Olympics

Am I the only one who just doesn’t give a toss about it and is fed up with it being on the tv and getting extended boring sports reports on the radio?
What’s inspiring about watching people jump over a sandpit or throw a long fibreglass stick when there’s no chance of it spearing someone?
I’m not enthralled or entertained watching a cyclist clad in lycra racing about. I can do that in Oxford. Who needs Rio when in East Oxford you can watch a man run a one minute mile, with police officers behind him?
Just what was the London 2012 olympic legacy? A red helter skelter and West Ham getting a cheap stadium?

+1, I was beginning to think I was the only person thinking this and next week we get to witness the spectacle of people running round a track trying to prove which one of them has the best chemist :wink: :unamused: . Also I had the misfortune,while trying in vain to find something decent to watch on the tv, to stumble across 2 blokes jumping into a pool at the same time,sorry, I mean Synchronised Diving :unamused: .Absolutely nothing weird about two “friends” wearing the tiniest budgie smugglers being filmed having a shower, no sireee :wink: :laughing:

All the wild celebrations when they get a siver medal . They didn’t win , they came bloody second .Even worse with the bronze , also rans .

GOG47:
I had the misfortune,while trying in vain to find something decent to watch on the tv, to stumble across 2 blokes jumping into a pool at the same time,sorry, I mean Synchronised Diving :unamused: .Absolutely nothing weird about two “friends” wearing the tiniest budgie smugglers being filmed having a shower, no sireee :wink: :laughing:

If you go to Brighton you can watch drunken “friends” synchronized diving off the pier.

Absolutely.Virtually 24/7 saturation coverage of bs boring ‘sports’ that only a few people are interested in the rest of us can put up with it or turn off or change channels.While for some reason the whole circus seems to fit the BBC’s eco/PC political agenda.It reminds me of school sports in which the physical sports angle was forced on everyone while anyone who was interested in motor sports was told to zb off and get on with it like it or not even though we had a well equipped engineering shop and a garage for teaching car mechanics. :imp: :unamused:

You are far from alone didn’t watch the last lot not going to watch this lot either. Do they hold them every eighteen months now, cause it doesn’t seem like four years since the last lot. :open_mouth:

Get yourselves over to the “Wreay Olympics” (sponsored by BBC Wireless ■■■■■■■■■ Much more exciting.
Harold Dixon from Hilltop Farm, Southwaite, has just broke the world record in the “See how far away you can get from the farm before realising you’ve left the spare tractor battery on charge” competition. He made it as far as The George Hotel in Orton.

Can’t wait til tomorrow, Baler twine knitting and synchronised pig-swilling are on.

Carryfast:
Absolutely.Virtually 24/7 saturation coverage of bs boring ‘sports’ that only a few people are interested in the rest of us can put up with it or turn off or change channels.While for some reason the whole circus seems to fit the BBC’s eco/PC political agenda.It reminds me of school sports in which the physical sports angle was forced on everyone while anyone who was interested in motor sports was told to zb off and get on with it like it or not even though we had a well equipped engineering shop and a garage for teaching car mechanics. :imp: :unamused:

I agree whole heartedly with the point about the saturation coverage with normal programmes being shuffled off to some distant date. I am not thrilled with the Olympics either.

However I really take issue with the “bs boring sports very few are interested in”. The BBC is supposed to provide programmes to cater for everyone, not just the viewers who are having ■■■■■■■ over the prospect of Forty ■■■■■■■ nine weeks of ■■■■■■■ football this year. These other ‘boring sports’ get an airing in many cases just the once every four years. I hate ■■■■■■■ football with a vengeance. The only mild interest I had was news that Leicester had said “up yours” to the wunderkinder. The following quote from my local paper headlined - “The beautiful game that just won’t go away” - is priceless:

“Some of us are still more than a little bit miffed that the Premier League’s English “stars”, who are now being portrayed as unconquerable heroes in pre-season promotional footage, were unable to pull one back against Iceland little over a month ago”.

Contrast those overpaid non entities to these fabulous Irish lads who showed what real sporting attitude is about:

telegraph.co.uk/olympics/201 … t-intervi/

With no footage of the O’Donovans yesterday this clip from the 2016 European championships will have to do . Ireland are in lane 4.

youtube.com/watch?v=1ggCBfVe3UY

In spite of being British and thoroughly enjoying power of yesterday’s GB rowing success live, it was the O’ Donovan brothers’ “close the eyes and pull like a dog” exhibition which really impressed me. Hopefully their example may appeal to those kids who are not attracted to chasing a pig’s bladder around a muddy field, because they don’t have ball skills.

For what it is worth, I do know what it is like to race the four miles from Mortlake to Putney in a single sculling boat in the middle of a very cold March gale.

Football is what you do on a Sunday morning before having a pint with your mates and a nice dinner.
Cycling is what I sometimes do.
Running is what others do if they dont like bikes. All the stuff on the TV at present is just big money entertainment. Not Even amateur (mostly) anymore. So, Muckaway you arent alone.

Edit P.S. F1 Superbikes etc: I don`t want to stand around watching others having fun, I wanna go in the car, or on the bike meself. No point otherwise.

As for swimming, hate it with a passion. Most likely because a swimming teacher at school basically told us that “you will drown in a river if you don’t get your strokes right.”
And rowing, yes it’s hard work but I’ll show an interest when the boat I was previously on sinks and I have to row.

Gets my goat olympics for hours on end then the news comes on and yep the first 10mins is Olympics why bother,

So what’s been on BBC1 for the last half hour? drama, documentary, discussion, cricket, golf, tennis, olympics? …No ■■■■■■■ football. The better half was watching it, it seemed like a discussion programme, probably about the likelihood of some millionaire being able to score 20 goals in the upcoming season while wearing his jockstrap back to front, his best snood and his yellow socks. Oh sorry forgot about the gloves to keep his precious pinkies warm.

I agree that it’s all a bit much, but on the other hand it’s only every 4 years, and the highlight will come in a few weeks and months when the athletes get stripped of their medals for drug offences! :laughing:

Do you lot only have 2 channels? Turn the channel over if you don’t wanna watch it. It’s not rocket science.

I saw on the news that Carryfaster and Rjanair have won the Rio Talkathon For a Long Time 2016, no doubt they will showing off their gold medals on This Morning and Bbc Breakfast monday morning .

cav551:

Carryfast:

I agree whole heartedly with the point about the saturation coverage with normal programmes being shuffled off to some distant date. I am not thrilled with the Olympics either.

However I really take issue with the “bs boring sports very few are interested in”. The BBC is supposed to provide programmes to cater for everyone, not just the viewers who are having ■■■■■■■ over the prospect of Forty [zb] nine weeks of [zb] football this year. These other ‘boring sports’ get an airing in many cases just the once every four years. I hate [zb] football with a vengeance. The only mild interest I had was news that Leicester had said “up yours” to the wunderkinder. The following quote from my local paper headlined - “The beautiful game that just won’t go away” - is priceless:

“Some of us are still more than a little bit miffed that the Premier League’s English “stars”, who are now being portrayed as unconquerable heroes in pre-season promotional footage, were unable to pull one back against Iceland little over a month ago”.

Contrast those overpaid non entities to these fabulous Irish lads who showed what real sporting attitude is about:

telegraph.co.uk/olympics/201 … t-intervi/

With no footage of the O’Donovans yesterday this clip from the 2016 European championships will have to do . Ireland are in lane 4.

youtube.com/watch?v=1ggCBfVe3UY

In spite of being British and thoroughly enjoying power of yesterday’s GB rowing success live, it was the O’ Donovan brothers’ “close the eyes and pull like a dog” exhibition which really impressed me. Hopefully their example may appeal to those kids who are not attracted to chasing a pig’s bladder around a muddy field, because they don’t have ball skills.

For what it is worth, I do know what it is like to race the four miles from Mortlake to Putney in a single sculling boat in the middle of a very cold March gale.

I was thinking more of live and in depth coverage of ‘events’ like this. :wink: :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=LfY0aHnM804

youtube.com/watch?v=aSqYjDGNZok

Which obviously doesn’t fit the BBC agenda.

rigsby:
All the wild celebrations when they get a siver medal . They didn’t win , they came bloody second .Even worse with the bronze , also rans .

I blame the schools for this “Oh I won a silver/bronze. Oh im so happy”
They decided that having a “winner” at school sports days was unfair and made the ones who didnt win feel bad.
So now they dont feel upset at getting a silver or bronze. It doesnt bother them they techniclly lost

The-Snowman:
I blame the schools for this “Oh I won a silver/bronze. Oh im so happy”
They decided that having a “winner” at school sports days was unfair and made the ones who didnt win feel bad.
So now they dont feel upset at getting a silver or bronze. It doesnt bother them they techniclly lost

Like the TV coverage it should be a matter of choice.In that those who really want to compete in physical sports activeties get on with it but don’t force feed the rest of us who aren’t interested in their chosen boring minority interests.Which at best are just a predictable test of genetics or at worse artificial intervention to add to what nature has created.

I was watching the women’s volleyball earlier and there’s already been a wrist injury.

It’s making it quite difficult to steer the boat. :wink:

Harry Monk:
I was watching the women’s volleyball earlier and there’s already been a wrist injury.

It’s making it quite difficult to steer the boat. :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I must have missed that, however I’ve been reminded that after 4 years, dressage is still crap! :laughing:
Does a horse really want to ponce around an arena like that? :open_mouth: