One for the CB radio users (if there are any)

I’m thinking of getting a CB for the wagon. I used to have one years ago (mid 90’s).

I’m not looking at spending hundreds, well, not to start with anyway!

I’d also like it to fit into one of the spare DIN slots in the truck.

Any suggestions on models etc?

cheers

Not bad for the money ebay.co.uk/itm/TTI-TCB900-CB … XQrC9SbMZ0

CBshack.co.uk do full starter packs CB/Aerial etc at reasonable money.
Shop in Lymm truckstop.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Biggest problem is where to put the antenna on a modern truck.

If it is a cb antenna Conor, then in the bin and invest, like you and I, in Ham radio gear. :smiley:

Start a new job in 2 weeks after 10 years on the agency, and my FT7800 is already earmarked to be put in the truck.

Ken. G8FSO

Conor:

That’s a good point. It’s going in a 65 plate Volvo FH. I was thinking of mounting the antenna high on the back of the cab.

Any other suggestions.

goshow:

Conor:

That’s a good point. It’s going in a 65 plate Volvo FH. I was thinking of mounting the antenna high on the back of the cab.

Any other suggestions.

Top of the roof would be better but then you have the issue of it hitting stuff. If I remember right Volvo have a mount point on the back of the cab already or at least they used to. Its not the most optimal position by far but anything built in the last half decade is crap for sticking antennas on nowadays for CB. Amateur radio is a different story as VHF/UHF frequencies you use for “local” contacts need a much smaller antenna just 50cm long and that can go on the roof without worrying about hitting overhead stuff.

It might be worth thinking about getting a ham license. The foundation license is easy to do. You would then be able to use the 145Mhz and 430MHz bands with 10W power which is good for 60/70 miles. Best is you can access repeaters which can cover a massive area - the one in Leeds does Scotch Corner to Sheffield and Hull to the top of Windy Hill for example. Also there is no swearing, no mike keying, no music playing on the whole, its not like Ch19 which is just a crapfest now, and it doesn’t suffer from electrical interference like CB does.

I think CB,s should be in all HGV,s
I have one and would not be without it,although you don’t get as many hello,s or how’s it going any more.
I think that’s down to the fact that you may see another Irish/english lorry coming out of say Italy,Germany and more than likely they are a Taliban. :cry:

Interesting.

I’ve just done a quick search for Volvo FH CB antenna mount and the volvo website shows that the newer FH’s already have a mount on the roof for antenna.

I’d often wondered why some FH’s have two aerials on the roof and other three or more. That should make things somewhat easier. The only issue would be a reduced size of twig. I don’t think a 5ft whip sitting on top of a 14ft cab would go down too well.

I’ve seen a few trucks with an antenna mounted on each mirror arm. How good is that setup?

Think you will find that you need to buy the twig from Vulvas. They have a unique fitting same as MB’s did on the mp3. It is just slightly cheaper than the unit!
The twin mirror set up is good as long as you balance them power wise. Especially good if on tins or ■■■■■■■ floors and you are in touch with someone behind you.

I can thoroughly recommend giving Thunderpole a shout. I spoke to Colin who couldn’t have been more helpful. I ended up going for a T1000, orbiter aerial, mirror arm mount with built in ground plane, an external speaker and a single DIN slot adapter. Whole lot came in at £140 delivered the next morning.

They do starter kits for a bit less, but they don’t include the ground plane aerial mount.

madmackem:
I’ve seen a few trucks with an antenna mounted on each mirror arm. How good is that setup?

It isn’t. Antennas need a groundplane and it wants to be under the antenna, not along side it a few inches away. Twin antennas need to be a specific distance apart and you also need a phasing harness so they work properly which I very doubt gets used. You can’t just use normal RG58 coax of a random length and a T piece to connect them both to the CB. It also alters the radiation pattern of the signal to one that favours to the left and right of the vehicle so it puts out a weaker signal to the front and back.

Hardly use the cb in our 8w anymore, just random ■■■■■■■■ on there. Most (tipper) firms have their own channel and when anyone comes on talking the “breaker, breaker” stuff they’re ignored.

Beau Nydel:
Think you will find that you need to buy the twig from Vulvas. They have a unique fitting same as MB’s did on the mp3. It is just slightly cheaper than the unit!
The twin mirror set up is good as long as you balance them power wise. Especially good if on tins or [zb] floors and you are in touch with someone behind you.

The boys at CBshack can sell you an aerial adapter for the mounts on the Volvo roof.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Pwyll:
I can thoroughly recommend giving Thunderpole a shout. I spoke to Colin who couldn’t have been more helpful. I ended up going for a T1000, orbiter aerial, mirror arm mount with built in ground plane, an external speaker and a single DIN slot adapter. Whole lot came in at £140 delivered the next morning.

They do starter kits for a bit less, but they don’t include the ground plane aerial mount.

Cheers. A few people had recommended Thunderpole. I had a chat with them yesterday and went for the Thunderpole T2000, external speaker, DIN mount and Trucker HD.

madmackem:

Didn’t that die out with fibreglass cabs? Anyone remember those mirror mounts with the “ground plane” mini antenna poking downwards from the bracket? They were crap, made no difference whatsoever, but did get broken easily on trees and bushes.
You don’t even get the coffin dodgers on the high channels anymore, broadcasting from their sheds, such interesting discussions as the weather and what ailments they’re suffering from.
■■■■ sharing over the cb does still continue on occasions though. :blush: :laughing:

Like Conor says go for the Foundation Ham Licence use the 2mtr and 70cms band or get a radio that covers all or most bands fm -am- ssb -lsb far more scope than limited CB
The only draw back is if your double shifted and your oppo has a habit of fiddling about, so you might find it beneficial to be able to take it out at the end of your shift
Contact your local ham club or look on the RSGB website for info about the Foundation Licence.

What do these “hams” find to talk about? It must be like ringing up a stranger and deciding to talk about the weather or diy.

lolipop:
Contact your local ham club or look on the RSGB website for info about the Foundation Licence.

Funnily enough, iirc, there is a club in Grimsby.

Ken.