One for the Drivers Hours boffins

Yesterday morning after my shift to Manchester I got back around 5:30, late but still ok. Had done 2:30 driving since a 45 and 5:10 in total that shift. Was asked by the boss if I could grab the sprinter and head on down to Southwaite Svs to meet the Birmingham driver who will be out of Driving hours, swap over and drive it back for him, no problem anything to help my gaffer out. No my question is, Mr Birmingham trunk driver, where did he legally stand with his hours? He’d driven a 4:20 then a 4:26 before pulling in. Now he drive the work van 10mins back to the yard. Was he legal?

Yes he still had 14 mins left of driving time

Could he not do a 10 hour drive obviously after having his 45 min break.

surely, as he was driving a van back, it wouldn’t have mattered if he WAS out of driving time.

Unless he was at the 56 hour weekly or 90 hour fortnightly driving limit, he still had at least 14 mins driving time

kevin0410:
surely, as he was driving a van back, it wouldn’t have mattered if he WAS out of driving time.

Unless he was at the 56 hour weekly or 90 hour fortnightly driving limit, he still had at least 14 mins driving time

Yeah but he’s killed himself of 10 minutes in his first stint hasn’t he. So he’s only got 4 minutes left before his second 4.5 hour stint is up… So he would have to have a 45 minute break.
If its not a regular occurrence I would of gone for it :slight_smile:

If it’s only 10 minutes back to the yard and he has 14 minutes to play with why wouldn’t he drive the truck himself?

Just needs a 45 break and then use those last few minutes, as long as he doesn’t go over 9:00 driving he hasn’t used a 10 hour day.

Was the eject button broken ■■

:laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Since the van isn’t an in scope vehicle, he could drive it non stop till his 15 hrs are up, his time driving the van would count as other work.

C10HOO:
Yesterday morning after my shift to Manchester I got back around 5:30, late but still ok. Had done 2:30 driving since a 45 and 5:10 in total that shift. Was asked by the boss if I could grab the sprinter and head on down to Southwaite Svs to meet the Birmingham driver who will be out of Driving hours, swap over and drive it back for him, no problem anything to help my gaffer out. No my question is, Mr Birmingham trunk driver, where did he legally stand with his hours? He’d driven a 4:20 then a 4:26 before pulling in. Now he drive the work van 10mins back to the yard. Was he legal?

Not enough information given in the OP. Driving hours he is OK as the van is outside of drivers regs for DRIVING time. How much duty time did the guy have left available to use? My guess is that if the driver you were meeting did not have enough duty time left to take a break and then get back to the yard. By meeting him and swapping vehicles enough of the break time was saved to enable both vehicles, and their drivers, to get back to your depot. Your colleague should have booked other work for the time outside of the lorry till end of shift by manual entry either on the back of a paper chart or when next in a vehicle with a digital tacho.

He may of course had already used both of his extended driving days for the current week.

weeto:
Since the van isn’t an in scope vehicle, he could drive it non stop till his 15 hrs are up, his time driving the van would count as other work.

^^^^^ that answer

C10HOO:

10 mins away i would of driven to yard done a printout and written “over ran 4.5 hrs drive by x number of minutes” and forgotten about it, if stopped vosa would not bat an eyelid as you have noted what you have done and not tried to hide it, and unless its one of the new generation of tacho’s, they allow 15 mins over run to compensate for the thing running on for 2 mins every time you stop on the older generations :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Sorry just to clarify, he had 5 mins (4:26 and a (4:25) driving left of his second 4.5, if he took a 45min break he would be late back. By this point he had done 13 hours.

I still say because his WORKING time was still ok and the van isn’t covered under DRIVING time he’s good.

C10HOO:
Sorry just to clarify, he had 5 mins (4:26 and a (4:25) driving left of his second 4.5, if he took a 45min break he would be late back. By this point he had done 13 hours.

I still say because his WORKING time was still ok and the van isn’t covered under DRIVING time he’s good.

You’re absolutely right what he did was perfectly legal and in my opinion the situation was handles well by your boss :wink:

I would let your colleague and your boss worry about his hours , working alongside wannabe gestapo don’t make a good environment

Whirlwind:
I would let your colleague and your boss worry about his hours , working alongside wannabe gestapo don’t make a good environment

Well was mainly the t’other lad wanting to know but wouldn’t mind knowing myself for future reference