One for the driver trainers -

M1S J40 taking the 3rd exit for Dewsbury. You’re on your test. Which lane do you use coming up the ramp?

Streetview clicky.

I recommend looking carefully at all the road marking and angle of the exits before commenting. :bulb:

Left lane with right signal

The clue is in the markings
Left lane is turn left for 1st exit and road ahead arrow but there are only 3 exits to choose from and exit 2 (road directly ahead) is back onto the M1 so those arrows would not be for that
Therefore the 2 road ahead arrows are for the 3rd exit = Dewsbury

ROG:

Left lane is turn left for 1st exit and road ahead arrow but there are only 3 exits to choose from and exit 2 (road directly ahead) is back onto the M1 so those arrows would not be for that

A lot of people consider the 2 straight on arrows on the approach as being for the twin exit bear left to Wakefield (of course I am aware of the ‘left’ arrow on the approach as well). In the morning rush hour I’d estimate about 30% of the traffic takes the Wakefield exit from the right hand lane. :confused:

Rob K:

ROG:

A lot of people consider the 2 straight on arrows on the approach as being for the twin exit bear left to Wakefield (of course I am aware of the ‘left’ arrow on the approach as well). In the morning rush hour I’d estimate about 30% of the traffic takes the Wakefield exit from the right hand lane. :confused:

That 30% are taking one hell of a risk !!

Firstly I do not know this roundabout. Secondly I can not work street view on my phone and keep ending up in a bush :slight_smile:

I would have to agree with the left hand lane but I would not indicate right until i was through the lights where the middle lane then shows road ahead/ right turn.

This imo could also come down to examiner wording.

There is a roundabout in Peterborough like this. If the examiner says at the roundabout we will be turning right third exit (or words to that effect) then they expect you to treat it as a right turn right hand lane and cut back across. If he says road ahead third exit, then you would use the left hand lane.

If this road goes onto a dual carriage way on exit i would also teach exiting in the left lane to allow faster traffic to push on and the easiest way for that is to do the whole lot in the left lane as mentioned

Without the right signal being used on the approach it may not be clear which way the vehicle is going

The road ahead arrows are used for the right turn to stop foreigners (and anyone else) thinking they can turn right onto the roundabout

On test an examiner would expect a signal to be given on approach-it would also give warning to those numpties thinking of turning left from lane 2

I see your point Rog and agree but also knowing some examiners the signal in the left hand lane at that point is no signal. This would show you are passing first exit. You would then indicate right in the middle lane with the right arrow to show passing the second. You could argue that being in the left lane with no right hand markings with a right indicator on is a missleading signal.

I tend to alter which lane I use (in an artic) depending on the traffic/time of day. I find that the right hand lane works “best” then once across the divider with the Wakefield exit, keep a good eyeball on the n/s mirror and follow the natural path into 2 of 3 once past the first exit. I use this approach when it’s busy like morning rush hour. The rest of the (quieter) times I’ll approach in lane 1 with right indicator once I get up near the lights. Strangely I’ve been beeped several times doing that but using method 1 I’ve never had anyone come up my inside to turn right, so make of that what you will. :confused:

Ken you live round the corner from there, what do you do when going round there in your truck?

No signal means the driver is taking the road ahead which would be back onto the M1 = 2nd exit = 12 o’clock
Left signal for left = 1st exit = 9 o’clock
Right signal for right = 3rd exit = 3 o’clock

Without knowing this roundabout and just by looking at the street view, I think I would be in the right hand lane coming up the slip and then filtering over to the left once it straightens out near the exit as I would be at a decent speed by now.

Rog i agree again but looking at road markings that is the only option at that point