On the limiter,come hail,rain or [zb]

So I was coming up the M6 last night by Shap,you know where that scarecrow with the hiviz is,and the wind was that bad,I was down to 35mph and it really felt like I was going to be blown over.I was surprised the amount of trucks going past on the limiter,high siders too.I wondered ,how much difference does it make to reduce speed?
And also,what it must feel like,I was terrified at the time.Do you know anyone its happened to?

By doing 35mph you’re exposed to the high winds for a longer period of time. Trucks get blown over at a stand still so speed makes no difference in that regard. But doing 35mph will hurt less than if you go over at 56mph.

My motto is flat out, get the ■■■■ out of dodge.

Dafproblems:
By doing 35mph you’re exposed to the high winds for a longer period of time. Trucks get blown over at a stand still so speed makes no difference in that regard. But doing 35mph will hurt less than if you go over at 56mph.

My motto is flat out, get the [zb] out of dodge.

Yep, I was told the same years ago by an old hand.
I asked his advice when we were pulling max volume single axle step frame box van foam carriers…■■■■ awful things they were in the winds.
From that day to this I have gone flat out in high winds, with every trailer, with no probs…(so far. :smiley: )
I dont know if it is scientifically or aerodynamically accurate or not, but it works for me.

Yet another…

Reason to drive fridges. Loaded or empty made no difference.

On the agency in Yorkshire, the phone didn’t stop when high winds were forecast. All the full-time high sider drivers suddenly went sick. I’ve never felt there was a skill you could use to ensure you remained upright. It’s the luck of the draw. Then there’s the never ending argument about tying your curtains back. I always did on WH Malcom’s but, lots of drivers say you can lose the roof that way. All I can say is mine stayed on every time I did it.

Been out all week in an 11’9" DAF LF with a double sleeper cab and 24ft box body. Last night trying to sleep was ‘interesting’. Driving it, was just a case of backing off from the usual 56 to about 50-53, sometimes lower, concentrating and hanging on, I guess being almost empty didn’t help.

I guess some of the double deckers that passed me might have been loaded with only the lower deck? Or just wanted to get home quicker than I did.

That
s when you go looking for good load of plate steel. See if you can turn that over yer ■■■■■■■■

peterm:
That
s when you go looking for good load of plate steel. See if you can turn that over yer [zb].

Spot on mate. I once brought a load of 75x75x12metre billet from Newie :laughing: , to Brisvegas. A neat floor load, chuck it on, stand the gates up and two chains over it. Full noise all the way, including Burringbah and Bulledelah. :smiling_imp:
At a casual glance, the trailer looked empty.

My nice 20ft container caused me no troubles yesterday , only the place I was supposed to get a lift of had closed due to winds

robroy:

Dafproblems:

My motto is flat out, get the [zb] out of dodge.

Yep, I was told the same years ago by an old hand.
I asked his advice when we were pulling max volume single axle step frame box van foam carriers…[zb] awful things they were in the winds.
From that day to this I have gone flat out in high winds, with every trailer, with no probs…(so far. :smiley: )
I dont know if it is scientifically or aerodynamically accurate or not, but it works for me.

Instinctively it seems sensible that higher speeds would be better, but the science contradicts instinct.

This guy seems to understand the science of it, but even if you make it past page 1, the maths on page 2 will stop you in your tracks :open_mouth: On the face of it, it’s just dealing with cars, but high-sided vehicles are only going to be more susceptible, not less so.
roperld.com/personal/rollovers.pdf

Seems to me,
The air blowing onto the side of a vehicle should be resolved as a vector at 90deg to the side of it. That is the only part relevant to being blown over.

If travelling directly into or away from a wind then that component would be zero. Vehicle speed is not relevant to the 90deg component.
If travelling at exactly 90deg to the wind vehicle speed is again irrelevant. The 90deg component remains constant.

However if the wind is approaching from an angle (let`s imagine 45deg for ease)n then if the vehicle is driving with the wind at 45deg fro the front quarter, increasing vehicle speed will increase the 90deg component, and increase the rollover risk.
But if the wind is coming from the rear quarter then increasing the vehicle speed will decrease the 90deg component, and thus decrease rollover risk.

Changing vehicle speed will likely (wind rarely comes exactly from front/rear or exactly at 90deg) rollover risk.
It is 50/50 whether it increases or decreases the risk.
Just a thought.

Moderator alert! Franglais’s account has been hacked by CF!

i just think of it as there used to be sailing ships for a reason granted much more sail area there is alot of power in the wind like when you go past another vehicle and get a twitch on as you come past as the wind hits full on same going past bridge towers the pressure slacks off then comes back with a thump

Zac_A:
Moderator alert! Franglais’s account has been hacked by CF!

:smiley:
Look out again! Perpetual motion posts approaching…

Notimetoulouse:
i just think of it as there used to be sailing ships for a reason granted much more sail area there is alot of power in the wind like when you go past another vehicle and get a twitch on as you come past as the wind hits full on same going past bridge towers the pressure slacks off then comes back with a thump

What I like is that sailing ships can travel faster than the wind that is blowing them.

Franglais:
What I like is that sailing ships can travel faster than the wind that is blowing them.

Even better is that they can travel into the wind! How’s that for counter-intuitive?

Zac_A:

Franglais:

Even better is that they can travel into the wind! How’s that for counter-intuitive?

Absolutely. :smiley:

I know at the Winchester Science Centre that kids can have a great time playing with wind machines and model boats/skates.
If they can barge the adults out of the way.

Zac_A:

Franglais:

Only if the person at the helm has the slightest idea what he/she is doing!

My one and only foray on a windsurfer happened on the Mohnesee (think Dambusters) in Germany; I set off with a gale force wind at my back and streaked across at an estimated 800 mph, hit the far bank and could not make it go back across despite others managing with apparent ease :imp: . It’s a bloody long trudge around the shoreline dragging a sodding great board and sail I’ll tell you.

Yes indeed: You’ve never truly been at the mercy of the elements until you’ve ventured onto (or under) the water in conditions less settled than “millpond”.

Zac_A:

Franglais:

It’s important not to forget the difference between “close hauled” and “keel hauled” though.

Franglais:
Seems to me,
The air blowing onto the side of a vehicle should be resolved as a vector at 90deg to the side of it. That is the only part relevant to being blown over.

If travelling directly into or away from a wind then that component would be zero. Vehicle speed is not relevant to the 90deg component.
If travelling at exactly 90deg to the wind vehicle speed is again irrelevant. The 90deg component remains constant.

However if the wind is approaching from an angle (let`s imagine 45deg for ease)n then if the vehicle is driving with the wind at 45deg fro the front quarter, increasing vehicle speed will increase the 90deg component, and increase the rollover risk.
But if the wind is coming from the rear quarter then increasing the vehicle speed will decrease the 90deg component, and thus decrease rollover risk.

Changing vehicle speed will likely (wind rarely comes exactly from front/rear or exactly at 90deg) rollover risk.
It is 50/50 whether it increases or decreases the risk.
Just a thought.

What a load of miss mash garbage, probably got it of Wikipedia
There are certain areas where you can’t do what some are saying like head to the wind, pockets of motorways that have a revine and no cover,
It’s all about your own nerves and confidence as to what you’re comfortable with

i reckon those wind deflectors on the back side of cabs could be simply rigged up to hinge outwardly and catch wind in the right conditions