Oldest revenue earning HGVs

tonyj105:
my missus is currently moaning about them bloody noisy green things are going past the house again . Those bloody green things being a fleet of Foden Alphas all tankers on anglian water, v reg to about 55 reg, six and 8 wheel rigids with a couple of 44 tonners thrown in for good measure , lovely.

tony

I forgot about those. They’re at Wollaston aren’t they? They were running ERF ECs until not so long ago.

ezydriver:

tonyj105:
my missus is currently moaning about them bloody noisy green things are going past the house again . Those bloody green things being a fleet of Foden Alphas all tankers on anglian water, v reg to about 55 reg, six and 8 wheel rigids with a couple of 44 tonners thrown in for good measure , lovely.

tony

I forgot about those. They’re at Wollaston aren’t they? They were running ERF ECs until not so long ago.

Cammack & Wilcox !

SHUNT1986:

ezydriver:

tonyj105:

tony

Cammack & Wilcox !

Still see the ec 6 wheel rigid now and again. One of the alpha 44t went past about 5ish , got im on my cctv. I have a photo of their yard , its like going back 20 years. Seem to like daf cf’s now, old one’s , 55 to 59 plate mostly. I haven’t seen reddens e reg e series skip rigid lately , another regular past my house.
Tony

tonyj105:

SHUNT1986:

ezydriver:

tonyj105:

tony

Cammack & Wilcox !

Still see the ec 6 wheel rigid now and again. One of the alpha 44t went past about 5ish , got im on my cctv. I have a photo of their yard , its like going back 20 years. Seem to like daf cf’s now, old one’s , 55 to 59 plate mostly. I haven’t seen reddens e reg e series skip rigid lately , another regular past my house.
Tony

You can see an EC at the bottom of their yard in this 2019 street-view.

This thread just reminded me of the Renault Turbo Liner spotted heading North on the A34 last night. Looked to be UK reg

I just recalled that Crinan Boatyard had an war time Scammel I think (I am not that familiar with the ancient British lorries) still working there, I used even to see it driving around when I was still doing that corner of the woods, although I am not sure it was road legal. Still, I saw it working in the boatyard at least up to 2018. It had a modern HIAB crane fitted to it and I guess it just served as a crane there…

I also once met it when I parked up for the night at the backdoor Arran ferry slip:

SHUNT1986:

ezydriver:

tonyj105:

tony

Cammack & Wilcox !

took this photo of their yard late last year on my way for eggs.
tony

tonyj105:

SHUNT1986:

ezydriver:

tonyj105:

tony

Cammack & Wilcox !

took this photo of their yard late last year on my way for eggs.
tony

Their entire fleet are probably manuals. I bet they don’t use agency then :stuck_out_tongue:

manuals by the sound of some of the gearchanges , my missus reckons i take too long cleaning the bay , between gawping at lorries and talking to anybody who goes by. but you have to stop and just wait for a ■■■■■■■ or cat to go by, i’m right on traffic lights as well ,so i have them winding up to pull away . be a shame when the road at ditchford re opens , it’ll just be all the umpteen andrews 8 wheel poxy tippers , about 30 or 40 a day , bloody things.

tony

tonyj105:
manuals by the sound of some of the gearchanges , my missus reckons i take too long cleaning the bay , between gawping at lorries and talking to anybody who goes by. but you have to stop and just wait for a ■■■■■■■ or cat to go by, i’m right on traffic lights as well ,so i have them winding up to pull away . be a shame when the road at ditchford re opens , it’ll just be all the umpteen andrews 8 wheel poxy tippers , about 30 or 40 a day , bloody things.

tony

Funny you should say this, there’s a scaffolding company near me called Stirling, and they’ve got 2 or 3 20 year old Foden Alpha rigids. I can’t hear them from my house, but I often see them on the main road, and I love their engine note. They sound so different to 99.9% of everything else I hear.

nickyboy:
This thread just reminded me of the Renault Turbo Liner spotted heading North on the A34 last night. Looked to be UK reg

that could be Shaun McDermott from Leicestershire…was it cream and blue?

vwvanman0:

dave docwra:
I may have just caught sight of a working Ford Transcontinental on the A14 yesterday morning at about 6.30 am going west near Brampton Hut, did anyone else see it or am I losing the plot.

The owner of the transcontinental posts on the transcontinental fb page, he does car and motorhome collection all over Europe (believe it or not) he said he was in the uk this week, he enjoys the routiers and has modified the truck to suit his needs, seen it at Gaydon show and its a cracker.

Photo is from the net and not mine

Looks like he’s put a hi roof off a Turboliner for starters, has he done much with the interior?
Any pics?

I’m with Luke on the nostalgia/rose coloured specs bit.
I’d love to have another go on something with a 18 speed Fuller, I used to be able to get them all in without using a clutch, nothing cleverer than anybody else,.I just had a lot of experience on them,.and it made life easier.
I’d like a go on a TK Bedford again, just to see how much I suffered in total oblivion. :laughing:
I’d love a go on an 88/89 Volvo, just because it was the truck of my dreams as an impressionable (naive :smiley: ) young lad.

Would I swap any for a modern automatic ‘‘car like’’ truck… that you can teach a chimp to drive in comparison?.(as illustrated every day on the road :unamused: )
No chance.

Love seeing all these pics, brings back some great memories from when I first started driving trucks. Wish I had some old pics but I never seemed to carry a camera all these years ago.
A TK Rob! Really, an old Atki yeah but… I remember driving one (TK) when I only had a car licence (8.5t gross) . Loved the shelf behind the seats. This particular one was fitted with an 8 track and sounded great.(I think). Great times.

ezydriver:

tonyj105:

tony

Funny you should say this, there’s a scaffolding company near me called Stirling, and they’ve got 2 or 3 20 year old Foden Alpha rigids. I can’t hear them from my house, but I often see them on the main road, and I love their engine note. They sound so different to 99.9% of everything else I hear.

Saw a Foden Alpha artic with a flat all roped and sheeted in Birkenhead last week, not seen that combo in an age !

Speaking of Bedford TK, there is one in Dunoon, the guy seems to run it regularly into Glasgow, seen it a few times going over Rest And Be Thankful.

I think it’s some small smiddy workshop in there that uses it…

jakethesnake:
A TK Rob! Really, an old Atki yeah but… I remember driving one (TK) when I only had a car licence (8.5t gross) . Loved the shelf behind the seats.
k). Great times.

I did long distance tramping in mine…must have been mad, but hey I was young and keen. :smiley:
I remember taking a mate with me (who is now also a driver btw) he’s like me, over 6’, he kipped on the parcel shelf with his feet out of window :smiley: . (It rained one night on Aldgate East London roundabout lorry park, and he was up wringing out his sleeping bag while nursing a serious hangover…as was I,.after sampling the ‘stripper bars’. :laughing: )
I was across the seats…and my dog was on the floor sleeping on a bed of ropes. :smiley: nowadays I complain about lack of room in a big space cab 3x the size of the TK. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Crazy days, but I would not have missed them…the job was soooooo different in those days, it was actual ‘‘FUN’’.looking back. :bulb:

robroy:

jakethesnake:
A TK Rob! Really, an old Atki yeah but… I remember driving one (TK) when I only had a car licence (8.5t gross) . Loved the shelf behind the seats.
k). Great times.

I did long distance tramping in mine…must have been mad, but hey I was young and keen. :smiley:
I remember taking a mate with me (who is now also a driver btw) he’s like me, over 6’, he kipped on the parcel shelf with his feet out of window :smiley: . (It rained one night on Aldgate East London roundabout lorry park, and he was up wringing out his sleeping bag while nursing a serious hangover…as was I,.after sampling the ‘stripper bars’. :laughing: )
I was across the seats…and my dog was on the floor sleeping on a bed of ropes. :smiley: nowadays I complain about lack of room in a big space cab 3x the size of the TK. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Crazy days, but I would not have missed them…the job was soooooo different in those days, it was actual ‘‘FUN’’.looking back. :bulb:

Brilliant, never did any nights out in the TK but slept in many others without a proper bunk. One night in Blackpool after a few beers , me across the seats and me mate on the floor, think he used the pedals as a pillow. :laughing:

Remember on another occasion on my way to Aberdeen I think when the windscreen shattered. Went back to depot and boss said put a coat and a pair of sunglasses on and get going.
No way I said, then he offered me a bonus and off I went. As you say crazy days but real good fun. :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:

nickyboy:

that could be Shaun McDermott from Leicestershire…was it cream and blue?

It was, just seen the pic on the previous page. Was likely on the same day

switchlogic:
That old F88 often seen on M40 pulling logs I think beats anything! Often makes me laugh when pics pop up on Facebook any loads say they’d prefer that over a new truck. 90% would last an hour before they realise they’d made a mistake. 10% wouldn’t need 10 minutes. Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

There’s a black one down the West Country with a boat trailers I’ve seen