One for Dave, Diesel Dave

Whilst doing my induction at ND, which I must say although quite repetitive and ‘commonsensical’ I’m very much enjoying, we had to do an adr awareness topic/discussion as we may be carrying some adr items but out of scope, it came up the question of if someone is a passenger/double man [but not in the sense they will drive vehicle i.e will just be directing, paperwork admin etc] does the second person have to have a full adr license, or do they only require a introduction/awareness of adr?

Not that it is likely to come up during the course of work where I’d have to assist an adr qualified driver who would be driving in scope by sitting in the passenger seat, but the guy teaching us was unsure whether the second person would have to have the full adr license, but said the company err on the side of caution and if the need arose would only send someone with an adr license out as a second man to make sure they stay within rules.

Sorry if this sounds a bit garbled but hope you can understand the question i’m trying to put across.

Cheers

Jon

garnerlives:
Whilst doing my induction at ND, which I must say although quite repetitive and ‘commonsensical’ I’m very much enjoying, we had to do an adr awareness topic/discussion as we may be carrying some adr items but out of scope, it came up the question of if someone is a passenger/double man [but not in the sense they will drive vehicle i.e will just be directing, paperwork admin etc] does the second person have to have a full adr license, or do they only require a introduction/awareness of adr?

Not that it is likely to come up during the course of work where I’d have to assist an adr qualified driver who would be driving in scope by sitting in the passenger seat, but the guy teaching us was unsure whether the second person would have to have the full adr license, but said the company err on the side of caution and if the need arose would only send someone with an adr license out as a second man to make sure they stay within rules.

Sorry if this sounds a bit garbled but hope you can understand the question i’m trying to put across.

Cheers

Jon

i may of mis-read your question, so i my answers are wrong just ignore me, everyone else does :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

If i remember correctly the person behind the wheel has to have the ADR licence and if a passenger is carried i think they need to have some sort of ADR training as didnt someone on here get pulled by VOSA and they discovered the passanger had no ADR training full stop :question:

garnerlives:
Whilst doing my induction at ND, which I must say although quite repetitive and ‘commonsensical’ I’m very much enjoying, we had to do an it came up the question of if someone is a passenger/double man [but not in the sense they will drive vehicle i.e will just be directing, paperwork admin etc] does the second person have to have a full adr license, or do they only require a introduction/awareness of adr?

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,
The law is very clear on this point.
It is the DRIVER who needs an ADR certificate when driving an ‘in scope’ load.
All a passenger needs is authority/permission from the vehicle owner to be on board and a general ‘awareness’ of ADR, which is documented. He/she doesn’t need a certificate of any kind with them.

So, whether the load is ‘in scope’ will only affect the DRIVER.

Many folks think (wrongly) that it’s the same as being able to supervise, but that concept only applies to giving driving tuition, NOT to ADR.

“…the company err on the side of caution and if the need arose would only send someone with an adr license out as a second man to make sure they stay within rules”

That’s saying that they know the rule, but it’s not quite correct in law.
TBF, using an ADR trained driver in that way more than meets the requirement for the passenger to have an ‘awareness’ though, so that’s probably where they’re getting mixed-up. :wink:

Just to be clear, there isn’t the slightest chance that a ‘double-man’ team could get away with one ADR licence between them if both are to drive the vehicle when it’s ‘in scope.’
If the vehicle is carrying dangerous goods that aren’t ‘in scope’ and there are two people on board, then both would only require a documented ‘awareness.’

BTW, the guy who’s teaching you this “adr awareness topic/discussion as we may be carrying some adr items but out of scope,” should really know this as it’s fairly basic. :unamused:

Cheers Dave, greatly appreciated hope you don’t get any more heads up shouts re this topic :wink:

pecjam23:
If i remember correctly the person behind the wheel has to have the ADR licence and if a passenger is carried i think they need to have some sort of ADR training as didnt someone on here get pulled by VOSA and they discovered the passanger had no ADR training full stop :question:

Hi pecjam23, You’re not wrong mate. :smiley:
I only added one word to make it spot-on though.
If VOSA did discover what you say happened, then that’s an offence for sure, but I’ve no idea as to what they might do about it, maybe just a warning…

pecjam23:
i may of mis-read your question, so i my answers are wrong just ignore me, everyone else does :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t think you misread it at all mate. :wink: :grimacing: