On a roll.

Conor:
Highway Code 168

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Its a shame some car drivers don’t adhere to this rule, I had one Friday M4 from Magor to M5 section, driving slow, went to overtake and the ■■■■ put his foot down, I gave a honk on the horn and he put 1 finger up!!!

I’ll defend car drivers here; yes it’s bloody annoying when they speed up as you’re overtaking them, but I’m convinced that the majority do it as a subconscious reaction with no malice intended.

Next time you’re on a multi lane road in your car and traffic permitting set your cruise to 70mph (or any speed north of that if you’re feeling naughty) and I guarantee that you’ll catch a car up, start to overtake and he’ll pull away on the inside of you. You’ll undoubtedly catch him again within a mile or so because he doesn’t actually want to travel that fast.

Sploom, just so that you are aware, if two HGVs are neck-and-neck for too long, it can be considered you’re jointly creating a “rolling roadblock” and both drivers can get grief from the authorities for it. You’re better off not getting into a urinating contest over nothing.

Conor:

Sploom:
Ok,so you’re overtaking me but then we come to a hill and I pick up speed and you dont like it because youre stuck in the middle lane and then you start blowing the horn so Ive got to brake now,even though I dont feel like braking but,hey,weve got someone in such a rage he’s gonna run me into the hard shoulder in a minute if I dont slow down and let him back in.Why cant you stop in the middle for a short time? Its just as wide and it goes the same way as the granny lane.Then,once we get past the downhill you can get past me and back in the granny lane.But whats the big deal? We have a problem with cars hogging the middle lane so why cant you hog the middle just for half a mile .It wont hurt you.
I dont feel like putting my foot on the brake,

It’s precisely this kind of [zb] driving that has resulted in HGV overtaking bans on the M42, A14 and M11. Doing it on the A66 where I go over a lot you can end up side by side or playing leapfrog the whole way over only to end up at Penrith traffic lights either directly in front of them or directly behind them. Just drop back, let em in.

Highway Code 168

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

I was talking about 3 lanes,obviously if its two lanes I let him in.I let him on on 3 lanes but just not in such a rush

I found myself behind an Elephant race on Friday, northbound on the A1 around Tickencote/ Stamford. I backed it off a notch and sat back from the action in lane 1, meanwhile a long line of cars was building up behind the two hero’s. After 3-4 minutes I eased into the centre line and gave em a flash to see if one would back off and let the traffic pass, but nothing happened. So another couple of minutes later I flashed them again and gave them a blast of the horn. Finally after what seemed like 10 minutes the elephant race was over and traffic started to flow passed them. Ironically by the time we got to Colsterworth I ended up passing both of them as I was running light and made up the distance in the first because they slowed down going uphill due to the weight. The second didn’t anticipate the traffic emerging from the road junction after the BP garage

Sploom:
Ok,so you’re overtaking me but then we come to a hill and I pick up speed and you dont like it because youre stuck in the middle lane and then you start blowing the horn so Ive got to brake now,even though I dont feel like braking but,hey,weve got someone in such a rage he’s gonna run me into the hard shoulder in a minute if I dont slow down and let him back in.Why cant you stop in the middle for a short time? Its just as wide and it goes the same way as the granny lane.Then,once we get past the downhill you can get past me and back in the granny lane.But whats the big deal? We have a problem with cars hogging the middle lane so why cant you hog the middle just for half a mile .It wont hurt you.
I dont feel like putting my foot on the brake,

It’s like a good chunk of the idiocy that infests lorry driving presently has been condensed into one not-so-succinct post. Both of you sound like steering wheel holders who couldn’t drive their way out of a wet McDonald’s bag.

See the opposite,when Im overtaking and his speed is varying,I dont make a big ussue of it.Im happy to use the middle lane.Like I say,thats what the lane is there fir.It is just as good .As for blasting the horn,I dont think thats a good idea,you could spook another driver,a car driver.Who knows what could happen

Imagine if we had computers driving trucks.All you had to do was get it started on the motorway and then press a button,then sit back until its time to come off.i would guess you would get a lot of elephant races,right?
But what would be the consequences? Nothing!
The deliveries would still be done wouldnt they.It would nt take longer for the customer to get the goods.So,this thing,its all in the mind.What we really need to is to use the available road space and get the job done without all the unecessary road rage,honking of horns and so on

Ba jaysus, and i thought i was ■■■■■■■ :stuck_out_tongue:

Sploom:
Imagine if we had computers driving trucks.All you had to do was get it started on the motorway and then press a button,then sit back until its time to come off.i would guess you would get a lot of elephant races,right?
But what would be the consequences? Nothing!
The deliveries would still be done wouldnt they.It would nt take longer for the customer to get the goods.So,this thing,its all in the mind.What we really need to is to use the available road space and get the job done without all the unecessary road rage,honking of horns and so on

Stop !!
Just stop !
:unamused:

Now,as regards the elephant racing,if someone ahead of me is doing it,what is that to me?
As long as its a reasonable speed.Now,if elephant racing is such a baig issue,why isnt it mentioned in the cpc training?
Or maybe you think it should be part of the curiculem?
To sum up,ultimatley we are here to get goods from A to B.Its not about us.If we had a more relaxed attitude,the job would be more pleasant for all of us.
Last week,I clocked this v8 doing 65mph on the flat! Honest,my merc has this radar on it.Now if Im in an elephant race and this guy comes up behind,he will be giving me the lights the horns,the full works,but this type of behaviour doesnt benefit anyione and the customer isnt paying for this service

All of us are going to engage in a little elephant racing now and again, ain’t that what foot down Fridays are for, but when it get to last more than a minute or two then you know it’s sensible to knock it off a notch or two so that the other person can get back in

Sploom:
As long as its a reasonable speed.Now,if elephant racing is such a baig issue,why isnt it mentioned in the cpc training?

It is. In mine anyway, with an accompanying video

robroy:

the maoster:
I’ll let mine go downhill UNLESS there is another speed limited vehicle already overtaking me. In that case I’ll use the exhaust/foot brake to keep it at the speed I was doing when he/she started the overtake. I’m sure that the HC says something along the lines of not accelerating when someone is overtaking you.

I just do it because it’s the right thing to do.

Yep same here.
It’s one of those many occasions where you weigh up.a situation and ask yourself that age old question…

‘‘What would Jesus do?.’’.

:smiley:

He’d ask his Pa to send one of those highly accurate lightning bolts

Just so you all know - if I find an elephant race on my travels I’ll happily sit back and watch for a few minutes . If after that time the 2 clowns can’t sort themselves out I declare all lanes in play and will happily take the 3rd or 4th lane to pass both of them .
I love the look of disapointment in their eyes as I come steaming past offering to make them a cup of coffee. :smiling_imp: :grimacing: :astonished: :astonished: #paddywagonsdon’twait

In the glory…

Days before limiters. I really can’t remember everyone taking the mickey. Sure for a giggle, I’ve whizzed a Marathon as far as it would go and shamelessly took an F12 to 80.

But, on my daily travels I’d drive (no cruise back then) showing 62mph. No one was naffed off, I never once got a ticket for it and (here’s the kicker), if it looked like I was about to get into an elephant race, I could hoof it on to 65…68…70…or what ever got me clear. My gaffer checked all our cards every week and handed out bollockings where required over excess speed.

Is it time to look at getting rid of limiters?

Perhaps, keeping the 60 limit but, raising limiters to 65?

Sploom:

No, you wouldn’t, because a computer doesn’t have a ■■■■■ so isn’t concerned about urinating contests, it doesn’t have an ego, so has nothing to prove. If the day ever comes when we really do have a lot of self driving vehicles (both cars and trucks) many traffic jams will be eliminated, because the number one cause of traffic hold ups is that a significant number of vehicle users have one or both of the problems listed above.

Its like when I drive in central London,20mph limit,I tootle along ,the traffic lights are on red,no point accelerating towards the lights,but in the mirror,I can see cars and taxis,desperate to get past,edging out,some of them overtaking even,just to get to the next set of lights.A computer jwouldnt do this,presumably

Sploom:
Its like when I drive in central London,20mph limit,I tootle along ,the traffic lights are on red,no point accelerating towards the lights,but in the mirror,I can see cars and taxis,desperate to get past,edging out,some of them overtaking even,just to get to the next set of lights.A computer jwouldnt do this,presumably

People have driven in London like that for as long as I remember, and the first time I went there by myself was 1979…
So why do you even care.
Stop being such a ■■■■ drama queen and just get on with your job. :unamused:

Well,for the same reason you act as a drama queen on this forum about stuff that doesnt affect you,I guess,like driver facing cameras for instance.Anyway,youve probably been on the pop,so we’ll say no more :laughing: