Older LGV learner

Good morning all

I’m new to the forum having moved from the Isle of Skye (running a B&B for 10 years) to Fakenham in Norfolk. My wife is semi-retired but being her toy-boy at the age of 56 have decided to try my luck driving HGV’s. I reckon I have a good 10 years left before I decide to retire and wanted to do something that I always fancied as a boy. Passed my medical in Dec 14 & then booked my theory & hazard perception tests for late Jan. Passed those in Kings Lynn (Pearson guys in the test centre were v.helpful and got me places on the day earlier than expected - was out by 0930) with 95 on theory & 79 on haz perception (lost 5 marks for overclicking!).

Now got my C category training on the 11-13th Feb with East Coast Driver Training in Norwich with my test at 1pm on Friday 13th (lucky I’m not supersitious) and my 35 hours CPC training booked for the end of March. My queries are as follows:

1. Anybody faced any problems being an older driver looking for work? I know it’s a problem when you get to your fifties in most lines of work but not sure about transport. I have had 7.5 tonne experience - most recently when I moved ourselves from Skye to Norfolk.

2. Any experience of Hauliers in Norfolk around Fakenham, Dereham, Swaffham or even Norwich/Kings Lynn as wondering who to approach after I get my licence (touch wood)?

Any comment gratefully received :laughing:

Hi I will see you next week as I’m doing my artic licence with east coast but the 2 1/2 day course with my test wednesday morning .
In Fakenham you have Jack Richards transport other than that Google haulage companies Norfolk to give you an idea of who else is out there also when you are at east coast ask your instructor as they should have a good idea of the haulage firms out there .

You are my age !

With the current job situation much better than what it was I do not think you will have too much trouble finding work but it could be very physical

I’m 55 this year and started driving last April, (7.5Tonners) and have been working since, apart from a few days just before Christmas and have done on average two days a week in Jan. I’m currently doing Cat C and lovin’ it and have been discussing Class 2 possibilities with the agencies I’m signed with. Depends on the relationship you build up, imo.
If you prefer to avoid agencies, I’m not best placed to say anything…
Good luck!

im 57 ,passed my class 2 in October last year . spent November ringing up and knocking on doors . started with an agency in December steel then fridges now into my 4th week full time with a family firm . decent work,wages ,kit and good people to work for . age equals common sense (allegedly :smiley: ) if you have the right attitude there is work out there . good luck

Try Star transport or Su Bridges pet food distribution near Thetford.

There are far more older drivers than younger ones from what I see out and about. I don’t know what the average trucker age is in the UK but I reckon it might be close to fifty.

As long as you have a licence and good health it shouldn’t be a problem. If there are loads to be moved, and trucks idle through driver shortages, they’ll take a chance with whoever they can find. Business is business…

Good luck to you! :slight_smile:

I passed today and I’m only 24 haha

Thanks for all the comments & advice - now really looking forward to my C practical training next week :laughing:

53 passed class c in November and got a driving assessment in a c+e next week , good on you for going for it , with age comes wisdom well that’s what they say anyway

iHarry:

I passed last year when I was 23!

Radar19:

iHarry:

Ah wicked haha! How long did it take you find a jobonce you passed?

Class C passed new years eve , first day of training in c+e today and 48 :smiley:

Passed my class 2 and class 1 when I was 41. Did a bit of class 2 cover straight away at the place I worked at. Just before I hit 43 I was made up to the only class 2 driver, and 12 months later to the week, I jumped ship and went full time class 1 tramping.

Living the dream :slight_smile:

Zeethron:
Now got my C category training on the 11-13th Feb with East Coast Driver Training in Norwich with my test at 1pm on Friday 13th (lucky I’m not supersitious) and my 35 hours CPC training booked for the end of March. My queries are as follows:

Am I missing something here? You going for your Class C licence tomorrow and 35 hours CPC training booked at the end of the march :confused: :confused: did you do CPC before as I think if your doing it for the first time it requires a test at the test center not 35 hours training.

Forcas:

Zeethron:

Am I missing something here? You going for your Class C licence tomorrow and 35 hours CPC training booked at the end of the march :confused: :confused: did you do CPC before as I think if your doing it for the first time it requires a test at the test center not 35 hours training.

By the sounds of it he has C1 on his licence so he only requires the 35hrs CPC, correct me if i’m wrong.

yes - I have a C1 on my licence so can skip the initial CPC part and just go straight onto the 35 hours. Regretfully, late March was the earliest date I could get. Depending on how this week pans out I was considering doing the C+E as well but I’ll see how I cope with the C.

Zeethron:
yes - I have a C1 on my licence so can skip the initial CPC part and just go straight onto the 35 hours. Regretfully, late March was the earliest date I could get. Depending on how this week pans out I was considering doing the C+E as well but I’ll see how I cope with the C.

your best bet would have been to use a trainer where the C and CE training was approved for DCPC so you could have got at least 28 hours of the 35 needed

your best bet would have been to use a trainer where the C and CE training was approved for DCPC so you could have got at least 28 hours of the 35 needed

True, in hindsight that would have been the best option. But I reckon I dodged a bullet by not signing up with a broker - one of them had me on the phone for ages promising the earth but I recognise a snake-oil salesman when I hear one (I used to be in sales myself) so saved a few hundred pounds at least by not going down that route. :smiley:

iHarry:

Radar19:

iHarry:

Ah wicked haha! How long did it take you find a jobonce you passed?

i passed myn last aguest and i was 21 :slight_smile: