Old style trucking in Canada

I came across this site over the weekend and am now suffering sleep deprivation as I’ve been reading through the stories of Canadian trucking in the 1950’s. (So far, theres still more to go…)

They are a bit different to Coffeeholic’s trip diaries :smiley:

The story about the Leyland Hippo from a Canadian point of view is especially good.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Calv

Thanks for the link, Calv, a great read.

I went to Toronto in 1973 to visit family. While I was there I obtained a CN (Canadian National) rail map of Canada. On one of the pages there was a photo of an ergomatic cab Leyland artic in the rail companies colours. I now wish I had kept it.
I also had an uncle who used to work at Albion in Glagow years before and he showed me a Leyland group magazine showing a Leyland LAD cab unit in New York.
Alex

Hi Alex saville, When I emigrated to Canada in 63, the only home grown trucks that I remember were called Canada’s, they were two axle tractor units with a Leyland 680 diesel engine with a International cab, The firm that ran them were called Hanson, who I would assume had some connection with Hanson in the UK because they were painted in the same shade of red. .I worked for Tippet Richardson ,Front St Toronto on Allied Van Lines, running stateside eastern seaboard Best Wishes. Alec McCance. PS, all the other trucks were mostly B61 Mack’s, Internationals, the odd K100 Kenworth,& F 700 Macks. All the best to you.Alec McCance.

Hello Alec, maybe you saw some of these Leylands on your travels many years ago. :slight_smile:
Mary Hanson started off with a horse and cart carrying wool from Huddersfield to Manchester using the pack horse routes back in the 1800’s. Somebody once told me that when road transport was nationalised in 1948 Hanson’s lost half of their fleet and decided to start a depot in Canada and as far as I know Hanson are still running out of Huddersfield.

Hello Mushroom man, my, that picture of the Canadian trucks takes me back to 1963in Toronto, anybody hearing these motors would recognize the sound of that old Leyland 680.the truck I used to drive was a K model
International with a 40ft single axle van with the trailer axle right at the rear , that used to be a bit of a dog if delivering to New York City, I’ve got plenty of photos of my time in road transport 1955 to 2015,( seen a few changes). I must find a way of getting these pictures on the Truck Net.ime sure someone would find them interesting.( God ime rambling on a bit here). All the best Alec McCance.

To Mushroom man,I’ve just realised your out in Queensland.I have a mate that lives in Brisbane,at a place called TheGap.iKnow that Queensland is a hell of a big , he’s been there since 1959. Cheers mate Alec

Hi Alec, The Gap is just down the road from me (about 300 k’s). Please put your old photos on this site as I am sure that there are hundreds of people on here who would love to see them.

Regards Steve.