On the milk for unigate

In its day one of Wincantons trunking units and would have been named after a River,oil units were named differently at Aldermeads there was an ex-oil unit called Tenacious.Wincanton Garages were agents for ERF and on the occasion of a recall Wood Lane had to surrender their one ERF much to their dislike,refusing to return with the BigJ we had allocated them

SIDECARPAT:
In its day one of Wincantons trunking units and would have been named after a River,oil units were named differently at Aldermeads there was an ex-oil unit called Tenacious.Wincanton Garages were agents for ERF and on the occasion of a recall Wood Lane had to surrender their one ERF much to their dislike,refusing to return with the BigJ we had allocated them

Ha. … I was one of those wood lane drivers…I’ve been lumbered with the odd mandator as well. that motor in the picture was ex oil…fleet name “beaufort”

SIDECARPAT:

Slightly off-topic - their units on the Midland Link for Tate and Lyle operating out of Willenhall in the 1980s were named after railway locomotives. I well remember the laugh we had one night when one of their drivers came into Silvertown complaining bitterly that his new Foden ‘has been named after a bloody duck!’
It was called Mallard!

Steve

they used to have “tinkerbell”. and tweedle dee and tweedle dum! !

jimcab:
they used to have “tinkerbell”. and tweedle dee and tweedle dum! !

another on the milk

Southampton based FORD…the only one. KPO89J

gazzer:
Southampton based FORD…the only one. KPO89J

did you work out of Southampton dairy… I went there a few times, pulling milk out for London (wood lane)

Hi jimcab: No I worked as a fitter at the Stratton Road workshop in Shirley, Southampton. We maintained the fleet from Broadlands Road milk processing plant.

That FORD had just been refurbed at our workshops, chassis mechanical/body and then paint. It had come from Surrey where it was abused rotten. I added the GXL badge to the front as I thought it looked the muttz nutz!

gazza…I think Stratton road helped me one day…my starter jammed on the IOW ferry…air pressure dropped so couldn’t jump start…they sent out a TK unit to pump air into my GUY unit…sorted

The Sudden Accident came to us for painting, not for use in our fleet.

gazza. …I like the look of the KM next to it… got my class 1 through unigate, took my test in one of those…we had about 35 of those at wood lane

My dad worked at uttoxeter for years,got some pics somewhere

cliff. …I loaded out of Uttoxeter a few times…did it end up Milk Marketing Board ?

Yes it did,closed in 1985

I took my test at Farnham I think. Me and a guy called Jim from Bournemouth workshops were put up in a hotel just outside Guildford for 2 weeks. Frank was the tutor in an all white TK with a sloping trailer he used for vehicle recovery/movements. Unigate had their own authuorised driving examiner (class b)…Brian (Billy) Cotton too.
We only had 1 KM for a special job, the rest were TK’s except for the D1000 Ford.
We saw many a KM farm collection rigid tank with their 12x2v fork lift lift type batteries hung on the side of the chassis in Unigate colours but Wincanton owned. Occasional Wincanton Guy on the oil from Fawley if emergency repairs were required.

Hello gazza, we had our own instructor Dave Marr…he covered all the London dairies using a “G” reg KM and a 22 foot flat trailer…I had 7 full days training followed by the test at Yeading in middlesex.

I remember these Scammells trundling down the road in my youth. They looked very old fashioned even then. Robert

8619192875_c0e2965aba_b.jpg