old tippers

whats oldest tipper still making a living

Could it be this one.Talking to the owner last year and he was still pulling stone from the quarries in Buxton.I took this photo in the Rochdale area at the time.
B reg ERF Aug 84/85

This one is a 1991 J reg Scania still grafting for P P O Connor.Again taken in Whitworth Rochdale last year.

8578319318_2a12c162d1_z.jpg

I know of a 142 unit with a tipper trailer if that counts

Sorry no picture and not much info. but we have an ancient 4 wheel Leyland tipper still working locally. It’s owner driven (daily) owner maintained and he’s 76 years old. He only does small local jobs with it, never over stresses it, it’s like going back in time. The reason I know of it is he delivered be (via a third party), 6 ton of ■■■■■■■■ into my back yard. He’s a great old guy and his motor is in A1 nick.

grumpy old man:
Sorry no picture and not much info. but we have an ancient 4 wheel Leyland tipper still working locally. It’s owner driven (daily) owner maintained and he’s 76 years old. He only does small local jobs with it, never over stresses it, it’s like going back in time. The reason I know of it is he delivered be (via a third party), 6 ton of ■■■■■■■■ into my back yard. He’s a great old guy and his motor is in A1 nick.

If it’s the same one I’m thinking of its c reg leyland Freighter ( Clydesdale with fancy knickers on ) grand old lad who owns it, did a bit of tipping with our firm in Harrogate about ten years ago.
Glad to hear he’s still going.
Jim

This one?

HNB 956V Leyland Clydesdale Tipper P Dodgson Heaton Chapel by wheelsnwings2007/Mike, on Flickr

fryske:
This one?

HNB 956V Leyland Clydesdale Tipper P Dodgson Heaton Chapel by wheelsnwings2007/Mike, on Flickr

No fryske

it isn’t that one, fine yoke though it is
Jim

Seen this the day at a show

JFC999:

fryske:
This one?

No fryske

it isn’t that one, fine yoke though it is
Jim

These Leyland Clydesdales took a bit of beating in their day, I ran this one for a long time, I only wish that I had kept it, It was a great motor, & never caused any problems at all , Regards Larry.

First real wagon I drove Larry, Clydesdale skip wagon 401 engine DB 6 speed gearbox simple aso you like , no ABS , EBS computer management ■■■■■ ! Not very reliable though , cylinder head probs and pistons I seem to recall.
Jim.

This one is still hauling lime,along with a V reg Leyland Bison,as seen on my Avatar.

I’d love to do a day on an old tipper, something about taking an old motor out always appeals to me. I took out our work weary 05 reg CF the other day as the driver had to go to Weybridge en route to Kent whereas I was working in the West Midlands. Our TM sounded surprised when I opted to take the old wagon rather than swap runs (I was back before the other driver though :smiling_imp: ).
Anyway, I’d happily take out any of these tippers (maybe not full time though :laughing: )
Leyland Bison or Constructor, Foden 4000 or the earlier Fleet/Haulmaster versions, Ford Cargo (God knows why).
I wonder if plant operators hark for a day on a Poclain 60 or an International 175? :laughing:

did many a day on a reiver 6 wheeler on muck away great old motor
foden haulmaster 8 wheeler and scamell routman 8 wheeler were top motors for muckaway

I’m surprised at the number of old tippers still working within the London LEZ. I’ve seen seres one Alphas, Volvo FL10s, ERF ECs and yesterday an old shape Hino.

Could be that they are classed as construction vehicles Nathan.

Exemptions from the LEZ

Your vehicle will be exempt from the LEZ if it is registered in Great Britain, designed for mainly off-road use and is occasionally used on roads. In such cases, your vehicle does not need to be registered with TfL and is not subject to the daily charge. Exempt vehicles include:

agricultural and forestry tractors
mowing machines
agricultural and farm machinery and equipment
mobile cranes
road and building construction machinery
historic vehicles - built before 1 January 1973
military vehicles
If your vehicle is registered outside Great Britain - including Northern Ireland - you must register with TfL to be exempt from the LEZ charges.

Cars, motorcycles and small vans not over 3.5 tonnes unladen weight are exempt from LEZ charges.

Is that different to general tippers then Dave? When I was on Smiths, I lost out on London deliveries because my Alpha fell foul of the 2012 regs.

I don’t know Nathan. There must be a loophole in the LEZ rules for muck haul wagons working in the place, as there is always a lot of huge sites on the go.
Cheers Dave.

No exemptions for tippers, some older motors did meet LEZ requirements,what some guys I know did with non compliant vehicles was pay from £3,500-5,000 for exhaust modification/conversions that complied with LEZ this was quite common,my MAN would have needed modification but I didn’t feel it viable hence the purchase of a Hino!

You might’ve seen it Splitshift as I see it around the A406, is an ex Hansons ERF EC but with a muck body retrofitted. Surely modifying the exhaust system and replacing the body would be dearer than buying another wagon? Unless the operator is an ERF fan I suppose?
Still, it looks healthier than many of Walshs’ motors. :laughing: