One for Pete or any other trainer, perhaps?

There’s a post on here linking to a 30min video of some bloke driving a truck, nice music, but it’s 30mins of your life gone that you’ll never get back !

Why doesn’t someone record an in cab video experience of a trainer & pupil over a 5 day course & compress it down to a 15-30min video?

If it was done professionally I reckon it’d cost £10’s of 1000’s, but it needn’t cost more than a couple of Go Pro camera’s really.

This bit might physically hurt a small businessman, but you then stick it up on Youtube & charge nothing, earn nothing for your efforts.

Great advert for the business & really helpful to wanabee’s.

I won’t post any links, but a retired motorcycle road racer did something similar, giving hints, tips & techniques to use when riding at trackdays on popular UK circuits. Cost him nowt & he earn’t nowt for doing it, but his race school is now flourishing !

I’m playing devil’s advocate here and I’m going to argue against it mainly cos I’m an old fashioned technophobe.

1. Rather than watching a film clip, anyone with a valid provisional licence can book an assessment drive FOC and get the experience for themselves.

2. Watching a film of someone else being trained may or may not be helpful. There are many variations in the training and the methods used depending on the candidate’s current knowledge/experience, aptitute, attitude, learning rate etc etc. So watching this could be totally misleading. (A similar argument applies to training 2:1 IMO but that’s another subject).

But I understand the attraction of such a film and, if enough people respond to say this is what they want, I’ll get the younger members of staff to make it happen.

It’s a bit like ■■■■, I guess. Better to have the experience yourself than watch others!!!

Pete :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I’m playing devil’s advocate here and I’m going to argue against it mainly cos I’m an old fashioned technophobe.

1. Rather than watching a film clip, anyone with a valid provisional licence can book an assessment drive FOC and get the experience for themselves.

Don’t knock yourself with the technophobe label, you come across very well on this forum & that goes a long way to being almost young.

1. Most learners are steered towards their decision whilst browsing the net, why not give 'em an interesting video to watch while they’re doing it?

Peter Smythe:
2. Watching a film of someone else being trained may or may not be helpful. There are many variations in the training and the methods used depending on the candidate’s current knowledge/experience, aptitute, attitude, learning rate etc etc. So watching this could be totally misleading. (A similar argument applies to training 2:1 IMO but that’s another subject).

The video need only cover the standard & basic ‘syllabus’ that is required of every learner. Done the right way, it would go a long way towards helping them prepare for the practical aspects of learning to drive an LGV.

For example, how many folk shun learning to drive a lorry because they obviously cannot reverse a lorry because they cannot reverse a car with any confidence?

Peter Smythe:
But I understand the attraction of such a film and, if enough people respond to say this is what they want, I’ll get the younger members of staff to make it happen.

It’s a bit like ■■■■, I guess. Better to have the experience yourself than watch others!!!

Pete :laughing:

Put it to the younger staff anyways, I reckon it could potentially skim £1000’s off your advertising budget.

I appreciate that you don’t want future customers to make a decision without a chance of you talking in person with them, I know of many business’s that treat the internet this way & they’re doing all right. But you have to move with the times, & I think the time is right for small business’s to invest in informational media that promotes their industry as a whole, not necessarily their particular business within that industry.

I’d love to watch a free, Youtube video about the first few days of a new experience before I committed to try it for real !

I imagine the other Pete would love the challenge of creating a professional taster video.

My services … You couldn’t afford them lol ( there’s childcare to think of :smiley: )

I have to say as an LGV learner who has just spent £2400 on my cat C and C+E that I was using every tool in the box during my training. When I wasn’t out with the training school actually driving I was reading up and searching websites for more info and tips, including on this forum (especially ROG’s link in his signature).

I struggled with the reverse and I was confident that there would be some good examples on youtube to use as a guide to try and understand what was happening to the truck during the manouvre. I have to say I was dissapointed, there were some videos of people reversing but without commentary.

When I did my advanced motorcycle riding with the IAM there are many advanced motorcycle instructors who have various footage uploaded from helmet cams and bike mounted cams. I was expecting it to be the same for LGV instructors but found very few.

I would say that there is definately room for some quality footage with commentary from driving schools, if the school has a facebook fage the footage can be shared on there and obviously any body else who shares it is spreading the word for your driving school. Free advertising to your target market.

Thats my opinion anyway, people learn differently using various inputs, wether that be books, videos, being told or actually doing. :smiley:

If it is done then it would need 3 cameras - forward and one for each mirror - then for all three to be shown in unison on the video in their respective places

ROG:
If it is done then it would need 3 cameras - forward and one for each mirror - then for all three to be shown in unison on the video in their respective places

Am sure there’s a camera that can be clipped to a pair of glasses for a driver’s-eye-view. May be worth investigating.

Night Spirit:
I have to say as an LGV learner who has just spent £2400 on my cat C and C+E that I was using every tool in the box during my training. When I wasn’t out with the training school actually driving I was reading up and searching websites for more info and tips, including on this forum (especially ROG’s link in his signature).
:smiley:

What you have to be careful with is not to over complicate matters. Once you have started your training you shouldn’t need to source other material as an aid. A good instructor will be able to answer any of your concerns.

Paul

What you have to be careful with is not to over complicate matters. Once you have started your training you shouldn’t need to source other material as an aid. A good instructor will be able to answer any of your concerns.

I agree 100%. But, if I’ve understood correctly, this is aimed at folk that are thinking about going for training - rather than those who are already in training. And I can see a value in that.

So I would like anyone who has got the gear/knowhow to contact me; there could be a discounted course for a lucky soul if we can get it all together.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I agree 100%. But, if I’ve understood correctly, this is aimed at folk that are thinking about going for training - rather than those who are already in training. And I can see a value in that.

So I would like anyone who has got the gear/knowhow to contact me; there could be a discounted course for a lucky soul if we can get it all together.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Exactly, nail hit firmly on head. A 15-30min video setting out the syllabus & what to expect. Not too detailed but not too brief either.

I don’t think offering a discounted course would work, why not ask about & see if any local colleges have a film makers course running?

I don’t need a course. But I know how to set up the videos.

Not the right area of the country. And just a few things keeping me busy these days. Well one…

Shame really.

This is a ridiculous thread. Trainers do what they do best, that’s train. It’s not Hollywood or Spielberg. Don’t get caught up Pete and the other trainers.

A video showing how to drive round Mansfield / Chelmsford / anywhere could never work.

Take the same roundabout 10 times each time will be different.

Perhaps a video for Mod 4 would work.

OP bad idea why not spend a day doing what we do

LGVTrainer:
A video showing how to drive round Mansfield / Chelmsford / anywhere could never work.

Take the same roundabout 10 times each time will be different.

Perhaps a video for Mod 4 would work.

OP bad idea why not spend a day doing what we do

Maybe there is room for “Mansfield Roundabout The Return” the sequil to “Mansfield Roundabout”

Or even a mini series!!! :smiling_imp:

Off corse it won’t be as good as the book!!

That would only be any good if the trucks had Green Livery :wink: