OMG! First drive

Oh it’s easy for you to say, been there done that and of course, once you get into it, it’s easy right? Well, Yeah, sorta :smiley:

Agency rang today and offered me a short job to do. I’d already harassed them earlier on so this I guess was payback :smiley:

Pop over to a vehicle hire place and pickup a rigid for Milton Keynes. So off I trundled. I didn’t want to give a bad impression so changed out of the smart suit I’d been wearing for other meetings today into some clean work trousers and a t-shirt then went to the hirer.

The chap in the office said ‘oh yeah, the little truck, sure’ when I said who I was collecting for. After an hours wait of paperwork and stuff he took me out back and introduced me to a DAF 26t rigid fridge truck :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Did the walk around checks and the damage spotting for the paperwork, everything looked fine to hopped in, fired it up and… then had to return to the office as it was a paper tacho :astonished: and I didn’t have a disc.

It was an 8sp manual gearbox with a range change on it. Having trained on a splitter (I think) this was quite different.

1st was slow and 4th wasn’t that much faster, but I couldn’t pull away in 5th. Took me a moment to even find fifth but thankfully rush hour traffic was upon us and the traffic moved slow. Left Coventry and trundled off down the A46/A45 and by the time I reached the M45 I had found cruise control, top gear and the radio was knackered. Never mind. Rang Dad to let him know the deal and the plans and what was going to happen later and stuff. The agency had said catch the train back, get a receipt we’ll pay but a kind family member offered to collect me from MK and I could pay them the £20 I would have had to spend on the train. Apparently the choice was ‘housework’ or ‘couple hours in the car for family’ :smiley: no contest really, for someone who doesn’t like housework but likes driving :smiley:

My SatNav didn’t like the 24v power socket in the cab so I was without charger. I struggled to find the details on the map as the directions were, ahem, interesting. Eventually got it on the map after talking it through with the office at the other end and heard someone call out ‘the drivers lost’ :smiley: :smiley: I did point out that it was a new trading estate and wasn’t in the map or the satnav :smiley: Anyway. Found my phone with TomTom on was able to operate without a power lead (but drank the battery) and just using voice directions and the screen not visible to me. This was very handy!

So. Remember I said you couldn’t pull of in 5th? Well, I could at a push, well, I managed it once or twice but found it just easier to plan the roundabouts in MK. There were a few cars that indicated left and went around the roundabout, but I’d already got halfway across the roundabout before they indicated their presence with their horn. Kind of them wasn’t it :smiley: It only happened twice but when I’d made the decision to actually proceed they weren’t even visible!

Turned up on site, dropped it where they wanted it and found for the second time that day I was actually managing the reversing better than going forwards :smiley: :smiley: But got it nice and straight before clearing my stuff out and getting out of the cab. I had a walk around with the guy in charge of the yard. Seems all the other DAFs in the yard (3 years old and under) were all auto’s on digi cards. He was not amused when I pointed out it was a manual with a paper tacho, but grinning he said it wasn’t a problem as he wouldn’t be driving it :smiley: :smiley:

He then was going to give me a lift to the train station. I thought I’d have to find my own way but instead got him to drop my by the motorway which made life so much easier :smiley:

So, it was an awesome afternoon. Nice to be able to get behind the wheel eventually and really pleased it went really well :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Of course, having cargo as well would have helped. Averaged 10mpg on the way down there, and 8 when doing 55mph…

Sorry, no pics :smiley: Proved my satnav power cable isn’t good enough, the bluetooth earpiece works and I can drive afterall :smiley:

Stopped at NP services and I’m sure some of the drivers thought I was a wimp by having to get the revs wrong pulling out of that space :astonished: I’d only stopped to check the map

Still. Swings and roundabouts, and more roundabouts than swings in MK :sunglasses:

Well done on first drive.

Doubt it was a splitter you trained with.

It’s strange not having instructor / examiner not telling you what to do isn’t it?

You have proved yourself to agency and hopefully more will come along.

Pulling away in 5th is definitely not a good idea unless empty and downhill. (And even then I’d be dubious)

3rd is a better option for starting off. Loaded lorries handle a lot differently.

I get strange looks in Newport Pagnell driving any vehicle :laughing:

Keep up the good work.

Dean

Thanks Dean.

Trained in a Merc 12sp with the switch on the gearstick where 1st low was 1 and 1st high was 1.5, but this one was 1234-low to high-5678 :smiley:

It was probably for the best that the truck wasn’t loaded, they’re more forgiving when empty! Use these opportunities to get to know the gearbox. Until you do become familiar I’d suggest you go through the gears as per the gear test. Pulling away in FIFTH is a no-no even if empty!

44 Tonne Ton:
Pulling away in FIFTH is a no-no even if empty!

Yes :wink: I’ve had experience of other vehicles with difficult gearbox combinations and then heavy loads so kinda knew it was a bad idea. I’m glad I didn’t have that on my test though, it’s quite a bit of work to get used to it and I was only driving it using the gears as much for half an hour, the rest was on the motorway in top gear.

It was certainly an interesting experience :wink: Although I would have preferred not to have learnt it in MK with all those roundabouts :astonished: :unamused: :blush:

What is this gear test, 44 tonne ? Us newbies no long do this on the driving test , nor the braking exercise :unamused: , block changing is required tho .
with my truck 32 tonne tipper , its usually 3rd gear empty to start , unless hill start or downhill start .

normally 2nd when loaded ,skip to 4 th then high range . Again hills my be different …
cheers mike

The gear test was to drive a short distance and go up through the gearbox and back down again, proving every gear.

Congratulations on the first drive.

Saratoga:
I didn’t want to give a bad impression so changed out of the smart suit I’d been wearing for other meetings today into some clean work trousers and a t-shirt then went to the hirer.

You’d certainly have been remembered, if you’d left the suit on! :laughing:

Saratoga:
It was certainly an interesting experience :wink: Although I would have preferred not to have learnt it in MK with all those roundabouts :astonished: :unamused: :blush:

I as lucky to learn and have my test in Livingston (another new town) so got used to roundabouts VERY quickly! :imp:

Try and keep a few spare paper discs for tacho with your printouts and other kit, they’re always handy…either in your next analogue truck, or if the paper roll has run out in a digi (just copy the details from the display so you’ve got a copy for your records).

EDIT: Also handy to have a spare paper roll.