Older vehicle inspection frequency

The new edition of Maintaining Roadworthiness has just been published. This now contains a new “recommendation” from VoSA that vehicles and trailers which are 12 years old or more should now be subject to a Safety Inspection at least every 6 weeks. There is further “advice” about the number of brake test reports “expected” between MOTs.

gov.uk/government/publicati … worthiness

It seems to be worded a bit stronger than recommended. And the new guidance suggests I need to perform brake test every other inspection on my trailers. More costs, more time taking them for a brake test.
It seems vosa are again trying to mend something that isn’t broken.

Hmmm, not drawing a lot of interest this topic. Everyone must be inspecting older vehicles every 6 weeks already, and brake testing them every other inspection, including their trailers.

coiler:
Hmmm, not drawing a lot of interest this topic. Everyone must be inspecting older vehicles every 6 weeks already, and brake testing them every other inspection, including their trailers.

Tbh, I would have thought it was common sense to inspect older vehicles more frequently, they’re the ones that will have more defects!

I’m not sure about the brake testing, i haven’t read the new guide yet, it sounds a good idea but I wouldn’t want a pg9 if I took a vehicle for a voluntary brake test!

I’m planning on having a proper read through over the weekend.

Although it sounds like commonsense. I’m not sure about its basis in reality vehicles tend to be well maintained or not.

It’s also a bit of a contradiction. Vehicles on long inspection intervals tend to be vehicles that aren’t used much so typically the vehicles are elderly as it would make no sense to buy new.

Elderly vehicles, and particularly ones which are not used on a more or less daily basis, suffer from what is referred to by those of us in the black hand gang who have to deal with it as ‘standing-still disease’. It would seem to be that this one of the issues vosa is trying to address.

my trucks 9yrs old and it gets inspected every 5 weeks wether it needs it or not :wink:

I’ve been 6 weeks for 10 years wether he’s been brand new kit or 20 year old kit.

It is a bit inflexible to be fair, I just can’t be arsed ringing them up & engaging.

at my old employer the 5 trucks and 6 trailers were inspected every four weeks but were over the pit every weekend just incase there was any impending disasters waiting too happen

I moved from 6 weekly inspections to 8 weekly about 4 years ago, mainly to save money, but also not a lot of defects were being picked up on and between inspections. Vosa were quite happy when they visited me, I have a green ocrs with a first time pass rate of 98%. Why should I have to inspect my older vehicle/trailers more often because a vehicle reaches it’s 12th birthday?

is it a guideline or a rule so the day before its 12 its classed service wise a totally different to the day after all my trailers are old but they are in a dam site better condition to some of the newer crap we’ve dragged round

Its a bit like triggers brush,10 year old,its had 4 new heads,and 6 new shafts.