Old Wagons You Could Still Use

What old school lorries would you be happy to do a days’ work with? Aside from Foden 3 and 4000 series (naturally :laughing: )
I’d be happy to drive a Merc SK. I’d love to say a Leyland Bison but I fear that might start the Rose Tinters calling for AEC Mammoth Majors!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Saw this yesterday.

Pretty much anything post 1975. If I had to single out one machine, well, that’d be anything 2 or 3 series Scania.

Like to have a go in an F10

EC11

Happy days driving a leyland bison but not sure I would want to rope & sheet one now or drive hundreds of miles in one. Bit of a bone shaker!

I’m a bit young to remember fodens but I keep
Hearing them in this site all the time with the old hands. I haven’t got my license yet, but what’s the big deal like?

Is it the trucking world equivalent of say a mk1 ford ■■■■■■ (sought after classic for example) or were they ahead of their time or were they much more powerful with there being less emissions regs’ etc?

Just curious

:slight_smile:

Saaamon:
EC11

+1
I miss my old EC11 too.

Nothing, just like I have no interest in using a mobile phone from 1998.

I don’t think that I would choose any of the old trucks over a modern one for a days work, but if just for a bit of nostalgia,
I wouldn’t mind playing with, Guy Big J4T, Scania 110, Ford Transcontinental 4435 and finally a Scamell Townsman for a few miles.

switchlogic:
Nothing, just like I have no interest in using a mobile phone from 1998.

Very true, I much prefer modern trucks and phones :smiley:

ERF EC11 with Eaton Twin split.
Volvo F10.
Leyland Roadtrain.

Mk 2 antar very vasic but the engine makes up for that.

Quite happy with my new Volvo auto but I think the MAN 331 would still cut the mustard on tipper work. Think scania 2 series on and Volvo f10 12 types onwards still would.

Muckaway:

Saw this yesterday.

I do like the look of them old scania s in a 8 wheeler there’s an n reg one still working round east London

damoq:

Saaamon:
EC11

+1
I miss my old EC11 too.

The 11 litre just didn’t quite cut it for me, however, the engine in this this did:

ERF EC14.jpg

At the end of the day they’re great to reminisce about but lets be honest time moves on! And old 141 or aec mandator to go to shows would be fine but wouldn’t be wanting to do a weeks work in one!

Got passed on the M-Way tonight by a Scania Series 3 Streamliner, reg started N104 but in the dark I couldn’t see if it was a 113 or a 143

I wonder how many eaton twins are still around that havn’t been destroyed or worn out tho lol, nightmare when they aren’t working 100% !!!

dew:
Got passed on the M-Way tonight by a Scania Series 3 Streamliner, reg started N104 but in the dark I couldn’t see if it was a 113 or a 143

It’s amazing what you can find on Google!!

m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=7273683994