance you can feel just before your foot hits the floor?

In auto the starting gear in mine was 4th empty (circa 15t tare probably near enough your gross weight with crips), and avoiding kickdown it would go up through the gears quite normally, usually skipping two gears at a time.

I agree with Juddian, it took me a few weeks to get the feel. Need to be gentle and patient then it works fine. I do find that I often put it in manual to step up the gears quicker but am happy with it most of the time.

I use Manual a lot when I’ve got a heavy weight on and going up a big hill
The 2 places I do this most are
Jct11 M3 entry silp north bound because as soon as you come on to it your going up hill
A34 northbound on that zb no truck over taking section
I don’t have any trouble reversing or pulling away
p/s my truck is a 2014 eruo6 315000k on clock

no1dieselman:
I agree with Juddian, it took me a few weeks to get the feel. Need to be gentle and patient then it works fine. I do find that I often put it in manual to step up the gears quicker but am happy with it most of the time.

Yep,works no problem with a gentle touch.There are drivers and there are other drivers. :wink:

WTF Happened to MAN? Rudolf Diesel must be turning in his grave :frowning: Had a flat-cab F90 362 years ago, pulled like a winner, what a motor. Didn’t drive another one till 2012. What a horrible thing. I hate them with a passion now. It’s a real shame, they were great lorries once.

And so it starts - you talk about them and…

Our truck has had the ‘Gearbox ECU Malfunction’ a few weeks ago…

And as of this week, two of our others have done exactly the same! :laughing:

Anyone want to bet ‘what happens next…■■?’

Goldfinger:
And so it starts - you talk about them and…

Our truck has had the ‘Gearbox ECU Malfunction’ a few weeks ago…

And as of this week, two of our others have done exactly the same! :laughing:

Anyone want to bet ‘what happens next…■■?’

Is that Traxon box or Arsetronic?
If the former then worrying, keep us updated will you please as and when you find out what the issue is.

To be fair my arsetronic never gave any trouble (yes ok it needed to be driven manually to make any progress), save the aforementioned clutch release bearing, a great pity as i’d reported excess clutch judder at previous service so it could have been fixed without a breakdown.

To be fair, people call the MAN’s but mine was one of the most reliable of all the various makes in our fleet, and as economical as any.