On the limiter

You want me to click it back a couple? NO! Stay behind me. Overtaking explained scientifically youtube.com/watch?v=7EA9si56y-0

Thought I would reply. This kind of thing of course makes lorry drivers look very bad. In my opinion both are at fault. It was clear how long it was going to take to get past, so one or the other should take action at very little personal cost in terms of time to either. The worst of it is that you see this kind of thing and then the overtaking lorry pulls off at the next exit.

Lorry driver in the LHL is absolutely in the wrong.

I’ve driven fast and slow lorries. I’m done limping for Tesco. And I’ve done work for firms which have special wheels for the tacho callibration.

When I’m slower even if a little bit I’ll put the slow pedal on and let someone come past. If I’m faster I’m going past anyway - but I’ll appreciate it if someone helps me.

A good driver slows down and flashes in. If someone moves over and lets me in on a slip road I immediately slow down and let them in. I’ll do the thumbs up and flash them in enthusiastically. Doesn’t matter if it’s an Irish fridge flying, or a Tesco plobber. If I want to go past and I can I’ll do it after.

80% of drivers do the same as me. We try and help each other out. 15% do nothing. And 5% go out of their way to be difficult. But the majority make life easier for each other.

: Yep 6 and 2 3s who is to blame.
Overtaker for not judging his speed.
, or
‘Overtakee’ (is that even a word :smiley: ) for taking the ‘■■■■ him, I’m doing nothing wrong’ stance, and keeping him out.
And so the elephant race/■■■■■■■ contest between 2 prize dicks, begin. :unamused:

I’ll.always knock it back a couple of clicks, and let them in …(because I ain’t a self righteous 2hat! :unamused: ) .
Unless we are both climbing and fully freighted then it’s up to the overtaker to re.act. and edge back in behind I would say.

I had a bit of a slug race fest yesterday on the M1 SB between the A57 and EMA, I’m pulling a decker all in at 30T and the other guy in a 6 wheeler with a portacabin on. He’s flat to the mat and gaining a wheel length every half mile, so I’d knock off a notch or two and let him past. Despite my efforts to let him get ahead, every downhill I’d catch him back up and pass & every uphill I came too I’d drop 5mph and he’d pass me

peirre:
I had a bit of a slug race fest yesterday on the M1 SB between the A57 and EMA, I’m pulling a decker all in at 30T and the other guy in a 6 wheeler with a portacabin on. He’s flat to the mat and gaining a wheel length every half mile, so I’d knock off a notch or two and let him past. Despite my efforts to let him get ahead, every downhill I’d catch him back up and pass & every uphill I came too I’d drop 5mph and he’d pass me

I wouldn’t have bothered repassing him mate tbh, normal service has resumed traffic wise so all you’re doing by passing him is arriving at the next bottleneck 50 feet further ahead.

I think along with most, if a lorry has gained on me and going for the overtake, I’ll kill the cruise or knock it back a few then let him in, no point having an elephant race for all of a couple of seconds to let someone in. Likewise if I end up just behind a lorry by I’m only .3km faster than them I’ll just knock back a click and stay in lane, unless it’s middle of the night on the motorway so I’m not going to ■■■■ anyone off. It’s little things like this that form opinions of the general public, and these 2 would be labelled tossers by the 50 cars currently held up

Wouldn’t normally reply to a post on this subject, as it seems to be the norm nowadays and when it happens , I tend to shake my head and think what a pillock.
I don’t usually run on the limiter, set cc around 54.4 to keep a couple of clicks spare.
It reminds me of an event that happened a couple of weeks ago.
I was joining the M4 and due to road works there was a 50 mph limit and lanes 2 +3 = 7ft width restriction
Set cc to 49.1 and after I mile or so caught up with a vehicle so eased off a bit
Any way fast forward to the end of road works and back to national speed limit, I thought matey in front will speed up so no need to try and overtake straight away, sit behind for a while but after about half a mile he is still plodding along until I go to over take and when we get cab to cab he decides to open it up a bit.
Set mine to 55.9 (limiter) still side by side so I slowed down and pulled back in behind him, could of went on for a while if I hadnt

Boiled my pish that much that I will say Mr Fly by nite Daf rigid driver, you are a ■■■■ of the highest order.

Suedehead:
Wouldn’t normally reply to a post on this subject, as it seems to be the norm nowadays and when it happens , I tend to shake my head and think what a pillock.
I don’t usually run on the limiter, set cc around 54.4 to keep a couple of clicks spare.
It reminds me of an event that happened a couple of weeks ago.
I was joining the M4 and due to road works there was a 50 mph limit and lanes 2 +3 = 7ft width restriction
Set cc to 49.1 and after I mile or so caught up with a vehicle so eased off a bit
Any way fast forward to the end of road works and back to national speed limit, I thought matey in front will speed up so no need to try and overtake straight away, sit behind for a while but after about half a mile he is still plodding along until I go to over take and when we get cab to cab he decides to open it up a bit.
Set mine to 55.9 (limiter) still side by side so I slowed down and pulled back in behind him, could of went on for a while if I hadnt

Boiled my pish that much that I will say Mr Fly by nite Daf rigid driver, you are a [zb] of the highest order.

I run on my limiter, with 90km showing, about 87 in reality.
If I’m catching someone up at the 0.3kmh kinda thing, I’ll ease off and keep a decent gap between us.
If I’m light and they’re heavy, I’ll go for it on the next decent climb.
If someone is creaping past me I’ll knock a km or 2 off until they’re past, unless I’m struggling to keep my speed on a hill.
As for those that do that trick like your Fly by Nite driver, that boils my pish too. To be fair, it’s very rare for a wagon driver to do it. But car drivers seem to do it frequently and not just old biffers in a little bugmobile either.

Trucking sideways:
I think along with most, if a lorry has gained on me and going for the overtake, I’ll kill the cruise or knock it back a few then let him in, no point having an elephant race for all of a couple of seconds to let someone in. Likewise if I end up just behind a lorry by I’m only .3km faster than them I’ll just knock back a click and stay in lane, unless it’s middle of the night on the motorway so I’m not going to ■■■■ anyone off. It’s little things like this that form opinions of the general public, and these 2 would be labelled tossers by the 50 cars currently held up

Agree with you fully. Ease of let em past, if I catch em up later will try and go past or drop back if needed no sweat. Can’t be arsed to get wound up and as you say with 50 cars behind we are more noticeable so would rather show a level of professionalism/ calm than pig headedness.
Saying that completely understand why some people get wound up especially if it’s end of a long six day shift, but having a bad day doesn’t cut it with the plod of the worst happens.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

As much as I kept easing off to allow him to get past, he somehow managed to ease off himself thus maintaining the status quo, luckily it was 5-6am and the M1 was relatively quiet. Some of his moves pulling back into lane 1 where somewhat too close to the other trucks which concerned me, as he’d ease off a couple of clicks as soon as he pulled in front of the truck he’d passed which caused the trucks behind him to pull out. So I made the decision to get out of the way and put a little more distance between us.

^^^^ i get that and I understand your point completely. I find another thing to factor in nowadays is the age and the marque of the lorry I’m behind with regards to terrain mapping. My current MAN doesn’t have it but the Merc before did, so if the driver isn’t on the ball and ready to intervene manually you can find them easily dropping 4 or 5 kph prior to descending a hill. Just one more thing to factor in.

the maoster:
^^^^ i get that and I understand your point completely. I find another thing to factor in nowadays is the age and the marque of the lorry I’m behind with regards to terrain mapping. My current MAN doesn’t have it but the Merc before did, so if the driver isn’t on the ball and ready to intervene manually you can find them easily dropping 4 or 5 kph prior to descending a hill. Just one more thing to factor in.

Exactly so.
Some posts on here say “my truck speeded up” etc.
It is the driver not the truck, not the cruise control, not any computer, that is responsible for the speed.

the maoster:

I’m aware that some of the trucks on the fleet at another depot has terrain mapping, and with the imminent arrival of the new trucks up here I’m hoping that they don’t have it. As we’ve got a keltruck workshop next to the yard, there’s 30+ Scania’s from the Doncaster depot that have been taken off the fleet sat in the yard while they sort the tyres etc, so it looks like Doncaster are getting the new ones first, and the 15 we have will be the last

another reason to be working for some of the tangs,or scottish hooligans.
sitting between 62 and 65 mph whilst showing 56 on the head removes all sorts of elephant racing scenarios before they start.
its only when you come across wazzocks like the vid that tend to irritate,though depending on the location an quick squirt into lane 3 does the damage. :slight_smile:

Franglais:

the maoster:

Exactly so.
Some posts on here say “my truck speeded up” etc.
It is the driver not the truck, not the cruise control, not any computer, that is responsible for the speed.

Reminds me of my first ever drive in a lorry with Adaptive CC. It was a little Daf 7.5 tonner and of course I had to have a little play with the system. The way it kept “locked on” to the vehicle in front, matching its speed even in moderate traffic on the M6 was very impressive (although hardly relaxing, as I hovered my right foot over the brake pedal all the time).

Encouraged, I let the system control my speed on a stretch of dual carriageway. It dutifully matched the speed of the lorry in front, slowing and accelerating as needed. Then we came to a roundabout, where the lorry in front took the first exit and I had a major twitch of the sphincter as the little Daf accelerated as the road ahead was now empty…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The first lorry I drove with cruise control was an F7 with a hand throttle
Bit of a fanny if you (I) forgot to disengage it on one or more occasions :blush: