Old Sat-Nav's!

Is the firmware up to date on your older Sat-Nav devices? I was reading about a upcoming event last night (Weak number rollover) which will happen on the 6th April 2019 which could leave many older sat nav devices useless. I got in touch with my mate who knows a bit about this stuff and he said " I heard something about the coding for GPS satellites. Has to do with time synchronisation I think. Some old Coding used x many bits for recording time correction or something and that value is about to run out. Newer stuff uses larger number."
They said the next time something like this happens will be in around 150 years time.

I’ve just been in touch with the place I bought mine from (Xgody)as I’ve never updated the firmware in mine but it has been accurate, more so than the Sat-nav in my Kia Niro hybrid.

My sat nav is old and has never been updated, a few months ago it started registering the time as an hour forward. I checked the date that it thinks it is, it’s the year 2099 apparently! The good news is that since the clocks went forward the time is now correct. For now.

There’s a thread about that on here, couple weeks ago, bit like the y2k fiasco,
It’s sat nav company’s trying to scare people.

itl be worse when brexit kicks in… :open_mouth:

Will my UK sat nav be able to even find Belgium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not just old Sat Navs, we have some that are in vehicles that are two years old that are having updates, most of the TomTom units require but strangely the TomTom 6250 we have seems to be one that we don’t need to update.

OMG! Can you imagine the chaos, all them lorries unable to leave the yard or thousands of lorries aimlessly circling or, worse still crashing into bridges, stuck in country lanes etc.
Best invest in some “maps”, remember them.

Do the maps you speak of update every few minutes with traffic information of the route your on :question: :unamused:

Yeah the maps update on a regular basis via the cb radio-so much more reliable and friendly than other methods :smiley:

I’ll stick with the info from the Sat Nav, dumped the CB back in the eighties, to much crap that I can do without.
Plus the negotiation of the back streets of London Town is soo much easier than trying to read a map, wouldn’t want to back to that again.

dieseldog999:
itl be worse when brexit kicks in… :open_mouth:

LOL :smiley: There’s something weird going on!!! I’ve used the the Sat-Nav in my Kia Niro car four times in the last month or so and it’s taken me to a wrong address every single ■■■■ time even though I’ve typed in the correct postcode :imp:

As Appy says get some maps :stuck_out_tongue: , I have a big bag full of A-Z map books, before I retired I could read those at arms length but nowadays I cant read a single street name on them :unamused:

Appy:
OMG! Can you imagine the chaos, all them lorries unable to leave the yard or thousands of lorries aimlessly circling or, worse still crashing into bridges, stuck in country lanes etc.

Nah those guys who absolutely depend on sat navs carry a spare so I’m told :unamused: . :laughing: imagine the drama if the spare one also went ■■■■ up though. :open_mouth:
Reckon they’d ring in sick. :smiley:

robroy:
those guys who absolutely depend on sat navs carry a spare so I’m told

Thats far from the worst problem - what happens when the cig lighter / hella socket fuse goes.

Got to phone into office to get someone to pick us up and have two days off with stress, or would do if we knew where we were. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Never used a sat nav in 37 years of lorry driving.
I do possess an above average geographical knowledge and a rather old road atlas.
As far as I am aware , villages, towns and city"s don’t move.

Suedehead:
Never used a sat nav in 37 years of lorry driving.
I do possess an above average geographical knowledge and a rather old road atlas.
As far as I am aware , villages, towns and city"s don’t move.

Come on mate, maybe they don’t, but roads move though, or rather are replaced with different routes in.
I’ve been in the game longer than you even, but you need to move with the times ffs, if there is a way of doing the job easier, why resist it ?..cutting nose off/spite face situation I reckon.

My A to Zs dated back as far as around 83, and apart from anything else I can’t ■■■■ read the miniscule print anymore, so I ditched them, but just replaced my 1996 edition bridge map.

Ok, I just started using sat navs about 10yrs ago (bog standard car type, no need for an overpriced bells and whistles edition) I certainly don’t totally rely on it, but I certainly wouldn’t be without it.

You’ve got to admit that in a town or city the last 4 or 5 miles are more easily achieved by using a sat nav than sat with a map across your steering wheel.
The problem is not sat navs, it’s the chumps who are incapable of doing the job without them rather than looking upon them as a guide.

Might be coincidence, but mine started losing GPS constantly yesterday, (first day back since 6 April) still doing it today, my sat nav is about 4 years old…anybody else or just me?

What am I gonna do■■? :open_mouth: We’re doomed. :open_mouth:
Oooh the drama,
:laughing:
If what o/p says is right, will have to get one that’s going to last me 150 years.

trevHCS:

robroy:
those guys who absolutely depend on sat navs carry a spare so I’m told

Thats far from the worst problem - what happens when the cig lighter / hella socket fuse goes.

Got to phone into office to get someone to pick us up and have two days off with stress, or would do if we knew where we were. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Agency lad…

(of which I am too) left our yard, zig-zagged across Lincs and then stopped in a lay-by near Peterborough. He then just sat there until the customer rang our office asking where their delivery had got to. We then rang the driver to be informed that his sat-nav had stopped working and he was waiting for us to ring him with what he should do next.

I have an old navman
Turned it ontoday to enter an address in Doncaster.
Then get a messages something along lines of maps outof date . No maps available.
Turned it off back on again and working ok upto now.
Although other day in London it was in a mood had mind of it’s own but I put this to to all the stupidly tall buildings blocking the signal

Update… as I know my dilemna has everybody on the edge of their seat. :laughing:
Rang a mate who told me how to re.boot it, works fine now :sunglasses: .

So I can now forget about the ovedose, and get away from this MSA I’ve been sat on for 4 hours wondering how I was going to cope with life here on after without a sat nav. … :laughing:

robroy:
My A to Zs dated back as far as around 83, and apart from anything else I can’t [zb] read the miniscule print anymore, so I ditched them, but just replaced my 1996 edition bridge map.

My Dad showed me one of his atlases recently and it had no M42 on it. No M25. No A14. Would be pretty useless to use nowadays :smiley:

The problem is not sat navs, it’s the chumps who are incapable of doing the job without them rather than looking upon them as a guide.

I’ll go along with that. I’m confident I could navigate to most places just as quickly as any of the old timers on here just using my sat nav and a bit of common sense. If it makes the job easier, which i’m 100% certain it does given the alternatives, then I fail to see why they get so much hate.

All the haters will be retired soon anyway. I wonder what the next generation will ■■■■■ about :grimacing: