Older Tomtoms with Truck SD card

Im in need of a new satnav and was looking at the older tomtoms on ebay that come loaded with the latest truck software.

Just wondering if anyone knows the difference between the model numbers ie 520 740 920 etc and whether they have lane information or not? By lane info, I mean do they tell you what lane you should be in as the newer satnavs do?

1ntense:
Im in need of a new satnav and was looking at the older tomtoms on ebay that come loaded with the latest truck software.

Just wondering if anyone knows the difference between the model numbers ie 520 740 920 etc and whether they have lane information or not? By lane info, I mean do they tell you what lane you should be in as the newer satnavs do?

Lane guidance comes with the map and operating system so assuming that you but a sat-nav with not too old a map on it then lane guidance should be on it.

If you’re buying a sat-nav off eBay I wouldn’t worry about the truck software, just buy the Tomtom and install the operating system and truck map yourself.

You can get all the information and help you need at Navitotal.com, there are also plenty of us on this site that have done this so help shouldn’t be far away :wink:

No

I’ve been wondering about this. So, if I get this right, you get a cheap 2nd hand tom tom, and then choose a suitable navcore download depending on which model range it is 7■■ 8■■ or 9■■.
Then you use some software on your laptop to make an SD card containing the navcore image you have downloaded.
Finally you add maps.

Is that the gist of it?
thanks
Tim

I was given an old TomTom by a friend who upgraded. I had a guy on eBay send TOMTOM truck software on a SD card he even installed the software by remote computer connection for me very cheap compared to buying new. web_bargin_seller Is his eBay ID very good when you ask him anything.

hey tacho, wonder if you can help.
I have a 910 that broke so bought a kit to make it into 710 with sd slot iv also got a new 910 with upto date map and have tried putting it onto the sd its not micro just normal sd but when done it wont work on 710 can you help pls

iceman1:
hey tacho, wonder if you can help.
I have a 910 that broke so bought a kit to make it into 710 with sd slot iv also got a new 910 with upto date map and have tried putting it onto the sd its not micro just normal sd but when done it wont work on 710 can you help pls

I didn’t know you could convert a 910 into a 710 until I read your post and did a Google search.

Anyway, you cannot just copy an operating system or maps over to another Tomtom, as far as I’m aware they’re registered to the specific device, so to make the map work on a different device you would need to activate the map, the best way is to use FastActivate from Navitotal.

th2013:
I’ve been wondering about this. So, if I get this right, you get a cheap 2nd hand tom tom, and then choose a suitable navcore download depending on which model range it is 7■■ 8■■ or 9■■.
Then you use some software on your laptop to make an SD card containing the navcore image you have downloaded.
Finally you add maps.

Is that the gist of it?
thanks
Tim

That’s pretty much the gist of it yes, as you may expect it can be a bit confusing the first time but you should get there in the end :wink:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: tell you what lane to be in :unamused: do they tell you when to apply the brakes as well :unamused: When we stop concentrating on our surroundings and road signs that’s when accidents happen.

I have (quite a few) Tomtom 920 with the very latest Maps, very easy to update and never let me down, it used to try and send me through the Blackwall Tunnel instead of the Dartford Tunnel a few Maps ago, lol.
If you need any help just ask, loads of ‘us’ use and update our Tomtoms. I may have one knocking around you could let you have cheap as ■■■■■ naff battery life, so will need plugging in all the time. I’ll have a look next weekend if you’re interested.

Most batteries are about £10, and aren’t hard to do.

Ken.

Quinny:
Most batteries are about £10, and aren’t hard to do.

Ken.

They are if you have big fat chunky fingers, lol. Been there and done ‘it’, broke the ribbon trying to get it back in.

Mine tells me when to eat, sleep and have a dump. Do you want a link to it? :laughing:
Tell you what lane to be in? FFS. :laughing:
The new age driver. This has got to be one of the best yet. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:
Mine tells me when to eat, sleep and have a dump. Do you want a link to it? :laughing:
Tell you what lane to be in? FFS. :laughing:
The new age driver. This has got to be one of the best yet. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I want one which can tell me in advance if I’m going to lose my job by hitting a bridge it didn’t know about and therefore cannot be there, so hitting it can’t be my fault, right?

Hi Yorky, thanks for the offer mate. I may well take you up on that…

Im looking for one asap really, do you have any with a working battery at all though.

Pm me when you get a min please bud.

Oh yeah, does anyone know what the difference between the 7■■ 8■■ and 9XXs?

Oh yeah, does anyone know what the difference between the 7■■ 8■■ and 9XXs?

[/quote]
By lane info, I mean do they tell you what lane you should be in as the newer satnavs do?
[/quote]
you wanna get the latest tom tom truck sat nav
it tells you how to blindside into a tight customers yard by talking you through it

X30 series have SD slot on bottom and free traffic via external aerial

x40 series have micro sd slot on bottom and internal traffic aerial (on subscriton) -

But for both if you buy the official RDS/12v power supply from eBay for around £20 you get free traffic updates on the tomtom

the different versions ie 530,730 and 930 is etc is to do with the internal memory and processor speeds… I personally tell other truckers to buy a 930 or 940 and a 4GB SD card and your machine will be flying :wink:

HTH