One for the Irish lads/ladies

I was on a couple of flights into Belfast for the last couple of Friday evenings from Liverpool, and was surprised by the amount of wagon drivers on the flights (they were wearing dealers/truck company fleeces)

So my question is this: Do a lot of drivers from N/S Ireland “commute” to driving jobs in England by flying? Or do freight companies fly them home and leave the wagons in England?

Just curious. Cheers.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they commuted to jobs in England. You can fly to Ireland cheaper than I can drive the 28 miles to work and back.

Haha, did you hear about the student who flew home to That London from Sheffield, via Berlin, cheaper than direct by rail? Saved £11 and had a nice afternoon in Berlin. (Yeah, it took a lot longer!)

Sort of job that I need but computing to Spain instead

Irish drivers park up at Basildon truckstop and fly home regular from Southend airport, it beats sat in the cab for 45 hours weekly rest or waiting for a load to go to Europe .

From Belfast: I no alot of transport managers etc fly to England for training. I no one firm sends all its staff there for training as its head office is there.
TBH though you can get work here that goes to England alot, but i honestly think its guys working all week in England and flying home. I use Belfast Bristol easyjet 6/7 times a year and return its £50 give or take a few quid either way. The pay in N.I is poor, im not saying its any worse than you may get in England, but for example, and you can easy find the same ad online, a big company here is hiring drivers. class 1. £9 an Hour, thats it, weekends £9 an hour. Nights £9 an hour…

Rutty555:
, a big company here is hiring drivers. class 1. £9 an Hour, thats it, weekends £9 an hour. Nights £9 an hour…

Who’s that then??
Lowest of the big players here in NI that I know is Mulgrew.
£8hr days £10hr nights £12hr weekends.
Montgomery/Woodsides/McBurney will all pay OT after so many hrs.
Sawyers are trip money or salary.
MorganMcLernon are £250trip after tax but run to limit.
McCulla are £550/580 after tax for “5cards” inc nights out.
Manfreight are still@ crap £200trip and they can get diesel for 58ppl in The South!!!

Big Truck:

Rutty555:
, a big company here is hiring drivers. class 1. £9 an Hour, thats it, weekends £9 an hour. Nights £9 an hour…

Who’s that then??
Lowest of the big players here in NI that I know is Mulgrew.
£8hr days £10hr nights £12hr weekends.
Montgomery/Woodsides/McBurney will all pay OT after so many hrs.
Sawyers are trip money or salary.
MorganMcLernon are £250trip after tax but run to limit.
McCulla are £550/580 after tax for “5cards” inc nights out.
Manfreight are still@ crap £200trip and they can get diesel for 58ppl in The South!!!

As i said anyone can find out, its advertised!!
I will stand corrected though, its an agency advert for a big hitter here. Same simple google search for class1 driver jobs N.I also shows Hendersons. Now they are paying big bucks. £14 an hour. The same ad also states, unusualy that there drivers last year earned from 33k-40k
Now off top of my head, as i write this i think the ad said CV’s in by today, it was around the end of Jan anyway. Apologies for vagueness.
I actually no there training guy there, and have been up there a ‘few’ times for various things, training etc, and can say what a pro outfit they are. The job right now this time was just not for me.
You mentioned a good few hitters there, missed out Birds, montgumerry aswell, wink wink, maybe have a look in tgat direction re above…

I worked@ Hendersons a couple of yrs ago and you “knock your pan in” on those Spar/Vivo multidrops.
Nowhere near £14hr (Still mad for drivers!!!) unless the “piece-rate/load bonus” wage structure has changed!!!
Boys have been there yrs on the big earning decker runs but right few “long-termers” now work for DFDS on Sainsburys contract which tells a story in itself!!!

Birds/Montys are on same pay structure AFAIA, approx £550home for week away inc nights out but not hard pushed I don’t think.

Big Truck:
I worked@ Hendersons a couple of yrs ago and you “knock your pan in” on those Spar/Vivo multidrops.
Nowhere near £14hr (Still mad for drivers!!!) unless the “piece-rate/load bonus” wage structure has changed!!!
Boys who’ve been there yrs and the big earning decker runs but right few “long-termers” now work for DFDS on Sainsburys contract which tells a story in itself!!!

Birds/Montys are on same pay structure AFAIA, approx £550home for week away inc nights out but not hard pushed I don’t think.

I hate these forum things, always get people calling people liars, especially an irish thing: do i have to paste the f’in link. Hendersons are paying £14 an hour. Its a simple google search. Now in 1999 they may not of been. Today in 2016 they are.
Now im away to follow your posts and pick holes in them cuz i like to be billy internet king. Jeeze.
All good craic though… Tounge in cheek

Calvin £8 an hour
Blue aroow £8.50
Just examples, all on internet, not made up in some dingy bar on the hill talking about 1985.

Big Truck:
Boys who’ve been there yrs and the big earning decker runs but right few “long-termers” now work for DFDS on Sainsburys contract which tells a story in itself!!!

id have thought there would have been a queue of drivers lining up to beat that smarmy condescending arrogant mummys boy slowey to a pulp once he left nfl but alas it never happened…definitely the worst of th worst payers over here though he still wangles the work from dfds now along with macalonen who pays about the same mince.
every time im thinking my moneys dung,then I just look on this link to cheer myself up no end…same dung work,same dung firms,same dung agencies. jobcentreonline.com/JCOLFro … me=Drivers

Rutty555:

Big Truck:

I hate these forum things, always get people calling people liars, especially an irish thing: do i have to paste the f’in link. Hendersons are paying £14 an hour. Its a simple google search. Now in 1999 they may not of been. Today in 2016 they are.
Now im away to follow your posts and pick holes in them cuz i like to be billy internet king. Jeeze.
All good craic though… Tounge in cheek

Put up the link then!!!

If they’re paying £14hr why do they regularly have to look for drivers as that’s about £5.50hr over the “standard” dayshift rate about NI■■?

BTW,
I worked for them 2011/12 so not too long ago!!!

worked with a fair few irish lads doing channel hopping and used to fly home every other weekend they booked there flights in advance and got them dirt cheap

Rutty555:
I hate these forum things, always get people calling people liars, especially an irish thing: do i have to paste the f’in link. Hendersons are paying £14 an hour. Its a simple google search.

Here we go:
nijobfinder.co.uk/job/hender … esale-ltd/

Don’t see any mention of £14hr do you (who’s a liar now) :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:
I do see “AVERAGE” earnings in “2014” were £31k but you don’t think you get that for a 40hr week do you :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:
That is for 6days week1 and 5days week2.

I see the “famous” driver “bonus” scheme is still on the go so you can forget about £14hr right away :exclamation: :exclamation:
(on quiet weeks you get sent home often around 10/11am if all the bonus earning 2nd loads are gone, wages pure PISH that week. :cry: )

BTW,
£14x50hrs/ average week is £700 gross very VERY few Henderson Wholesale boys get
that EVERY week :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush:
The boys on the decker runs are best paid but gotta “serve your time” for a few yrs slogging your guts out on the smaller artics/rigids before you get on a reg better earning decker run, even then they are stressful as just look at the BUSY Spar petrol station forecourts about NI you gotta get that yoke reversed into :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

chester1:
worked with a fair few irish lads doing channel hopping and used to fly home every other weekend they booked there flights in advance and got them dirt cheap

More a “lifestyle” than a job best suited to a mad keen young fella (Tang).
Bit crap hanging about an airport on a usual flight delay all the while eating into your
66hrs off :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

24hrs reduced rest middle weekend shafted sitting about somewhere like Lymn Services must be some craic too :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Big Truck:

chester1:

Bit crap hanging about an airport on a usual flight delay all the while eating into your

24hrs reduced rest middle weekend shafted sitting about somewhere like Lymn Services must be some craic too :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Dear Big Truck
So the # 1 Boatchaser was driving till he passed away in 95 , most of his time was with Fridgelink, Andrews & Bond , Halal and J.J.Lowe and his final Irish firm Connelly,s . He ended his driving days pulling a tanker for B.E.T . He got his "handle when running lamb out of the South back in the early 70,s with the likes of Big Rig, Eirhaul and Dublin Meat and so the list goes on . LOL.

Boatchaser:

Big Truck:

chester1:

Dear Big Truck
So the # 1 Boatchaser was driving till he passed away in 95 , most of his time was with Fridgelink, Andrews & Bond , Halal and J.J.Lowe and his final Irish firm Connelly,s . He ended his driving days pulling a tanker for B.E.T . He got his "handle when running lamb out of the South back in the early 70,s with the likes of Big Rig, Eirhaul and Dublin Meat and so the list goes on . LOL.

:question: :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused:

Does anyone know who pays the best money for class 1 work? days/nights/northsouth/ cross channel?

toby1234abc:
Irish drivers park up at Basildon truckstop and fly home regular from Southend airport, it beats sat in the cab for 45 hours weekly rest or waiting for a load to go to Europe .

You sure about that Tobes as no mention of Ireland as a destination on the Southend Airport web site, but as it’s all part of the slime green empire maybe they divert one that’s going anywhere else :slight_smile:

I know it’s a month old !!