Golden-Oldies from my collection

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

Guesty44:
Anybody remember j m burgess- (l/pool)-Alfred Dexter (l/pool) 1960-70s

hi there gusty44
thanks for posting those great photos they bring back a lot old memories,the old bulwark albion looks to have had a hard life.
thanks again
regards sm1

snowman1:
hi there gusty44
thanks for posting those great photos they bring back a lot old memories,the old bulwark albion looks to have had a hard life.
thanks again
regards sm1

Hiya “snowman” I think it would take forever to fill it with that pipe “eh”
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Stay Happy
GUESTY44.

I remember Alfred Dexter ,I worked for them in 1958/9 as a second man they worked out of canning place in Liverpool most morning had to meet with driver at queens square market to tip a load of fruit I had to travel from Birkenhead every morning but I was lucky trucks from North wales came to the market every morning so got a lift everyday ,it was hard going the second men all young lads had to stay till all vehicles where loaded for the night man you could be with 3drivers in a day and to be honest a bigger bunch of tosses I ever worked with quite often left to load 20ton fruit or whatever by myself and sheet and rope it while the drivers went to the pub and the abuse I got if it was not done when they came out of the pub I won’t name names but I will name 1driver called John Roberts an absolute gent stayed with me all the time and really showed me the job a really good guy I often wonder what happened to him the manager named Rook was another ■■■■■■ a cockney git another ok guy Frank Hill went to J&H I left after 6months could not stand working with them I went on to work for Liverpool Wharehousing,Jarvis Robinson(top job top guys) Liverpool cartage Jones Transport Services (Widnes) drove my first 2stroke Foden there Wharton/Ritsons meat haulage then worked back on the Wirral driving Tankers, pickfords,jet ,As Jones PLTranstore united tankers just finished 15months ago at 71 50years on the road but dexters toughened me up for life on the road but don’t have fond memories of dexter

Thanks guessty for the Bulwark pictures I worked for Ancliff in Ellsmere Port part of the Bulwark group got sent to Chippenham on a course for 2weeks I don’t know if many people know this but they had a tanker with the front half of the artic tanker was turned into an office with windows and we all sat in this while waiting our turn to drive it was interesting to see the tractor unit turning while sitting above it I have seen this outfit on the Bulwark web site it was pulled by a Seddon tractor unit this outfit was used in a TV series in the 70s I can’t think of the name but it was similar to the professionals these guy needed to get into a factory so they put the front of the tank back as normal and put a door on the back of the tank climbed in and where driven into the factory does anybody else remember this show and saw that episode?p

dexterboy:
I remember Alfred Dexter ,I worked for them in 1958/9 as a second man they worked out of canning place in Liverpool most morning had to meet with driver at queens square market to tip a load of fruit I had to travel from Birkenhead every morning but I was lucky trucks from North wales came to the market every morning so got a lift everyday ,it was hard going the second men all young lads had to stay till all vehicles where loaded for the night man you could be with 3drivers in a day and to be honest a bigger bunch of tosses I ever worked with quite often left to load 20ton fruit or whatever by myself and sheet and rope it while the drivers went to the pub and the abuse I got if it was not done when they came out of the pub I won’t name names but I will name 1driver called John Roberts an absolute gent stayed with me all the time and really showed me the job a really good guy I often wonder what happened to him the manager named Rook was another ■■■■■■ a cockney git another ok guy Frank Hill went to J&H I left after 6months could not stand working with them I went on to work for Liverpool Wharehousing,Jarvis Robinson(top job top guys) Liverpool cartage Jones Transport Services (Widnes) drove my first 2stroke Foden there Wharton/Ritsons meat haulage then worked back on the Wirral driving Tankers, pickfords,jet ,As Jones PLTranstore united tankers just finished 15months ago at 71 50years on the road but dexters toughened me up for life on the road but don’t have fond memories of dexter

Hi “Dexterboy” it is possible that that we have run together as I was on Sykes Bulk Liquids 75 to 84 and we did a lot with Norco and PL Transtore both UK and Euro work, a few I can recall now are Davie H who then started Britannia Tankers Barry Mac and John the preacher
cheers Johnnie

dexterboy:

Hiya "dexterboy"I also worked on a casual basis for Dexter-Burgess tpt.Till I was taken on full time at Daniels on the square were
I passed my test when I was 17yrs old (Pic-Thames Traders forum) We got a shilling then for barrowing to different stalls.

Daniels Queens Square past my test.After barrowing up and down the
Yes John skarsden was my regular driver never ever thought that us kids needed feeding.Frank Collierbaker was another.
Left with the pup at husky and alex and queens then got a slap if it wasn’t sheeted and all the labels out,Soon how to rope and sheet
mega fast they had hand like shovels.Many great memory’s.Terry Smith was old friend of mine from Skenes you may Know him.
Take care.
GUESTY44 :smiley:

Guesty-17yrs.png

Thank you johnny from Sykes yes I remember them coming into PL Transtore for a wash and loading I loved that job really good guys we had some laughs (memo to new drivers you where allowed to laugh back in the day) when you think of all the Tanker firms long gone it’s very sad arrow bulk S&R Harold Woods. Crow carrying Anciff Bulwark it just goes on and on ,I worked on Ancliff in Ellsmere Port top job top guys I still have friends from them days Thanks for the mail Johnny

Thank you Guesty 44 for you mail I used to like The square of a morning very busy hustle and bustle I never pushed carts I bet that was hard going It got hard for me when we left the market to load for the night trunk if this vehicle was going to load pallets of soap at levers I was dropped of to a handball load do that dropped off at another one and sometimes the driver would leave me and go to the pub but every dog has his day one day a very hot day we went some where to load boxes of lard the driver went to the pub you can imagine ,lard and very hot day don’t mix it should have gone onto a insulated van by the time I was putting the corner boards on it was not looking good finished sheeting driver came out snarled at me as usual and off we went 20minutes later the load slipped ,it had to be transhipped onto another motor, cops came driver done for insecure load but could not tell the boss he was in the pub god works in unusual ways oh how I laughed on the Ferry on the way home I should have said the Lard works in unusual ways keep posting you pictures love them

dexterboy:
Thank you Guesty 44 for you mail I used to like The square of a morning very busy hustle and bustle I never pushed carts I bet that was hard going It got hard for me when we left the market to load for the night trunk if this vehicle was going to load pallets of soap at levers I was dropped of to a handball load do that dropped off at another one and sometimes the driver would leave me and go to the pub but every dog has his day one day a very hot day we went some where to load boxes of lard the driver went to the pub you can imagine ,lard and very hot day don’t mix it should have gone onto a insulated van by the time I was putting the corner boards on it was not looking good finished sheeting driver came out snarled at me as usual and off we went 20minutes later the load slipped ,it had to be transhipped onto another motor, cops came driver done for insecure load but could not tell the boss he was in the pub god works in unusual ways oh how I laughed on the Ferry on the way home I should have said the Lard works in unusual ways keep posting you pictures love them

hist_docks (2).gif

Hi guesty so this is where you hide some great pics,are they as old as you :smiley: Speke soon mickyp

Mickyp:
Hi guesty so this is where you hide some great pics,are they as old as you :smiley: Speke soon mickyp

Hiya Mick. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Another Golden Oldie This international Harvester is still
grafting up & down for bits each day (1935 Relic )
GUESTY44

More Golden Oldies. :smiley:
Relic.jpg

Guesty44:

Mickyp:

Hiya Mick. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Another Golden oldie thats still making a crust.

GUESTY44

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

Mickyp:

Hiya Mick. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Another Golden oldie thats still making a crust.

GUESTY44

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

Guesty44:
Anybody remember j m burgess- (l/pool)-Alfred Dexter (l/pool) 1960-70s

What a great photo to say nothing of the sheeting and roping,very smart all round.

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

Mickyp:

GUESTY44

Just a couple more you may enjoy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: