Omg- i love my job?

OMG- I LOVE MY JOB?
Ok where do I start, m lets see, ok lets start with hours worked, anyone who has a job works normal hours well most of the planet works a 40 hour week for a half descent living, truck drivers work 50/% more for less, also it must be the only job in the world where there break is not included in there days work where in the world would you see this (nowhere). Let me explain a bit better a driver can drive 9 hours a day driving but can also do another 6 hours sitting on bays or getting delayed whatever, so he can do a 15 hour day every day may be not driving but he is out working a 15 hour day every day and for that he gets paid buttons, now out of that 15 hours this is only if he gets paid by the hour which most normal people do but not drivers, he gets docked 45 minutes from his 15 hours for taking a break that’s required by law to take, now on top of this he is not allowed to take any other break by his company if he stops he is asked when he gets back why did you stop or gets a phone call, not all do but I would say 80/% do, if you break down the hours worked to the pay, example I came out with 500 this week (wow) you did, tell me how many hours did you do for that, (omg) I only did 65 put another 4 on top of that for the free breaks that the company get for free, so lets say 70 into 500, now that might be good money to some drivers (wow) 500 clear a week (omg) a little over 5 pounds a hour for a 70 hour week and that’s a short week he could be doing 75 hours a week. WHY do we do it, is it like, look at me I drive a big 40 I look great behind the wheel king of the road
Anyway we would be better off packing boxes in Tesco if they could get that type of hours we would earn more money, as it is he lives the life of a traveller tinker or what ever you want to call it, who else in the world lives in a tin can for most of the week ■■■■■■■ on the side of the road or ■■■■■■■ in there own cab in a bottle, god knows where we do a number two. Also not enough sleep taking tablets to keep awake and getting 15 or 20 pounds to sleep in a tin box.

welcome my good sir!
so the above is your first post! wow
i agree with you on the breaks though, i wish it was paid.

nightline:
OMG- I LOVE MY JOB?
Ok where do I start, m lets see, ok lets start with hours worked, anyone who has a job works normal hours well most of the planet works a 40 hour week for a half descent living, truck drivers work 50/% more for less, also it must be the only job in the world where there break is not included in there days work where in the world would you see this (nowhere). Let me explain a bit better a driver can drive 9 hours a day driving but can also do another 6 hours sitting on bays or getting delayed whatever, so he can do a 15 hour day every day may be not driving but he is out working a 15 hour day every day and for that he gets paid buttons, now out of that 15 hours this is only if he gets paid by the hour which most normal people do but not drivers, he gets docked 45 minutes from his 15 hours for taking a break that’s required by law to take, now on top of this he is not allowed to take any other break by his company if he stops he is asked when he gets back why did you stop or gets a phone call, not all do but I would say 80/% do, if you break down the hours worked to the pay, example I came out with 500 this week (wow) you did, tell me how many hours did you do for that, (omg) I only did 65 put another 4 on top of that for the free breaks that the company get for free, so lets say 70 into 500, now that might be good money to some drivers (wow) 500 clear a week (omg) a little over 5 pounds a hour for a 70 hour week and that’s a short week he could be doing 75 hours a week. WHY do we do it, is it like, look at me I drive a big 40 I look great behind the wheel king of the road
Anyway we would be better off packing boxes in Tesco if they could get that type of hours we would earn more money, as it is he lives the life of a traveller tinker or what ever you want to call it, who else in the world lives in a tin can for most of the week ■■■■■■■ on the side of the road or ■■■■■■■ in there own cab in a bottle, god knows where we do a number two. Also not enough sleep taking tablets to keep awake and getting 15 or 20 pounds to sleep in a tin box.

Yep, thats trucking uk mate in 1 :wink: Welcome to trucknet

Right right right.

yawn

Welcome, I see what your saying they are some good bad points to the job then there’s the sun out women in less clothing air con on music up and it’s the best job going, no one sat next to you ear bashing and then when you start thinking your not getting paid enough to sit In this traffic you drive past some poor ■■■■ digging holes on a building site with his shovel for 60 quid a day and you realise life could be better but could be alot worse!

I aint being funny mate, but if you think it really is that ■■■■, then why not go and stack shelves in Asda or Tesco??

no-one is forcing you to stay a truck driver, and no-one is stopping you doing something else!

I drove buses for 11 years before i became a truck driver, I was VERY well paid, and VERY good at my job. BUT I hated how the job had changed, I hated the current management and decided to get out and re-train!

now im loving trucking, yea the hours are long and the pays not brilliant. BUT you could be stuck stacking shelves, or sat in a boring office doing boring meetings driving your boring german car up and down the same stretch of boring road twice a day!

I know which one i’d sooner be doing!

oh, welcome to trucknet BTW!

B…

nightline.
Any chance you could insert the odd paragraph? A few more full stops would help. As an added bonus; **** off.

He’s right about everything, 99% of truck drivers are treated like crap and second class citizens. If I could find a nice supermaket or shop job where I could earn the same money I’d quit in a flash, mind you although for the hours it’s still rubbish for him to take home 500 quid after deductions he must be a good wage from what I read about in the UK.
I know the pay has gone down over there because that 500 is a tad more than I was making before I left.
For him to take home that amount what would thetop line be in todays climate ? If it were here in NY I would say the top line before deductions the pay would be about $750 to take home $500.
From the posts I see on this forum 750 quid is not too bad.

Ian58:
nightline.
Any chance you could insert the odd paragraph? A few more full stops would help. As an added bonus; **** off.

I must be hitting a nerve with you in other words what I’m saying is you are doing the same hours

Bungle666:
I aint being funny mate, but if you think it really is that [zb], then why not go and stack shelves in Asda or Tesco??

no-one is forcing you to stay a truck driver, and no-one is stopping you doing something else!

I drove buses for 11 years before i became a truck driver, I was VERY well paid, and VERY good at my job. BUT I hated how the job had changed, I hated the current management and decided to get out and re-train!

now im loving trucking, yea the hours are long and the pays not brilliant. BUT you could be stuck stacking shelves, or sat in a boring office doing boring meetings driving your boring german car up and down the same stretch of boring road twice a day!

Trust me if i could get a job doing that i would take it to tomorrow

B…

Contraflow:
yawn

If you cant say anything, say nothing.

Well fancy that another driver who didn’t know what he was getting into. Complaining about truck drivers doing long hours is like a firefighter complaining he has to fight fires. You clearly don’t like it so why not go and stack shelves like you mention? Really, there is nothing stopping you, you drive a truck through choice, no one is holding a gun to your head? As for ‘most of the planet working 40 hours for a half decent living’ I suggest you open your eyes a little. Unless by planet you mean the west only.

Pat Hasler:
He’s right about everything, 99% of truck drivers are treated like crap and second class citizens. If I could find a nice supermaket or shop job where I could earn the same money I’d quit in a flash, mind you although for the hours it’s still rubbish for him to take home 500 quid after deductions he must be a good wage from what I read about in the UK.
I know the pay has gone down over there because that 500 is a tad more than I was making before I left.
For him to take home that amount what would thetop line be in todays climate ? If it were here in NY I would say the top line before deductions the pay would be about $750 to take home $500.
From the posts I see on this forum 750 quid is not too bad.

Pat your still missing the point 70 to 75 hours for 500 a week is crap for the job we do

nightline:

Contraflow:
yawn

ah dont take it to heart man, its usual banter here. so how long have you been trukking?

Ian58:
nightline.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nightline:

Contraflow:
yawn

Oh sweet irony.

Scanner:

nightline:

Contraflow:
yawn

Oh sweet irony.

O What a boring person you must be. I mean to say something and you say that says it all.

nightline:

Scanner:

nightline:

Contraflow:
yawn

Oh sweet irony.

O What a boring person you must be. I mean to say something and you say that says it all.

Quite possibly I am. However I’m not so boring that I would write an account of my week and presume that many others who had a broadly similar week would be interested in reading about mine.

That wouldn’t be boring, that would be the presumptious ramblings of a true dullard.

nightline:

Bungle666:
I aint being funny mate, but if you think it really is that [zb], then why not go and stack shelves in Asda or Tesco??

B…

Trust me if i could get a job doing that i would take it to tomorrow

There are LOADS of shelf stacking jobs, jobs in KFC and Maccies, Jobs in warehouses as loaders ETC…

BUT you don’t want to do them, you want to drive trucks! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: And there goes your argument… :unamused: :unamused:

the problem with trucking and the rates of pay are NOT down to Immigrants, Foreigners, agencies, transport companies, big firms undercutting the little outfits neither is it tax, price of fuel, government or regulation or any of the 1000,000 reasons given on here and spread around RDC waiting rooms like a dose of the clap…

its actually ALOT more simple than that… it’s CONSUMER price! Joe public wants to pay less for the stuff they want to buy, that stuff at some point in its life spends time on a truck! the retailers need to cut the price where they can, and that chaps is where we come in! most things in trucking are a fixed price (even fuel to an extent) so the only saving is… you guessed it WAGES!

so as opposed to whingeing on here, maybe you should start lobbying retailers to up the rates they pay to hauliers (and indirectly to us) :slight_smile:

Just a thought like :slight_smile:

B…