On my own tomorrow...

Started new job on Monday. Done 3 days with a driver, and he is off tomorrow and Saturday, and I’ll have to do the job myself.
Ok, have done it quite a few times, but still there is so many things that might go wrong… I’ll be lot slower, as he was always on the limiter, I never used to brake speed limits…
Will see tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me…

Stressed

Andy

Take your time, always ask if unsure. Come back after your first shift, tell us how it went

Good luck aspro most importantly enjoy the freedom and relax, take your time it’s quicker to slow down a bit then stand on a step ladder replacing mirrors or having to phone the office and explain how something happened! Have fun :slight_smile: .

Good luck mate just take it easy and give yourself enough road and you’ll be fine!

Drive to your own abilities not someone else’s. Don’t rush, far better to be slower but get the job done and no one will notice anyway than rush it have an accident or damage something and ■■■■ the job up altogether. Take your time and plan your moves then execute them deliberately. I was really slow on my first multi drop day having 28 washing machines, ovens and freezers to deliver. Got it done though and the last customer was a shop closing at 17:30 and I got there at 17:20. I got the mrs to get their telephone number for me and I called ahead to reassure them that I am on my way. The company was very impressed saying some of their drivers would have not bothered and brought the goods back to the yard!

My tomorrow’s job will be quite easy… 2 collections of pet food waste in a small containers or pallets. Nothing major. Just so many different boxes to return to a certain places (got them ready today:))) And a paperwork. I will take my time, as they won’t sack me for driving to the speed limit, but they would for a crash in a first week… I’ll take no chances, as wheels are likely to spin on a wet road- never happened to me on the bus:)
Will let you know how it went tomorrow in the evening…

good luck bud, remember your the boss in that cab just take it easy and remember why you have the license they dont give them away you earned it now learn your own way good luck

Oki doki… Done my first shift alone. Never damaged my truck, never killed anyone…

Started at 6, had to wait 15 mins for truck to get back, night driver uncoupled a bulker full of waste (smells horrible), refuelled, took his card off, and I got on.
Put my tacho in, checked truck around and took it on the road. Took one of our trailers from a different company, full of dolavs and went to collect some smelly stuff…
1 collection went smooth, got all the stuff on the trailer and off I went. Second one was a bit more complicated, as I had some stuff already, loads of empty containers on the back, and 12 pallets of waste sweets waiting to get on… Finally dropped some of empty boxes, got pallets on and drove off. Found a nice lay bay, as it was nearly 12, put my tacho on break and had a sandwich… After I finished my break I went to do last collection, had to wait over an hour for a fork lift, then back again to drop trailer off. When I finished that I was told to bring unit back to the yard. I am not quite sure if I’ve done paperwork correctly at the end… We will see tomorrow… It wasn’t a bad day… Time to have some rest:)

Glad it all went well. What kind of truck r u driving ? Did u finish in good time ?

Sounds like you did ok. Good man :slight_smile:

I was on a 09 Volvo FH 480. Nice truck to drive. I finished at around 5 pm. I’ve got a feeling I’ll have to do the same job everyday, which isn’t too bad really, it might be good to a start. The only thing which I’ve never realized before it is so easy to loose traction when road is wet. It never happened to me on the bus…

:frowning:((

I had a boom today.

Had to pull out a trailer, which was in the middle between another trailer on 1 side and artic with 13 plate on other… Never hit trailer or artic, but hit a small fence with cab door while reversing:(((

Manager wasn’t too happy…

Day off tomorrow, will get my own unit on Monday. I could bet all my money it will be the most scratched one in the yard:))

Mistakes happen. Just make sure you learn from them.

It’s the ones that make the same mistakes time and time again that get fired.

Yes you may have the worst kept motor in the yard as your own, but keep it in good nick and keep incident free, and you will progress to a better unit.

I can still remember my first couple of days. 2 days of following another driver to get the hang of loading and tipping, then off by myself. Its daunting but as others have said take your time, relax a little and enjoy. Don’t stress over the paperwork too much, if its wrong then its probably overly complicated and just get the office to explain it again.

I started on artic bulk tippers. In at the deep end. Before my test I had only driven an old ERF round the sawmill at nights!

Oh another thing. Keep it simple, don’t get bogged down with all the rules.
Remember the 45 minutes break after 4 1/2 drive.
Always think of a day as 24 hours, work 13 hours, have 11 off. Work 15, have 9 off.

The other rules will soon follow on.