OLDIE DRIVERS

I wonder if there are any oldie drivers out there wondering why any one would want to get into this industry.
What with our very good and understanding friends at vosa ,traffic police ,parking wardens R.D.C. staff ,dont waste fuel but get there yesterday.

I have had many many old timers tell me to stear well clear,i’ll soon be wishing
i had’nt bothered,more bother than its worth,soon get fed up etc etc

Dont bother me really,I’ll just keep on truckin :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

you will find out for yourself mate,funny how many complain about the industry,but are still working in it.
if it"s in your blood,you will enjoy it. :smiley: :smiley:

It’s said, that to make sure standards in the industry are upheld, that there will be a whinging test added to the hgv tests in 2010.
Whinging is a central part of a driver’s life!
It’s the only way to tell a good firm from a bad one, listen to the drivers whine and moan, if they’re complaining about small stuff, “Boss wanted me to do some unscheduled overtime, the [zb]” or bad things. “My wagon is a [zb] heap of [zb] gutless [zb] and the [zb] expects me to perform [zb] miracles with it…”

allikat:
It’s said, that to make sure standards in the industry are upheld, that there will be a whinging test added to the hgv tests in 2010.
It’s the only way to tell a good firm from a bad one, listen to the drivers whine and moan, if they’re complaining about small stuff, “Boss wanted me to do some unscheduled overtime, the [zb]” or bad things. “My wagon is a [zb] heap of [zb] gutless [zb] and the [zb] expects me to perform [zb] miracles with it…”

Will the INITIAL whinging test cover both sorts of moaning :question:

Will there be PERIODIC (ongoing) whinging attendance for the Driver CPC :question:

theres times when i wish i saved the money from my hgv licence and went travelling but thats usually when im not working lol

when i get work especially artic work i love it, something is in my blood but im the only one in my family to have it and im the youngest at 22 lol.

When I first started on the buses in 1975,the boy who took me out route-learning said to me “There’s two things about this job.It’s a job you’ll moan like [zb] about but you’ll find you can’t leave it.And it’s the biggest breaker-up of marriages there is”
His words have always stuck with me and over the years,I’ve found they are very true.I suppose the same can be said of the haulage industry.

gogzy:
theres times when i wish i saved the money from my hgv licence and went travelling but thats usually when im not working lol

when i get work especially artic work i love it, something is in my blood but im the only one in my family to have it and im the youngest at 22 lol.

At 22 your not an oldie ,get back to the newbies forum and have a happy new year.

alamcculloch:

gogzy:

At 22 your not an oldie ,get back to the newbies forum and have a happy new year.

:laughing: Hi alamcculloch, I just thought I’d mention that this IS the newbies’ forum. :wink: :grimacing:

dieseldave:

alamcculloch:

gogzy:

:laughing: Hi alamcculloch, I just thought I’d mention that this IS the newbies’ forum. :wink: :grimacing:

lol

PWND

As an Oldie :unamused: 47 almost 48 I think theres times when we moan and then as the years go on we find something else to moan about ,just like any other job really. I started in the industry 30yrs ago yeah theres times I thought Christ what am I doing but then I enjoyed it even the hard work :exclamation:
Rope and sheet in the sunshine :sunglasses: , rope and sheet when it’s chucking it down with rain when the rain would freeze as soon as it would touch the ground :frowning: , drying your wet gear in the cab on the night just so you had dry stuff to put on when you got soaked the next day.
My 1st truck only had a box on the side of it cause I made it and put it there all so I could put my straps in it to give me moor room in the cab. the truck oh yeah an old ERF- XEX 567S are:

Date of First Registration 01 03 1978
Year of Manufacture 1978
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 14000CC
Fuel Type Heavy Oil

Cant find the old pic I had of her. All the time I had her I only had one big downtime the cam broke up into 12 bits but stayed together, The fitter said I was lucky it didnt shaft the engine right up.
And I’m still learning and loving and loathing it everyday But I dont wanna do anything else I found out a few years ago my great grand father was a in the bis yep horse and cart and his great grand father was a flyman (used to help pull loads up hills yep horses again so it must be in my blood somewhere :laughing:

Well I must say as I have been at it for nearly 40 years now I still moan and groan about the job on a daily basis but then don,t we all !!!

If we didn,t moan we would have nothing to talk about when we are not working!!!

Having gone back on the spanners for a while many moons ago for 6 months or so I decided to go back behind the wheel and here I have been ever since with one broken marriage to boot as well! (It wasn,t the job that made the marriage go ■■■■ up BTW nor was it another female either and BTW I don,t “Bat for the other side” either ).

I still restore old vehicles for a hobby as I still enjoy the repairing of them as well as driving them for all the things associated with it such as VOSA / Police / Parking wardens etc. nowhere to park at night and all the other issues we have to put up with on a daily basis, but it is a job that is in your blood and for some reason when I do eventually hang up my keys for the last time when I retire as matron says you will miss it like hell and no doubt I will

gogzy:

dieseldave:

alamcculloch:

gogzy:

Now you know what a senior moment is .Happy new year to all out there.

lol

PWND

allikat:

Thats a new keyboard and moniter you owe me Allikat!!! Tea (sprayed exorcist style) doesn’t mix with electrics :smiley:

It is the law that if you do more than 5 years as a driver you must moan and slag it off everyday.But you would’nt give it up even though everyday you say i 've ad a gut full of this not like it used to be and various other cliche’s.
They really should make moaning part of the test so that your prepared for the future of your chosen carreer. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I haven’t driven a truck for six years now, used to moan and groan as much as anyone but I tell you what, given the chance I would go back to it tomorrow. Gets in your blood!

Pete.

What do they say the average age of a truck driver is 52 or 54 is it!!