One for the accountants - parking fees (limpers)

Can someone clarify the position regarding reimbursement of parking fees, as a limper the company who I’m assigned to pay me via the agency, night out allowance and meal allowance a total of £35 per n/o (£25+£10). They also have snap parking but should I ever end up at a site where snap isn’t accepted and I end up inadvertently paying for parking at moto WB etc, which so far hasn’t happened, they say they cannot refund my parking expenses via the agency as it would be deemed illegal in the eyes of the taxman to pay 2 amounts of expenses to me for the same shift.
On a recent trip to Scotland I headed up towards Stonehaven and parked at Stracathro around 6 miles for the delivery and nearest when it came to driving hours both for getting there and ensuring that I was able to get back the next day. The nearest snap parking was 198 miles away! So would never have gotten there and back with 1 night out if I’d stop at a snap site.
But it’s taken me 3 weeks to get the £5 back I paid for parking, then it was done in such a way that I was paid something like 0.75hrs extra of a shift, but this was taxed as part of my income and not as a non tax expense. Is there any way parking fees can be refunded as expenses via agency payroll on top of paying me night out allowance etc?

The agency is your employer, not the company. At every agency I’ve driven for for the last 25 years you submit your parking expenses and things like Humber Bridge tollls if you have any to the agency writing them on the agency timesheet and attaching any receipts to the timesheet. The agency then pay you back the parking/tolls as non-taxable expenses and charge the client. It is not illegal to pay parking on top of night out money and any meal allowances, that’s complete rubbish.

Conor:
The agency is your employer, not the company. At every agency I’ve driven for for the last 25 years you submit your parking expenses and things like Humber Bridge tollls if you have any to the agency writing them on the agency timesheet and attaching any receipts to the timesheet. The agency then pay you back the parking/tolls as non-taxable expenses and charge the client. It is not illegal to pay parking on top of night out money and any meal allowances, that’s complete rubbish.

Night-out money is usually unsupported by receipts whereas parking would always have one. HMRC treat receipted and unsupported expenses differently so a driver could well claim £30 for their NO and also claim for a collection of parking fees, tolls, truck wash, fuel etc on top without a problem.

As above -
You work to the agency - they are your employer .
Submit your timesheets and expenses to them for reimbursment . Its up to them to sort it out with whoever/ wherever they send you to work .

Parking receipts have always been given to the client and stapled to the timesheet, and photos of the receipts are emailed to the agency to give proof to them.
I suspect the manager maybe misinformed but will take a lot of convincing they are wrong.
When I asked the client about load security, fuel theft etc when parked in lay-bys I was met with a blank stare, though some revulsion was expressed by 2 of the Office staff eating their lunch when I mentioned taking a dump in a carrier bag, & toilet facilities (or lack of them) in lay-bys.

I have one more night out this week (tomorrow) Embra and back Friday, then I’m going on holiday Sunday night, taking the motorcycle over to N.Spain landing in Bilbao Tuesday am & crossing the Pyrenees

Wouldn’t parking come under “Company billable expenses”?

NO money would come under “expenses”.

To be fair Peirre, don’t work for that customer/haulage company via the agency any more. Just refuse to go there because it’s a big hassle to get your expenses back.

When ever I worked for an agency I ask the haulier where they want me to park and if parking is paid for. If I can’t park somewhere with facilities near by, I will be stopping before have a shower, get food etc. and carry on. Of course this stop will be paid and not show as break etc.

I was always reimbursed for parking etc. so far.

If they want us to park at snap sites then so be it, Thursday night after load was turn away due to late arrival at Newbridge I drove 22 miles to the nearest snap site at Edinburgh (Portobello), then drove 22 miles back the next morning to re-deliver the load.
I would’ve camped outside the customers premises but some of the nomadic caravan community had moved onto the ind estate,

You must be one of the few that have paided at Stracathro. There’s no many that does.