On contract to hanbury davies

has anyone had any experience or views of working as an owner operator for these. would be grateful of any info

NSH used to run for these I believe, he doesn’t anymore, he’ll be along in a mo’ no doubt.

When I pulled for 'em they gave you a 1500 mile weekly guarantee.

This also became a ceiling ,meaning you would earn no More.

They would keep coming up with new excuses as to why they couldn’t pay you demurrage which is owed.The latest being that you had to fax a copy of the p.o.d within 48hrs ,quite how you were supposed to do this when you are out all week without going into the office I’ll never know!

Since I left they have

Removed the weekly gurantee

Mispaid subbies

Underpaid subbies

Laid off drivers

Parked up numerous vehicles & trailers

Yet they are still advertising for subbies ■■!! even tho by their own admission they’ve got no work

They even got 1 subbie I know well to travel from Hereford to Felixstowe to pick up a box to be delivered Tuesday am.
When he was back at Felixstowe they told him there was no more work for the rest of the week & to go back to Hereford at his own exspence

THAT WAS HIS LAST DAY HE WORKED FOR THEM

In short I wouldn’t touch 'em with a bargepole

TAZ MAN:
has anyone had any experience or views of working as an owner operator for these. would be grateful of any info

from what i hear they expect more than delivery :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: handbury davies

thanx for the info seem like a company to give a miss :wink:

perhaps anyone thinking about having a go should realise that the vast majority of firms that continually advertise for subbies all work on the same basis, they’ll take on as many as they can, wether they’ve got work for em or not, they’ll then split what work they have got between all the wagons, meaning unless they’re exceptionally busy no one earns a great deal. those that offer a mileage rate will only ever give one o/d the minimum mileage or find reasons why they’ve not even given them that. those that offer job rates are in the driving seat from day one, at the end of the day it costs them nothing if your parked up waiting for the next job or your running 100 miles plus empty between loads, they’ll still make the same money out of each load, only the o/d stands the costs!
don’t want to put a downer on the job but the fact is, there is some decent work to be had but it’s not advertissed in magazines every week and in my opinion probably 70% of o/d work available isn’t financially viable.
as many have said before, sort the work before you spend the money.

cheers paul b, im looking into every aspect at the moment so like i said all this info does help